Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonos wifi speakers (IKEA Symfonisk range)

Options
  • 05-08-2019 2:22pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was in store today and saw a new display with the range, couldn't actually find any to purchase but they are online...

Anyone have them and can review?

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/cat/wi-fi-speakers-46194/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

To buy them, you need to go to one of the info points near the end and have them write up the invoice. Then you pay as normal at the tills and collect in the customer service/returns area - same for some really bulky items and kitchen components.

I picked up two bookshelf speakers at the weekend to replace two Play 1s. The sound isn't as good as the Play 1, in my opinion. Less oomph. But still very decent - especially at the price. Setup was a doddle. Surprised the speaker still has an RJ45 connector as well - thought they might cut it out to cut costs.

The speaker lamps sounded very impressive. Not sure about that knob on the side.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The speakers may be good, but the add is horrendous :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Just ordered one of the bookshelf speakers to see how it is, primarily so see how it integrates into Loxone. Reviews look decent so should be good for a bedroom etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

THE ALM wrote:
    Just ordered one of the bookshelf speakers to see how it is, primarily so see how it integrates into Loxone. Reviews look decent so should be good for a bedroom etc.

Can you update on the sound?

Stoner wrote: »
    Can you update on the sound?

Will do, expecting it on Monday so will update when received.

• Advertisement

Well speaker received a setup, very simple process through the Sonos app, my first Sonos product (I fear I may have fallen down another rabbit hole).

Will have to say I'm impressed (have just ordered another). Just at work with it at the minute so will see when I get home how it sounds in a home environment but so far so good.

Nice finish and good bit of weight to it.

Have a dedicated sound system for party time so comparing this to the Google Home and this wins hands down

Clear crisp sound, wouldn't mind being able to knock the treble down a touch but that could be a personal thing and could do with a bit more bass. Surprisingly loud when full volume with little distortion, I doubt I'll ever need to have it full blast especially if using this in a kitchen or bedroom.

Easy setup of Spotify, Tunein and Google Play Music.

Looking forward to receiving the other to see how it performs as a stereo pair and being able to control via Loxone will be another bonus.

Thumbs up from me :DIMG_20190812_094049.jpg

IMG_20190812_094103.jpg

IMG_20190812_093937.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

Is it possible to wire sound to them or is it Wi-Fi only?

paulbok wrote: »
    Is it possible to wire sound to them or is it Wi-Fi only?

WiFi or can be hard wired with network cable

Set up in the kitchen for now, taking over from the Google Home, definite upgrade on sound.

Currently running over wifi but will wire direct to network as I am currently installing a cabinet, patch panel and switch into the attic at present.

Controllable with the Harmony Ultimate. This took several attempts to find, couldn't add with the windows client or trying to add with a wifi scan with the android app. Left it for several hours and then tried again through the app this time adding as an entertainment device instead of the blind wifi scan.

Also controllable through Loxone, so can set up any switch etc. to control it. Will have a play around with that and set up various automations/scenes.

A question for any Sonos users here. I tried adding this to Google Assistant but get message saying not available here yet. I have it set up with location as Ireland and wondering will changing region to US get around this? (the Ikea/Sonos speaker that is, already have google assistant set as US)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Yup still not available in Google home in Ireland yet... The UK have it as well as the US.
    Eagerly awaiting this myself - no idea on trying the change of country. Try it and let us know

• Advertisement

Can confirm that changing the region for the speaker to US allows control through Google Assistant.

Need to log in to your account on sonos.com and edit your profile to change country, no option in app to change it.

Edit: UK could be another one if wanting to keep in the same time zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Thinking of picking up a bookshelf speaker for the bedroom. Have full sonos system in living room. What is the verdict so far, yah or nay

Thinking of picking up a bookshelf speaker for the bedroom. Have full sonos system in living room. What is the verdict so far, yah or nay

Don't have any other Sonos to compare it with but impressed with it for the cost for sure. Most reviews are positive especially for the price.

Got one to see how it performed and was impressed enough to order a second. Have one in the main bedroom and the second set up in the kitchen, if I need anything more heavy duty the main hifi will come on. Was playing music through the google homes but these have now taken over that duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I just bought the lamp and it’s set up in the lounge. I had intended it for the bedroom, but it is far better thanI expected. It can cope comfortably with a 12 x 14 room, at moderate volume. I’m going to get a second one for the lounge, for stereo, and one for the bedroom.

If I can find a retailer in Dublin/Cork with a sound room I’d love to listen to the full system, including sub. I’m very happy with my Bose Accoustimas System in the sitting room, but the rear sleeker placement is poor due to wiring constraints and I like the idea of controlling everything from an iPad/Voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

IKEA ENEBY SPEAKERS

Has anyone here tried buying a pair of Eneby speakers from Ikea @ €80 each and hardwiring them via their 3.5mm input from a tablet/phone ???

One would receive left channel only from the 3.5mm output of tablet/phone
    The other would receive right channel only from same output

Hence, STEREO

A bit of cutting and re-connecting of headphone type cable would be required

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

IKEA ENEBY SPEAKERS

Has anyone here tried buying a pair of Eneby speakers from Ikea @ €80 each and hardwiring them via their 3.5mm input from either a tablet/phone ???

One would receive left channel only from the 3.5mm output of tablet/phone
    The other would receive right channel only from same output

Hence, STEREO

A bit of cutting and re-connecting of headphone type cable would be required

Wouldn't the Symfonisk do that in a more straight forward manner?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Wouldn't the Symfonisk do that in a more straight forward manner?

Definitely !
    Only €38 in the difference

I'm using my phone as a 4G wifi hotspot, no fixed line broadband - so might not get full use of the Symfonisk ?

My idea seems to have a disadvantage though, as I believe the Eneby units have a default volume on power-up so volume control would need to be via phone/tablet, otherwise I'd need to adjust both speakers every time.

Definitely !
    Only €38 in the difference

I'm using my phone as a 4G wifi hotspot, no fixed line broadband - so might not get full use of the Symfonisk ?

My idea seems to have a disadvantage though, as I believe the Eneby units have a default volume on power-up so volume control would need to be via phone/tablet, otherwise I'd need to adjust both speakers every time.

There's better solutions. For example Urban Ears can be paired in stereo sets...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    There's better solutions. For example Urban Ears can be paired in stereo sets...

Many thanks, I'll check them out : )

• Advertisement

Many thanks, I'll check them out : )

That should read 'ultimate ears'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Daughter gave me one for Christmas and i put in in the bedroom where I previously had a Sonos One. Quite impressed with it for the money - less than half the cost of a Sonos One and pretty similar sound wise. Size wise it has the same footprint as the One but more than twice the height.

When I get a chance I’ll put a Sonos One on the other side of the bed and play music through both to compare sound.

Advertisement