Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant decide if I should continue with teaching or change career path

• 06-08-2019 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭

Im just looking for advice and thought this might be the right forum.
    Im a qualified further ed art teacher, I initially wanted to go into secondary teaching but couldnt afford the PME so a few years after I got my fine art degree I did the Hdip in FE instead. Since qualifying I got some subbing work in a mainstream school and as much as I loved teaching and the kids, I felt there was too much of a focus on discipline, I understand the need for rules, regulations and boundaries but just felt too much pressure from other staff members and was often told that im too soft on the kids. This put me off mainstream ed entirely and for the first time I really felt that FE was the environment that I would be most comfortable in.
    I got a bit of work experience teaching art in a center for adults with mental health issues and special needs, to say I loved it is an understatement, I really felt like it was a perfect fit me, the clients I worked with got on really well with me, they produced fantastic work, there were problems and issues like with any job but I found the classes an absolute joy to teach.
    Since then ive been trying to get into this line of work but getting nowhere, cant seem to get my foot in the door despite handing out cv's every few months.
    In one center where I worked the tutor I worked with had no qualifications at all, he did no work with the students, handed them some pens and paper and sat at his desk for every class. These students had so much wasted potential and I would have done anything to get stuck in with them as they genuinely enjoyed art.
    Im now thinking about pursuing a masters in art education, its not a PME but its a one year course that includes modules in adult ed, special needs, art therapy, contemporary and conceptual art. I will then have all the qualifications I need and more to work in this area but the problem is no where is willing to give me a shot.
    So im just wondering if anyone can help me make this decision, should I go ahead with the masters and risk unemployment or pursue a masters in something else that will get me employment but not in the area I want to work in, I was looking at springboard courses in Graphic design as an alternative as im beginning to give up on my dream of becoming an adult ed art teacher.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Maggie1231982

Make sure you are applying to all the panels advertised within the etbs..
    Apply to leisure panels, craft panels etc These panels cover a large amount of further ed and community ed centres.

Advertisement