Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a job in Ireland from abroad

Options
  • 05-08-2019 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I’m seriously considering moving back to Ireland. I have been abroad for about 2 years and have a good job here but my marriage broke down a few months ago I found myself in a foreign country with no family or friends, I’m not happy here anymore.

I guess my question is how you go about finding a job in Ireland from abroad? I have applied for a few jobs and they always say to let them know as soon as I’m in Ireland to continue the process, I’m not sure if it is an issue for them that I’m not in Ireland at the moment. I don’t want to move back without a job because the rent situation in Dublin is just getting worse every day and I don’t want to rely on friends either.

Is there any advise you guys can give me?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Sorry to hear that.

Hard to be too prescriptive on this as you do not go into specifics, so generic advice below.

You say you are only "considering" moving back - that's open ended and not definitive. In the absence of a timeframe, it's hard for me to know how determined you are to do so. Is it definite and, if so, by when? When the right job comes up or within x months?

It's always easier to get a job when your based in that country, be it for interview availability or otherwise. When a recruiter considers candidates, you'd have an added disadvantage of being based abroad. I am not sure what your precise situation is but, at the very least, that would entail selling/giving notice on property, finding a place in Eire, moving items back etc. There are a few unknowns there which may raise eyebrows with a recruiter/client. However, you may work in a sector that is happy to conduct interviews over the phone - hard to know.

I don't know where you're based, but it might be an idea to visit some recruiters next time your back. Alternatively, have you worked in the sector you're looking at in Ireland? Do you have contacts in that sector? If so, I'd always start there..Does the company your with have a presence in Ireland? etc.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 max307

Thanks for your quick reply @rgmmg!

I’m ready to move back as soon as I have a job offer in hand. My last job in Ireland was at a good level so I would like to go back to a job at that same level even though I know the salary could be less.

I’m currently in the USA and work in the IT sector.

Fortunately I don’t own a house or have any strong ties here so in terms of moving back is just packing some suitcases and that’s it. I did try my previous employer in Dublin since I left in good terms but I feel like because I’m abroad they see the relocation as an added expense in the recruitment process even though I’m willing to pay for everything out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I think you need to move back and then apply for a job. As you're in IT, you won't be unemployed for long.

Btw it might be worth trying to make a new bunch of friends to see if you can solve your problem. Moving back home is a big move!

Try Meetup.com and just go to random meetups near you.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I am thinking of moving back to Ireland (from UK) myself with 2 kids and a wife so you’re in a good position to be in imo.. with no ties (unlike me) and in IT (like me :)).

Would you be open to contract roles? Could look for those initially as the screening would be lighter and then get something longer term while in contract and back in Ireland?

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I think you need to move back and then apply for a job. As you're in IT, you won't be unemployed for long.

Btw it might be worth trying to make a new bunch of friends to see if you can solve your problem. Moving back home is a big move!

Try Meetup.com and just go to random meetups near you.

Good luck.

Thank you @OMM 0000!

Yeah I know it's a big move but I would like to give it a shot. I did try some meetups and also enrolled in a local sports league.

• Advertisement

rgmmg wrote: »
    I am thinking of moving back to Ireland (from UK) myself with 2 kids and a wife so you’re in a good position to be in imo.. with no ties (unlike me) and in IT (like me :)).

Would you be open to contract roles? Could look for those initially as the screening would be lighter and then get something longer term while in contract and back in Ireland?

Oh yes I can see that! :)

I would be open to contract roles. I applied to a few companies and I'm waiting to hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It is possible to get a job from abroad - I've done it successfully.

I did a load of interviews via Skype, but the one job that I took is the one job that I really wanted and that I flew back for (despite what I would describe as not my greatest interview due to jetlag).

I used my Irish address, but put a tagline "currently based in country X, but looking to return to Ireland permanently" into any CV I sent, or application I made.

The only thing is, if you are in a good job, with good prospects, in the long term, would it be worth staying for a year or two more? I appreciate what you are saying about friends/ties, but think of the bigger picture. It was easy for me*, I had over 25 years experience, but if you are short on experience, weigh up the pros and cons of getting a year or two more.

*as in, the decision to move back to Ireland

Mr.S wrote: »
    Worth putting down an Irish address on the application forms to get around automatic selection. Can you use a parents or friends address? You can also get an Irish address at any post-office for free (and it's not labeled as a post-office)

Keep your personal address off your CV, and stress on both the CV and cover letter you have an Irish passport. They will know you are US based because of your experience, but the above should get you past the first gate.

The stumbling block is likely when the want to interview and see you are based in the US - are you open to travelling back to Ireland last minute (high cost) on your own pocket? If so, mention that. Hiring processes can take weeks with multiple rounds, which is tricky if based abroad and they don't facilitate Skype.

Approach a couple of in-house recruiters on Linkedin and start a conversation and see what happens, and try applying for jobs at the tech firms located here - they are well used to hiring from abroad.

Thanks for your response and tips @Mr.S!

I have my US address and US phone number in my CV so I will have to update that part.

In my experience the initial interview is usually over the phone and I guess that will make it easier for me to explain my current situation but for some reason I’m not even getting to that stage. I feel like the US address and US phone number is not helping me pass the initial screening.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    The only thing is, if you are in a good job, with good prospects, in the long term, would it be worth staying for a year or two more? I appreciate what you are saying about friends/ties, but think of the bigger picture. It was easy for me*, I had over 25 years experience, but if you are short on experience, weigh up the pros and cons of getting a year or two more.
    *as in, the decision to move back to Ireland

Thanks for your response and tips @Tom Dunne!

I’m thinking about that also, another year or two of professional experience in the US won’t do any harm. I will keep trying and if nothing comes up in Ireland then will have to stay longer and see what happens.

Advertisement