Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth phone dialler to open gate

Options
  • 06-08-2019 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

To open the gate to the car park, I need to call a number on my phone.

This is a pain in the ass, as I need to take out my phone and take off my gloves to call the number.

Aside from mounting the phone on the handlebars (which I don't want to do), are there any bluetooth or similar options, my google searches are not finding anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

colm_c wrote: »
    To open the gate to the car park, I need to call a number on my phone.

This is a pain in the ass, as I need to take out my phone and take off my gloves to call the number.

Aside from mounting the phone on the handlebars (which I don't want to do), are there any bluetooth or similar options, my google searches are not finding anything.

Can you do it with a voice command on a hands free? ok Google call open gate? I've never used it but might be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Can you do it with a voice command on a hands free? ok Google call open gate? I've never used it but might be an option

Don't think my phone (in my pocket) while the engine is running would be able to hear me, but will try it as an option.

Although if I had a bluetooth mic, that might work...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Saves you taking off your gloves though.

Helmet bluetooth sets aren't cheap. Aldi used to do one which was ok, but that's a seasonal sale item.

Consider a waterproof magnetic tank bag with a phone holder. such as the oxford M2R They are handy anyway and I'm sure your phone would hear you on it. If not, you have easy access to your phone (and other bits) to quickly take it out, dial and get going.

Top tip: I have a phone stylus in my tank bag so i don't have to take of my gloves. Some bike gloves have touchscreen fingertips but a stylus is 2 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

My front gate works this way, I have a direct dial widget anchored to my Dock on bottom right.
    I also use IFTT, I use this with a widget to send gate a text to leave it open and separate one to close it. Also allows me to set up a schedule, which I can change from my phone.
    Perhaps you could use IFTT to call the gate based on your location?

Tank bag: no thanks, not a big fan at all, very practical yes, but I don't like them at all.

Carpark is too small for the location to be accurrate enough, I'd say I'd be opening it walking around the building!

One of these on a handlebar mount might be good:
    https://flic.io/

You can program it to do any action, including make a phone call (at least on Android).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

There's an app for Android called Tasker, it allows you to trigger actions based on a set of events. The simplest way I can think it to have it configured to call the number automatically when your location reaches the gate (or maybe once you reconnect to your home wifi network if the house is close to the gate). The app itself has a bit of a learning curve if you're not tech savvy, but there's plenty of tutorials online.

Another route would be a headphone jack shortcut button (if you have a headphone jack on your phone). Again you'd have a custom action set up to call the number when the button is clicked, that way you could probably squeeze the button through your pocket with your gloves on. This is the thing im talking about: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32967426540.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Don't think my phone (in my pocket) while the engine is running would be able to hear me, but will try it as an option.

Although if I had a bluetooth mic, that might work...

I bought this... comes with internal mic and internal speakers that you can fit inside your helmet. My friend recommended it to me, he uses google speak to open his gates using it

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32860165781.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.34d14c4deOZb3A

Ive only used it really for voice guided sat nav. Has an inbuilt FM radio which is quite good and obviously you can play podcasts \ music from your phone, but Above 70 kmh tho the wind noise makes it hard to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

This guy has a mod for something similar https://youtu.be/BKnUHAxgpXs?list=PLZgtJjUh23P0059CiMEVBW0_zaWc5-eTJ&t=268 no links so maybe shoot him an email?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I use NFC tags for something remotely similar. I have two small discrete nfc tags attached to either side of my helmet, so if I touch the phone to one, it executes a number of steps (disable wifi, enable bluetooth, run an app, adjust volume etc.). The other tag does the opposite and resets everything. So you could do something similar if your phone is in an accessible pocket. Find a way to attach an nfc tag to something (glove, keyfob, handlebar) that you can touch off the phone (hopefully while it's still in your pocket) to trigger your phone call/message (I use NFC tools, but tasker with NFC plugin will work also). My phone is a work phone though, so it has a security profile that means it needs to be unlocked to execute NFC tasks. If your phone isn't locked down like mine, you can use smart lock to unlock the phone and trigger the script. Most Android phones have NFC now, and writeable NFC tags are dirt cheap, so a cheap experiment that might solve your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Why not buy a cheap phone with buttons on it ? That way your gloves stay on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Wood

Thanks for the suggestions lads, some kind of button that attaches to the handlebars is the way to do I reckon, for ease of use and not attaching stuff to my helmet.

Ordered one, so will see when it arrives!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If you did have a Cardo headset, you could set the number of the gate as a one of the HotDial numbers.

Then, when you arrive at the gate (as I would use it), I just tap the button on the headset 3 times and hey presto.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't know how anyone drives without a Bluetooth headset

I spend my days ok googling.

Ok Google stream newstalk radio

Ok Google play music on Spotify.

Ok Google call the missus.

I don't have issues taking to it at legal speeds. Works perfectly.

listermint wrote: »
    I don't know how anyone drives without a Bluetooth headset

I spend my days ok googling.

Ok Google stream newstalk radio

Ok Google play music on Spotify.

Ok Google call the missus.

I don't have issues taking to it at legal speeds. Works perfectly.

What headset do you have?

I like the idea of a headset, but my commute is 30 mins in traffic, not sure it would be worth the hassle.

Got the button, works well, it's the size of three two euro coins stacked on top of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I like the idea of a headset, but my commute is 30 mins in traffic, not sure it would be worth the hassle.

Got the button, works well, it's the size of three two euro coins stacked on top of each other.

What specifically did you buy and how does it work?

What specifically did you buy and how does it work?

https://flic.io/

Connects to my phone via Bluetooth, there is an app on my phone which you then assign actions to the button.

Three action: click, double click and hold.

I've got click assigned to make a phone call to the gate, and double click to hang up.

Button comes with a belt clip and a reusable sticky pad. I attached it to the handlebars with the belt clip and cable tie.

Battery lasts for 18 months it says, and is user replaceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sena 20S.

My commute is 40 minutes in traffic. I can listen to audiobooks in that time and take or make calls.

Advertisement