Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bjork to play three arena November 28.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Is everyone who likes popular music to be derided, or just those ones that you dont personally like?

I like Bjork. Saw her on the Volta tour and she was fantastic. Just pointing out that for that price, if you saw the recent setlists, its a lot of new stuff which may turn people off.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The Nal wrote: »
    I like Bjork. Saw her on the Volta tour and she was fantastic. Just pointing out that for that price, if you saw the recent setlists, its a lot of new stuff which may turn people off.

And your rather unkind comments about people who go to see Fleetwood Mac live?

And your rather unkind comments about people who go to see Fleetwood Mac live?

They were just unkind comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The Nal wrote: »
    They were just unkind comments.

But accurate nonetheless. And I’d like a bit of Fleetwood Mac. They’re undoubtedly higher in the social media check-in crowd’s hit list.

alastair wrote: »
    But accurate nonetheless. And I’d like a bit of Fleetwood Mac. They’re undoubtedly higher in the social media check-in crowd’s hit list.

Like a bit of Fleetwood Mac myself. Just pointing out Bjork isn't in the FM, AC/DC, GnR, Bruce, Garth, Stones realm when it comes to shifting punchy tickets.

Show looks great though. Huge production, great visuals and the sound is off the chart apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Björk has announced a new box set of ‘Utopia’, which will come with a set of 14 handmade birdcall flutes

“...utopia is so much about birdsong and sonically the mutation between synth/bird, bird/flute, flute/synth…….” she wrote. “air like that was a theme through all of the album. so i got very excited when i found these handmade wooden flutes imitating precisely particular birds. and i guess wanted you guys to have an opportunity to share that with me.”

The deluxe reissue and birdcall flutes handpicked by the musician will be housed in a bespoke perspex case featuring a design by M/M (Paris). It will be released via One Little Indian on November 1 and will cost £500.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/bjork-announces-new-utopia-box-set-complete-14-handmade-birdcall-flutes-2539152/amp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

That was quite something, speculator and mesmerizing and the sound would blow you away at times like with the two big boom box like cannons lowered to the right mid way through. I could have listened to her speak and introduce her choir and flute ensemble all night.
    Looked sold out and audience generally well behaved with a noticeable and refreshing lack of phone use
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/bj%C3%B6rk-swallows-dublin-whole-in-a-stunning-3arena-show-1.4098623

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

That was quite something, speculator and mesmerizing and the sound would blow you away at times like with the two big boom box like cannons lowered to the right mid way through. I could have listened to her speak and introduce her choir and flute ensemble all night.
    Looked sold out and audience generally well behaved with a noticeable and refreshing lack of phone use
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/bj%C3%B6rk-swallows-dublin-whole-in-a-stunning-3arena-show-1.4098623

It was quite excellent with an odd lull I found. The choir were phenomenal and I thought Bjork's vocals were the best I've ever heard live, and I've been to 100s of gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

I'm still trying to digest it - being attacked by a sub-bass, flutes, folk choir and sea urchins simultaneously. It was spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Birneybau wrote: »
    It was quite excellent with an odd lull...

I'd put that down to the setlist programming and it maybe not translating that well in such a large venue - the pre-Greta-interlude song 'Tabula Rasa' was an ambient wind-down so when it ended people were like "Ah yeah, that was nice, play the next one. Wait. Oh - they're gone. Better start the "Get back on stage please" whoops and hollers."

I want that sub-bass organ pipe installed in my house. Amazing to feel a venue that size being rattled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I was in the ninth row. That sub-bass was full on, so much so that a handful of people near me were looking around with expressions of concern and putting their hands over their ears.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Technically I thought it was one of the most magnificent gigs I've ever been too.
    The sound felt like it was coming from everywhere, it was unreal. I would never thought that 3Arena could have that kind of sound (though I generally find it very good, only very few cases that sound wasn't good in that venue), but it was unreal.
    Lights and visuals as well, amazing!!
    Her voice still very strong. There was a reverb chamber in the corner of the stage and she (and some of the flutists) would enter and create very interesting soundscapes!! And the fact that the choir was singing without mics, created great harmonies.

The only thing that was missing for me was the emotional connection to the music. This was a show that I really liked, admired and felt in awe, but can't really fall in love with it!! Worth every single of the 100 Euros I paid and I would buy the dvd/blu ray though if they release one!

I will also comment on the fans. The arena was close to sold-out (with the ground floor sitting, so the lower capacity of around 10000??). There were announcements not to use phones for photos/videos and almost everyone adhere to that. I agree that many people were probably caught at the lack of "hits" (even the ones she played, like Venus As A Boy or the a-cappella version of Hidden Place-one of the highlights for me) were almost unrecognisable!!

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I agree that many people were probably caught at the lack of "hits" (even the ones she played, like Venus As A Boy or the a-cappella version of Hidden Place-one of the highlights for me) were almost unrecognisable!!

