Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guardian of the Déise project - yes or no?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The whole country will be jealous, an unemployment spot with a daft statue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

vriesmays wrote: »

Your a Hoot

An airport with no planes.

An airport with no planes.

Hoot hoot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭55Percent

Stick it up sure. Whats the worst that could happen? I think it looks great. Have been a fan since I saw it. Its something unique, much better than a certain local councillors Idea of a mount rushmore style bust of Michael Collins on mount misery.

Thats like saying we will replace one idiotic idea with another idiotic idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

If money was no object, i think what would be a better idea would be two of these statues on either side of the river just before the city as you come up the river, kinda like that scene from lord of the rings, what a sight for visiting cruise liners as they come around the bend of the river to enter the city.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Stick it up sure. Whats the worst that could happen? I think it looks great. Have been a fan since I saw it. Its something unique, much better than a certain local councillors Idea of a mount rushmore style bust of Michael Collins on mount misery.

If you love this idea, I have this monorail idea I'd like to sell you....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭914

Seen as you ignored my last post in response to you claims about poor paid jobs in Waterford

Full of poorly paid jobs?

You obvisiouly don't realise the amount of tech and pharma industry in Waterford.

Tech - sunlife, se2, redhat, threefold, tssg, routematch, bluefin, archlabs, errigal, distilled, fundrecs just to name a few.

Pharma - West, sanofi, bausch and lomb, Ivax again just to name a few.

As well as the above you also have larger employment in the public sector here, land registry, hse, tax etc...

Thankfully a lot of non poorly paid roles and companies exist in Waterford and the region

I think you will find Waterford isn't full of poorly paid jobs as you say.

Could you also provide statistics on Waterford being an "unemployment spot"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Where are you from?

gw80 wrote: »
    If money was no object, i think what would be a better idea would be two of these statues on either side of the river just before the city as you come up the river, kinda like that scene from lord of the rings, what a sight for visiting cruise liners as they come around the bend of the river to enter the city.

Now that you mention it that might not be a bad idea as they are a few scary orc which frequent the quays so it would really add to the experience :D

• Advertisement

They are from the 2016 census, could you provide more update figures?

We all know Waterford was still suffering from the depths of the recession then, just as Limerick was which was also pointed out in both links above

Again that is referring to parts of the city and not the city and county as whole. No different to employment blackspots in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick etc.

Latest signing on figures in Waterford are 7,125, how does that compare to the rest of the country per population?

This is the Waterford City forum not the county one. Parts of the city have over a third of residents unemployed. Add in disability and lone parents and that would be almost 50% on welfare.
    You can't say the city's recovering because a few housing estates out the Dunmore Road have well paid jobs in IT and pharmaceuticals.
    Waterford City has also the highest rate for minimum-wage jobs.

This is the Waterford City forum not the county one. Parts of the city have over a third of residents unemployed. Add in disability and lone parents and that would be almost 50% on welfare.
    You can't say the city's recovering because a few housing estates out the Dunmore Road have well paid jobs in IT and pharmaceuticals.

Where are you from?

So you reckon only people on the Dunmore Road have high paid IT and Pharma jobs? Seriously???

Could you tell me what parts of the city that have over a third of residents unemploye

What I don't get is , why you seem to take pleasure in every negative story related to Waterford and dismiss anything positive?

You think a €22 million over-sized eyesore is positive news. A social psychologist could write a book on Waterford about how the town is projecting its despair and neglect onto silly art pieces to make themselves feel important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

You think a €22 million over-sized eyesore is positive news. A social psychologist could write a book on Waterford about how the town is projecting its despair and neglect onto silly art pieces to make themselves feel important.

Oh myyy God.... now you’re Sigmund Freud. To be honest, you sound like one of these “de towen is fcuked” heads that hang around the place shouting at people in the middle of the day.

This project would be a positive addition to the place, as is Waterford Walls, as is the runway extension out at the airport. Yet all you can do is see the negatives and carp from the sidelines.

“Silly art pieces” - so are Christ the Redeemer, the Angel of the North, that mirror bean thing in Chicago, also all “silly art pieces”?

fricatus wrote: »
    This project would be a positive addition to the place, as is Waterford Walls, as is the runway extension out at the airport. Yet all you can do is see the negatives and carp from the sidelines.
    Painting empty buildings and extending a runway with no planes. You're right I do see the negatives in this. The mayor will probably cut the ribbon when the new Wetherspoons opens. The town is a laughing stock.

Painting empty buildings and extending a runway with no planes. You're right I do see the negatives in this. The mayor will probably cut the ribbon when the new Wetherspoons opens. The town is a laughing stock.

Are you living in town yourself do you mind me asking?

If so, I have yet to see you offer a solution, have you ever been involved in voluntary services to help improve things.

Employment seems to be an issue with you especially in certain parts of the city, have you offered your services to improve kids education, ensuring kids stay away from alcohol/drugs.

Maybe been involved in spraoi, waterford walls, winterval, tidy towns etc?

If you have not maybe this is a part that you could take that way you might actually see the positives around and not just the negatives?

914 wrote: »

If so, I have yet to see you offer a solution, have you ever been involved in voluntary services to help improve things.

Employment seems to be an issue with you especially in certain parts of the city, have you offered your services to improve kids education, ensuring kids stay away from alcohol/drugs.

If you have not maybe this is a part that you could take that way you might actually see the positives around and not just the negatives?

He can't get involved in things because he's not from Waterford. Might be originally from city but he stubbed his toe on the quay one day and has never forgiving the city for it.

debok wrote: »
    He can't get involved in things because he's not from Waterford. Might be originally from city but he stubbed his toe on the quay one day and has never forgiving the city for it.

Is this the same person that used to post under a different name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

debok wrote: »
    Definitely not from Waterford and deeply reminiscent of another (not so much nowadays) frequent poster on the Waterford city page. A new identity recycling the same old stuff perhaps? You can smell the begrudgery at 100 metres. I don't know why people give oxygen to some of the most blatant and intentionally offensive trolling on this forum. His posts should simply be ignored.

Is this the same person that used to post under a different name?

Very similar alright

He/She wont answer where he/she is living. I wonder is it Dublin. Wasnt the quiet fella living there....is it him who has resurfaced i wonder??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Should have been banned long ago. Ruins every thread in this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

You spend all your time trying to derail threads here. Injecting a litany of negative, false,crap. I would be of the opinion that Waterford is on the ascendant. The Greenway, Viking Triangle, Apple Market, Cathedral square redevelopment and the North Quays development are a testament to this.

I cannot seriously think your assessment of Waterford is based on any rational reflection, but probably a result of some personal grievance. You need to find a new shtick because most of the users here are quite jaded by your musings.

Advertisement