Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time pumpkin grower

Options
  • 05-08-2019 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all, I was hoping for some info, I’ve been growing pumpkins from seeds this year and thought I had a healthy batch but now half the leaves are turning black and dying. I’m learning as I go and was hoping for some advice, I also have plenty of large orange flowers on them, hoping this is a good sign, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They can turn yellow due to aphids but I've never seen them turn black.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭StopWatch

dee111284 wrote: »
    Hi all, I was hoping for some info, I’ve been growing pumpkins from seeds this year and thought I had a healthy batch but now half the leaves are turning black and dying. I’m learning as I go and was hoping for some advice, I also have plenty of large orange flowers on them, hoping this is a good sign, thanks

Almost certainly a fungus of some sort. Grey mould or black rot maybe? Get rid of any affected leaves straight away, and hope it doesn't spread.
    It has been warm and humid, so that can lead to higher likelihood of mildews, moulds etc.
    Also, with pumpkins you should avoid watering the leaves and fruit, this will lead to higher chance of such diseases. try to water only a site of roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

my first time growing pumpkins as well. I have two " hundred weight" ( i think) plants growing.

One plant has a huge yellow fruit on it and a smaller yellow one beside it. I went away for a week and couldn't believe how much the one fruit had grown in week. there was a third fruit but it seems to have withered away.

The other plant has one largish fruit on it.

I really don't want to mess these up! I've put a bit of effort into starting them off and hardening off etc etc ...
    the plants are still spreading and flowering. Should I cut them back or just leave them at it? Any advice?

thanks

Frogeye

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I have mine in a raised bed so have only let them spread that far & cut back anything tipping over the edge.
    I'm only growing them for the kids for Halloween so I've only kept 4 of the healthiest fruits & cut off any others & flowers, the idea is all the of plants energy goes into just a few fruit rather than it trying to grow alot of lesser quality fruits.

Advertisement