Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vat or duty charges from the US?

Options
  • 06-08-2019 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi,

I thought that if an item was under $100 (US) including the shipping charges that its not subject to duty or vat?

I have an item with An Post that is being subjected to a charge of E25-00.

The item is about $75 inc. postage.

I was caught like this previously for about E15-00. (Inc the an post holding fee...)

I know that I’m gonna have to pay this to get the package - but is there a way of appealing this charge - I have an invoice to shops the actual cost.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

dc99 wrote: »
    Hi,

I thought that if an item was under $100 (US) including the shipping charges that its not subject to duty or vat?

I have an item with An Post that is being subjected to a charge of E25-00.

The item is about $75 inc. postage.

I was caught like this previously for about E15-00. (Inc the an post holding fee...)

I know that I’m gonna have to pay this to get the package - but is there a way of appealing this charge - I have an invoice to shops the actual cost.....

unfortunately you will have to pay the added VAT to receive your item i was caught a couple of months ago when i bought a upgraded trigger system for my rifle it was 150 dollars and i had to pay 30 euro duty tax. :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Hi,

Yes but my item is underneath $100 - inc shipping.

I thought that this was under the threshold.

I’m wondering if this gives me a case to appeal the charge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

Never heard anything about this 100 dollar threshold. I have being buying engineering tools and vintage motorcycle parts from abroad for years and avoid buying from America because the added vat was taking the good out of it. Get a bargain and then get bent over for vat. Canada is even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The $100 limit is to do with export on the US side, nothing to do with Vat etc here, the limit for vat here is about €22.

Dang....€22???

I thought it was $100 (inc shipping)....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Witcher wrote: »
    The $100 limit is to do with export on the US side, nothing to do with Vat etc here,......
    Exactly.

The $100 threshold is related to exporting. If the item is $100 or more then it's subject to export license form the states. Now some companies pay an annual charge to be able to export stuff, but some, like Boyds, don't hence the limit.

It should also be noted that this is separate to items that are regulated and regardless of price may or may not be shipped outside CONUS.

I ordered items last year that came to $98 (purely coincidental) and it arrived at my house with no bill for VAT/duty. I then ordered an item for $35 and with shipping i got a bill for about €11 iirc.

I was fully expecting a bill for the $98 order, but it never materialised. Could be an oversight but i knew it was subject to it none the less.

Just FYI i checked this out a couple of years back and depending on what the item is will determine the final cost. Some items like scopes, binoculars are classed as Glass and subject to 4.7% duty. Other items are higher, and some lower but a handy average is 4.7%. Add that to the VAT rate of 23% and make sure it is inclusive of the shipping (as shipping costs are subject to the charges too) and you end up with a fee of around 27.5% on top of the Dollar price. Convert to Euro and it's a rough guide, but close enough, to the actual price you'll pay.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Well that's funny - had a second package arrive (from US) - coincidentally - for about $60 - no charge at all - straight through....:-) :-)

might buy a lotto ticket with my new found luck....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Above 150€ duties apply as well as VAT, below that its just VAT and an administration charge.

Advertisement