Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident - response from RSA

Options
  • 06-08-2019 9:51am

Hello,

Just off the phone with RSA. This is not my insurer and are the insurer of the person at fault for an accident this morning.

The person said they'd approved repairers, but when I said I wanted to take my car to a main dealer (Joe Duffy) - It's a fairly new, high end car so any repairs I'd like to be able to say they were done at a main dealer - She said that I'd not be able to claim back the full Joe Duffy labour rates if I took my car to the main dealer.

Has anyone experience of this - of not getting full costs back if you're the one not at fault if your car is taken to a main dealer?

I've fully comp insurance and my ins. company said it's a clear cut case (from what I said) and that I should claim directly off RSA. They did say come back to them if I'd any trouble with RSA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

She said that I'd not be able to claim back the full Joe Duffy labour rates if I took my car to the main dealer.

It's your car and you were not at fault. Stand your ground and insist the car is repaired to the standard that you want.

markpb wrote: »
    It's your car and you were not at fault. Stand your ground and insist the car is repaired to the standard that you want.

Yeah, I'll still be taking it to the main dealers, but first time I've ever heard someone saying not all costs may be covered :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Main dealers?? For crash repair work?? That'd be the last place I'd go to

Main dealers?? For crash repair work?? That'd be the last place I'd go to

Not my fault though. Insurance should, I had hoped, pay for all of it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Same happened my wife. They refused to to let her go anywhere else. I researched the crash repair place, and it was actually highly recommended, so didnt both fighting them (as they were rated one of the best).

Before you go to a main dealer, check which repairer they are advising first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

But main dealers do not repair anything. They can replace things. For crash repair, they'll send it out to someone else. Did you talk to the main dealer that you want to send it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭ratracer

The reason they are sending you to one of their approved repairers is because that will be the exact same thing the main dealer does.
    Ring up your main dealer and ask them who does their bodywork for them, it may well be the same place anyway.
    I was in a similar situation to you in that I didn’t want to send it to the insurance approved repairer. I sent it to my own repairer, who still got paid the full amount. Remember, any repair costs will be agreed before any work is carried out anyway.

antodeco wrote: »
    Same happened my wife. They refused to to let her go anywhere else. I researched the crash repair place, and it was actually highly recommended, so didnt both fighting them (as they were rated one of the best).

Before you go to a main dealer, check which repairer they are advising first.

Good advice re seeing who'd they'd recommend.

The logic I had was if I was ever selling it I could say, 'But it was repaired at a main dealer.'

What will be required is a new bumper and respray.

IF I did take it to their repairer I'm concerned they'll try to fix it rather than replace.

The last time I took a car to an insurance company repairer they made a complete bags of the paint job, paint peeled off!

OSI wrote: »
    Just note that if you have finance on the car through the dealer it's common for them to have a clause in the agreement that states that all body repair work must be done through an authorised dealer of the manufacturer.

Interesting, there's 12 months finance still up on the agreement. Finance was got through the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

You have the right to choose where your car is repaired, if you're happy with a main dealer doing it send the car there.
    The insurance company you are claiming off have to pay for it, if they give anymore guff contact the insurance ombudsman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't see the issue with going to the main dealer to have them give it to their repair guys. If it's on finance they even tell you repairs have to go through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You go to a garage of your choosing providing the estimate is reasonable. Don’t dismiss the idea of using their approved repairer though, it may be quicker and they can provide you directly with a courtesy vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Neilw wrote: »
    You have the right to choose where your car is repaired, if you're happy with a main dealer doing it send the car there.
    The insurance company you are claiming off have to pay for it, if they give anymore guff contact the insurance ombudsman.

The insurance company are just cutting out a layer. Main dealers don't repair crashed vehicles they send them to their repair places which are usually the same places the insurance companies use, as they use OEM parts for insurance repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

I think that RSA have misdirected themselves.

As the insurer of the other party RSA have no legal right to decide where the car is to be repaired.

Their proposition that you will not be able to recover the full repair costs if you do not go to garage X is preposterous.

The choice of repairer is yours.
    RSA are free to instruct their assessor to negotiate and agree the costs with repairer.
    That does not mean that you are to be out of pocket if they disagree.

If you decided to issue proceedings for the repair costs at the main dealer and your assessor gave evidence that the estimate was fair and reasonable that is what a judge would probably award you.

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    I think that RSA have misdirected themselves.

As the insurer of the other party RSA have no legal right to decide where the car is to be repaired.

Their proposition that you will not be able to recover the full repair costs if you do not go to garage X is preposterous.

The choice of repairer is yours.
    RSA are free to instruct their assessor to negotiate and agree the costs with repairer.
    That does not mean that you are to be out of pocket if they disagree.

If you decided to issue proceedings for the repair costs at the main dealer and your assessor gave evidence that the estimate was fair and reasonable that is what a judge would probably award you.

Thanks for the advice.

The assessor is coming out after lunch. I've spotted more than just the bumper, but nothing major.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Tow

RSA are only interested in their own repairers. I cannot help thinking of the Garda and their fleet maintenance 'issues'....

In much same situation, I got a quote to repair damage caused by a 3rd party. RSA claimed my local garage quote was much too expensive. Had to go to their approved garage. Needless to say their approved garage was more expensive, but hay they were happy to pay it! I even rang then up about it! Their garage FUBARED ordering parts, so repair took several days longer than expected. All in all it cost them an extra couple of K.

They then tried sticking the extra days cost of a replacement car on me! Not my issue, their approved garage etc. So I complained and they dropped it. Next renewal the extra replacement car cost featured as a claim, complained about that and they removed it. Next renewal the extra replacement car cost again featured as a claim. I complained again to them and the Data Protection Commissioner and they removed it.

It was a 3 year never ending saga!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Can you clarify your situation? You say the accident was caused by a 3rd party yet the costs were appearing on your renewal papers. Were you a RSA customer claiming under your own policy or against a 3rd party insured with RSA?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Tow

Can you clarify your situation? You say the accident was caused by a 3rd party yet the costs were appearing on your renewal papers. Were you a RSA customer claiming under your own policy or against a 3rd party insured with RSA?

Fully comp with full 'protection'. Open and shut case. Other party reversed out of their drive, across busy main road and into the side of my car, which was parked on the opposite side of the road. Multiple witnesses. I claimed on my policy as needed the repair done swiftly. I think RSA screwed up the claim against the other party, and forgot to add in the extra car hire (supplied by them) costs. This was around when RSA's management were caught cooking their books, so I assume lots of suspect practices were going on to reduce loses.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/rsa-ireland-bailout-rory-oconnor-2-3253021-Feb2017/

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Cheers, that clarifies it. Yeah, they messed up the recovery by the look of it.

Generally speaking, using an approved repairer works out cheaper for an insurer. Not because the work is in any way inferior, it reduces the prospect of padding that many garages put in for insurance estimates. No bodyshop will easily risk losing the contract to be an approved repairer. Audits are frequently carried out to make sure things are kosher.

Advertisement