Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for an internet channel I can no longer watch

Options
  • 06-08-2019 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

A little over a year and a half ago I subscribed to an internet channel called CuriosityStream (it's like Netflix but for documentaries). You could pay monthly or annually. I have an annual subscription as this works out better value.

I use a Roku Streaming Stick to watch this channel on my television. The first year I had no problems. Now I'm on my second years subscription and last week the channel suddenly stopped working. It loads but after a couple of seconds just exits back to the Roku home page. I've tried everything I can think of to get it working to no avail. My conclusion is that it's the fault of the channel and there's nothing I can do about it.

If they're not going to fix this I want to cancel my subscription and get a partial refund. However they're not interested in answering my emails. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can either get them to pay attention to my problem and fix it or get a refund from them? I'm paying for a service I can no longer use. I might as well have flushed my money down the toilet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have you tried contacting them on social media?

If you paid by credit card, can you initiate a chargeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Victor wrote: »

I paid by Paypal. That was back in April. As I used it for about four months before it stopped working I was hoping to just get a partial refund.

I've tried contacting them on Twitter but have gotten no response. Their page seems to be a promotional tool and they don't seem interested in helping customers beyond telling them where they can send an email to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 am27

Victor wrote: »

I paid by Paypal. That was back in April. As I used it for about four months before it stopped working I was hoping to just get a partial refund.

I've tried contacting them on Twitter but have gotten no response. Their page seems to be a promotional tool and they don't seem interested in helping customers beyond telling them where they can send an email to.

You can log into your PayPal account to cancel the subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Ask PayPal to open a dispute on your behalf. I'm not sure if they can, but it's worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Can you still access it if you go to their webpage? If you can then it's your device that's faulty not their product so you've no recourse to a refund or cancelling the subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭corkboy38

looks like you're not the only person having issues with that Channel and roku based on a Twitter search

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Was it sold as specifically compatible with your Roku stick? If not then you're entitled to nothing.

You're buying access to the stream. If you can view it by other means and you didn't buy it because they advertised it as working with the stick, then they're still providing the service as purchased. The fact that the way you choose to view it no longer works is irrelevant from a rights point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

BeardySi wrote: »
    Was it sold as specifically compatible with your Roku stick? If not then you're entitled to nothing.

You're buying access to the stream. If you can view it by other means and you didn't buy it because they advertised it as working with the stick, then they're still providing the service as purchased. The fact that the way you choose to view it no longer works is irrelevant from a rights point of view.

In fairness, their ad reads on YT channels seem to focus pretty heavily on the watch on anything aspect, their support page (updated 6 hours ago) also lists Roku as a supported device:

https://help.curiositystream.com/hc/en-us/articles/209260738-What-platforms-and-devices-do-you-currently-support-

Surely if a service significantly changes how you access it then its grounds for cancellation? If you pay for Amazon Prime for a year, then half way through the year Amazon decide they don't ship to Ireland anymore, is that ok? I could understand if it was some unofficial 3rd party app that stopped working, but I would think this is definitely grounds for cancellation if you can't use the official app anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

In fairness, their ad reads on YT channels seem to focus pretty heavily on the watch on anything aspect, their support page (updated 6 hours ago) also lists Roku as a supported device:

https://help.curiositystream.com/hc/en-us/articles/209260738-What-platforms-and-devices-do-you-currently-support-

Surely if a service significantly changes how you access it then its grounds for cancellation? If you pay for Amazon Prime for a year, then half way through the year Amazon decide they don't ship to Ireland anymore, is that ok? I could understand if it was some unofficial 3rd party app that stopped working, but I would think this is definitely grounds for cancellation if you can't use the official app anymore

Unless you told the company that you where only going to use a Roku then they are still providing the service. Also it's not an Irish company so our laws don't apply to what they sell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement