Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a wireless charging alarm clock with usb charging

• 06-08-2019 12:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

My wife has a Sony alarm dock with a lightning connector that’s giving up the ghost. She currently has an iPhone 7 ie no wireless charging, but will get an upgrade when she goes back to work after maternity leave, so the usb charging will only be for a few months.

Any suggestions? I’ve checked out all the ones on amazon but it’s tough to know which ones are genuinely good quality.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Does it have to include an alarm clock? seems to be a bit of a stretch to get exactly what you want.

I have a 3 in 1 charger from Beestand, it's pretty good for what i want, charges my watch, airpods and phone. the only one that charges wirelessly is the phone tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

eeloe wrote: »
    Does it have to include an alarm clock? seems to be a bit of a stretch to get exactly what you want.

I have a 3 in 1 charger from Beestand, it's pretty good for what i want, charges my watch, airpods and phone. the only one that charges wirelessly is the phone tho.
    I think she’d like an (alarm) clock, albeit I appreciate the pointlessness of when her phone already does that.

A couple of the more suitable ones I’ve seen are:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NQBKFMM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DLbtDb5WJWTJ1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C5X5FLW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4KbtDb9ZJNMWM

But it can be tricky to get a sense of build quality/sound from Amazon reviews, which is why I was hoping that someone on here has experience of one they can recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Whilst I can’t comment on the other alarm or the anker one, every other product I’ve gotten from anker are great. I’ve a Bluetooth car kit, 22000mah battery and countless lightning cables by them. All are pretty sound.

Might actually buy that anker one for myself. I hate the fact my alarm is on my phone. I hate the noise it makes in the morning, the fact I have to charge it bedside and the fact the alarm clock icon is constantly in my status bar on the iPhone 7 Plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

second above...Anker make damn good stuff.
    I've 3 wireless chargers , usb-c cables, car fast charger adapter 40 bloody watt :) lol and all are excellent quality.

Cheers. Yeah, we have a good bit of Anker stuff ourselves and find it excellent so that’s like my first choice but as it’s newly released and a bit pricier than a lot of Anker gear I didn’t jump straight in.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Lidl are actually doing a Qi charging bluetooth clock radio at the moment which also supports usb charging.

Its gone of their page but I've still see it in my local lidl store.
    If I didn't the dock already i'd go for it.

brophs wrote: »

Just a word of warning for anyone interested in this:

I've got loads of Anker stuff and I'm usually delighted with it, but I think this'll be going back. It has a couple of pretty major flaws for an alarm clock, in that even on the lowest brightness setting, the clock display is much, much too bright. To the point where it illuminates half the room. You can turn off the display and have it come on when you press a button on the dock. But that basically defeats the purpose of having an alarm clock at all, as you might as well pick up your phone in the middle of the night. There's a blue light when the phone is charging wirelessly which is also quite noticeable in a dark room when the display is turned off.

The colon between the hour and minute numbers on the display also blinks/flashes constantly which is really noticeable when the room is dark.

Finally, when you save FM radio stations, you can only save by frequency and not by name, as far as I can tell.

When I downloaded the Anker Soundcore app I was asked to fill out a survey about the dock. At the end it allows you to see the votes by other people. By a large majority, people say that it's too bright, so this is clearly something Anker are aware of, albeit I wonder is there a base level beyond which the LEDs can't be dimmed.

Otherwise, the dock is well made, looks nice and has a decent sound both for the size and price. But, personally, I'd avoid it for now unless you like sleeping with a nightlight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

There ya go.!!

Actually, I returned the Anker Dock last week to Amazon for a full refund and wrote a review just explaining the good and bad as I saw it. Anker replied a couple of days later saying that they’re sending me an “improved” replacement free of charge, so I’ll see what the story with that is, albeit I suspect they actually haven’t changed/improved the dock at all but are doing their usual excellent customer service thing by replacing it. Which there was absolutely no need for them to do, tbf.

I’m still pretty amazed the Anker Dock made it to market as it was but you really can’t fault their after-sales customer service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement