Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I charging too little?

Options
  • 06-08-2019 8:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

I recently started working as a freelance content writer, and I’ve got two or three clients (need two or three more to start breaking even)

I’ve noticed that none of the clients I’ve got have quibbled with me on price and yesterday a potential new client said “your prices seem reasonable”.

Am I charging too little? Seems like I’d be getting some pushback if not?

Writers are very private about what they charge so it’s hard for me to get a feel for what’s normal in the industry.

I have 10 years experience in the corporate world and I’m working mainly with big companies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

kikilarue2 wrote: »
    I recently started working as a freelance content writer, and I’ve got two or three clients (need two or three more to start breaking even)

I’ve noticed that none of the clients I’ve got have quibbled with me on price and yesterday a potential new client said “your prices seem reasonable”.

Writers are very private about what they charge so it’s hard for me to get a feel for what’s normal in the industry.

I have 10 years experience in the corporate world and I’m working mainly with big companies.

I feel like you missing the most important part for anyone to make a judgement.
    How much do you charge?
    Easiest way to figure out is to call your competitors and ask them for a quote for something similar to what you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

seannash wrote: »

I feel like you missing the most important part for anyone to make a judgement.
    How much do you charge?
    Easiest way to figure out is to call your competitors and ask them for a quote for something similar to what you do.

At the moment I’m charging €110-150 per article, which is in or around 1000 words long.

This includes research, SEO optimization (so they can rank in Google searches) and one round of edits.

The research takes about an hour, the writing takes 2 or 3 and the edits ordinarily just take a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Seems reasonable but not too cheap.
    2 articles a day gives a healthy income, obviously it's a numbers game. Getting 2 articles a day is great, get 2 a week and you'll never make money.

How did you calculate what your rate should be or did you pull it out of thin air?

If you're happy with it perhaps stick with it while you establish yourself and build a customer base, when you know you have clients who like you and your work gradually increase your rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

KeithTS wrote: »
    Seems reasonable but not too cheap.
    2 articles a day gives a healthy income, obviously it's a numbers game. Getting 2 articles a day is great, get 2 a week and you'll never make money.

How did you calculate what your rate should be or did you pull it out of thin air?

If you're happy with it perhaps stick with it while you establish yourself and build a customer base, when you know you have clients who like you and your work gradually increase your rate.

If I got to two articles a day I’d be happy (although I also need time for finding new business, managing my website, finances etc)

I took a few things into account- what I need to make a living, what employers are paying in ads I see online.

I think you’re right - I’ll keep going as I am for now until I have five or six regular clients and then bump it up for new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

If I got to two articles a day I’d be happy (although I also need time for finding new business, managing my website, finances etc)

I took a few things into account- what I need to make a living, what employers are paying in ads I see online.

I think you’re right - I’ll keep going as I am for now until I have five or six regular clients and then bump it up for new ones.

Unfortunately I've found this the most difficult aspect of freelance/consultancy work. I got out of it as I found myself spending as much time looking for the next job as doing the actual work. If you can rely on a lot of repeat customers (I couldn't given the nature of my work) then hopefully this will be short lived and after 6 months that element will start to ease off a bit.

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

At the moment I’m charging €110-150 per article, which is in or around 1000 words long.

This includes research, SEO optimization (so they can rank in Google searches) and one round of edits.

The research takes about an hour, the writing takes 2 or 3 and the edits ordinarily just take a few minutes.

The price sounds good for the article and edits, but the SEO optimization should be extra.

How much time do you spend on SEO Optimization for a 1000 word article vs writing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

As a fellow writer...that seems quite normal.

Advertisement