Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

123.ie - Cancelled policy!

• 05-08-2019 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Hello all,

I hope you are enjoying the Bank Holiday weekend. Basically I've recently had my car insurance policy cancelled. I was covered with 123.Ie for the last few months as a learner driver, I've since passed my test.

They claimed I was driving above the speed limit (about 5/10km over) on two occasions. (The box fitted to my car measured speed, usage and smoothness) I could see how I was doing via an app.

I was just wondering if any has any experience with this? I've just started driving and yes granted I should have been more conscious with the box in. I've rang a broker and no luck. It's proving next to impossible to get insurance as I officially now have a cancelled policy on my history? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

It's not going to be good for you. This is why some people recommend not getting the box and just paying the extra. Was fitting the box a condition of them accepting you?

I think if you're rejected by 3 companies, someone then has to quote you. It will not be cheap. I'd guess €3-4k.
    If you are refused motor insurance

Individual insurers have the right to refuse you cover, but they must provide you with a reason for the refusal should you ask for one. However, even though you have been refused cover, you are entitled to go to the Declined Cases Committee of Insurance Ireland who will obtain an insurance quotation for you. In order for the Committee to consider your case you must first have sought and been refused quotations in writing from at least three insurers.

That's from:
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_insurance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

Wheety wrote: »
    It's not going to be good for you. This is why some people recommend not getting the box and just paying the extra. Was fitting the box a condition of them accepting you?

I think if you're rejected by 3 companies, someone then has to quote you. It will not be cheap. I'd guess €3-4k.

That's from:
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_insurance.html

Thanks so much for that! Ya I definitely didn’t help myself by getting the box fitted - Ryanair version of insurance!!

Will look into that, thank you!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Thanks so much for that! Ya I definitely didn’t help myself by getting the box fitted - Ryanair version of insurance!!

Will look into that, thank you!

You clearly demonstrated that you are a high risk customer, exactly what no insurance wants to take on if they can avoid it. And the candidates that nominate themselves are the first to go, it's a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

Jim2007 wrote: »
    You clearly demonstrated that you are a high risk customer, exactly what no insurance wants to take on if they can avoid it. And the candidates that nominate themselves are the first to go, it's a no brainer.

Yes I'm clearly aware of that - I'm looking for solutions not reasons why my policy was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Delta_Raven1

As Insurance is a legal requirement you cannot be denied it.

You need to get 3 quotes or refusals in writing from different insurers and then the first insurance company you went to is required to give you a quote.

It very may well be astronomical but a quote non the less!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Can they cancel your insurance for speeding?

Edit: This is on their site.

https://www.123.ie/young-drivers-car-insurance/faq
    We encourage you to stay within the speed limit to help keep you and other road-users safe. We'll contact you if we detect unacceptable speeding. Repeated or severe speeding events may result in your policy being cancelled.

Sounds like you'd be warned first, or you were doing a lot more than 5/10km over the speed limit.

Advertisement