Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kate Holmquist -RIP

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

mariaalice wrote: »
    Is it unusual for someone in their sixties to kill themselves? it alway seems a younger person issue but maybe not?

Not in the slightest. Of the last three suicides I personally know of one was mid 40s, another in his 50s and a 70+.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sunshinew

Actually I read somewhere that between late 40s-60 are a highest risk category for suicide in women. They mentioned it could be linked to menopausal depression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

El_Bee wrote: »
    too many people enjoy a good dogpile nowadays, that even an innocuous question is enough to set them off

There’s actually nothing innocuous about the edgelord “who” in a thread about someone who has clearly killed herself.

In fact there’s never a reason for the “who”. If you don’t know who is referenced stay out of the thread.

(Half the tine it’s someone pretty famous and the “who” poster wants to indicate he’s above all that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

sunshinew wrote: »
    Actually I read somewhere that between late 40s-60 are a highest risk category for suicide in women. They mentioned it could be linked to menopausal depression.

Men are also at risk in middle age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Desperately sad. Only recently i picked up a book i had sitting on my shelf for several years, a memoir by Ferdia Mac Anna, who people might remember as the lead in a good fun band called Rocky De Valera and the Gravediggers. Quite enjoyed the book and the memorable passages of how he'd struggled through a couple of near fatal brain hemorrhages and only began to dawn on me someway through the book that his supportive partner, referred to only as Kate, was indeed the Kate Holmquist who i remembered from her articles in the Irish Times. Just makes me doubly sad to hear this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

Portsalon wrote:
    Katherine (never before today known publicly as "Kate") Holmquist was an Irish Times columnist until mid-2015, that's 4 years ago. From memory, the majority of her articles related to sex, sexuality, emotion and miscellaneous touchie-feelie stuff which, frankly, wouldn't have been of great interest to me, although I was aware of her byline as I bought/read the IT regularly. I find it wholly acceptable that many Boardsies wouldn't ever have heard of her, either because they're young, because they didn't notice her name above the handful of articles that they may have read, or simply because they and their circle didn't read the IT, which let's remember, has had a circulation of well below 100,000 over the past number of years. (i.e. less than 2% of the population).

She was known to all and sundry as Kate, including in her many Irish Times bylines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Ciaranis wrote: »
    She was known to all and sundry as Kate, including in her many Irish Times bylines.

I stand corrected. A quick search of my Irish Times account reveals that her byline was Kathryn Holmquist, not "Katherine" as I wrote earlier.

I could attach countless links to prove it, but you're probably not worth the effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Poor woman. Words like personal tragedy to describe a person's death don't sound too good irregardless of what type of person you are. I don't know much about this lady because I don't read her articles. I hope her family finds peace after her body was found only recently as this is awful news. R.I.P.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This is an RIP thread. The poor woman's death has only just been announced. Her family and friends will be going through a grieving process. Some may come across this thread. Please think before posting. There will be a time when consideration of her work, legacy etc may be discussed without risking unnecessary distress to others. That time is not now

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

Portsalon wrote:
    I stand corrected. A quick search of my Irish Times account reveals that her byline was Kathryn Holmquist, not "Katherine" as I wrote earlier.

Portsalon wrote:

Portsalon wrote:
    I could attach countless links to prove it, but you're probably not worth the effort.

I knew her, and you're being deeply and unnecessarily unpleasant, as are several other people on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,862 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

dudara wrote: »
    Katie Holmquist was a former Irish Times journalist who was reported missing after last being seen on Saturday evening. The search has been stood down following the finding of a body.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/garda-appeal-for-kate-holmquist-stood-down-after-body-found-1.3977204

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Desperately sad. Only recently i picked up a book i had sitting on my shelf for several years, a memoir by Ferdia Mac Anna, who people might remember as the lead in a good fun band called Rocky De Valera and the Gravediggers. Quite enjoyed the book and the memorable passages of how he'd struggled through a couple of near fatal brain hemorrhages and only began to dawn on me someway through the book that his supportive partner, referred to only as Kate, was indeed the Kate Holmquist who i remembered from her articles in the Irish Times. Just makes me doubly sad to hear this news.

I read that book as well. He was through the mill between that and testicular cancer. He spoke very highly of her in the book.

RIP

Advertisement