Testament to that was the fact that people started cheering and applauding when she sang the words, "Venus as a boy". It was like, oh... we know this one! Hooray!

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

You were at this one for the spectacle, and boy was it spectacular.

The only other concert thats come close for me is Kate Bushs shows in London in 2014 . I think Bjork attended those so she may have some away with some ideas for this in terms of ambition and possibilities.

bullpost wrote: »
    You were at this one for the spectacle, and boy was it spectacular. The only other concert that's come close for me is Kate Bush's shows in London in 2014. I think Bjork attended those so she may have some away with some ideas for this in terms of ambition and possibilities.

Nothing will top Before the Dawn for me.
    The greatest thing I've ever seen on a stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Yeah me too. This was good but Kates show was out of this world

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Technically I thought it was one of the most magnificent gigs I've ever been too.
    The sound felt like it was coming from everywhere, it was unreal. I would never thought that 3Arena could have that kind of sound (though I generally find it very good, only very few cases that sound wasn't good in that venue), but it was unreal.
    Lights and visuals as well, amazing!!
    Her voice still very strong. There was a reverb chamber in the corner of the stage and she (and some of the flutists) would enter and create very interesting soundscapes!! And the fact that the choir was singing without mics, created great harmonies.

The choir were wearing radio/wireless mics.

Agreed - the 360 sound, when it kicked in, was really impressive - particularly in a venue not particularly known for guaranteed sound quality.

Thought the visuals, set, and choreography were fab. The only flat note was that rather pointless chrome shower curtain loop that descended from the ceiling for very little benefit. I waited for Tesla coil antics and got nothing! 😂

• Subscribers Posts: 41,616 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ive only ever once experienced a better immersive sound than last night, and that was inside a geodesic dome surrouded in all planes by speakers, listening to 'dark side of the moon'...

i loved the 3d layer aural effects throughout the gig
    i liked the net projected video clips.. though ive seen smaller versions before (stephen wilson)

i would have liked more immersive moving 3d visuals where the viewer is brought on a 'fly through'...

visually and audibly it was amazing.. truly amazing....

however like a previous poster it was difficult to get emotionally invested in it, but i would take a big part of the responsibility in that im nothing more than an extremely casual bjork fan.

for hardcore fans it must have been extremely special

i just wished id had a bag of mushrooms in me :D

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i would have liked more immersive moving 3d visuals where the viewer is brought on a 'fly through'...

Yessssss, that multi-screen bramble fly-through was great! They could have layered that same effect in for her tendril heads during Tabula Rasa very easily and it would have looked awesome. Ah well.

The only flat note was that rather pointless chrome shower curtain loop that descended from the ceiling for very little benefit. I waited for Tesla coil antics and got nothing! 😂

Pointless only if you're disregarding the fact that the "chrome shower curtain loop" had the flutes built into it.

• Advertisement

Pointless only if you're disregarding the fact that the "chrome shower curtain loop" had the flutes built into it.

Not exactly jawdropping when you consider the scale of everything else. It was more a cute DIY indie intrument you might like to make at home yourself with some bent shower rods and sticky-backed plastic.
    The sub-bass pipe coming down at the same time made me think Tesla-coil was on the way too. I kept looking back and forth thinking she was going to execute a flautist or audience member, and had the gall to ask us not to record it live.

And one of the water bath mics seemed to be on the fritz. Only the right hand pouring seemed to produce sound. Who do I speak to regarding compensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Agreed - the 360 sound, when it kicked in, was really impressive - particularly in a venue not particularly known for guaranteed sound quality.

Thought the visuals, set, and choreography were fab. The only flat note was that rather pointless chrome shower curtain loop that descended from the ceiling for very little benefit. I waited for Tesla coil antics and got nothing! ��

Cool, I didn't realise that, thanks for letting me know.
    They sounded so natural, I would have totally believed that there were no mics involved!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,616 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

And one of the water bath mics seemed to be on the fritz. Only the right hand pouring seemed to produce sound. Who do I speak to regarding compensation?

Yeah I noticed that too...

Some soundboard guy gonna get his ass kicked

I've been spoiled. Was at Before The Dawn, David Byrne's American Utopia and Bjork on Thursday. Magnificent spectacles all.

Thought the visuals, set, and choreography were fab. The only flat note was that rather pointless chrome shower curtain loop that descended from the ceiling for very little benefit. I waited for Tesla coil antics and got nothing! 😂

It was a 4 person flute!

It was a 4 person flute!

Here's a pic

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭fillup

Here's a pic

I hope u didnt take that pic during the show

Tut
    Tut

fillup wrote: »
    I hope u didnt take that pic during the show

Tut
    Tut

I did slap myself on the wrist afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Absolutely incredible show. I'm nearly 50 years going to gigs :eek: and this was right up there, unforgettable.

Advertisement