Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monasterevin or Kildare

• 06-08-2019 7:12pm

I'm currently abroad but my wife and I are starting to think seriously about relocating to Ireland and what that might look like. Realistically, we want to be commuting distance from Dublin as our likely employers will be based there, predominantly in and around Citywest.

We are looking for a place that has a town rather than suburban feel and reasonable house prices, yet good transport links to Dublin and other vibrant towns.
    Kildare and Monasterevin come to mind. A Google map search indicates 34 minutes from Monasterevin to Citywest, 30 minutes from Kildare to Citywest.

With the M7 widening finished, traffic jams should be greatly reduced. In any case, in my industry, one can typically work from home 2 days per week and the rest of the week flexitime is a given.

I'm giving Monasterevin serious consideration.
    What I would like to hear are reasons why Monasterevin might not be a good option.

Naas and Newbridge seem too expensive; Naas also seems too suburban for our liking. Kildare also sounds great but doesn't seem to have much in the way of 4-bed detached new builds (unless anyone knows any different).

All input is welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Kildare is the livelier of the two towns and better served but Monasterevin is cheaper.....
    The M7 roadworks have made a huge difference already with the commute. If you want to stick to the trains then these two towns make sense, but Sallins is going to be less jammed once the new access road is finished. As you mentioned price will be driven up as you near Dublin so it's a call on cost vs convenience. I'm in Kilcullen so Citywest is 25 mins away but 10-15 mins from the nearest train station. Ballymore would be another option, Blessington is 25 mins from Citywest on a good day....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Kildare also sounds great but doesn't seem to have much in the way of 4-bed detached new builds (unless anyone knows any different).

There are some coming on the market or on the market in Kildare Town. Cloghgarret Abbey Rathbride Road and Wavertree on Tully Road both do or will have 4 bed detached homes or even Walker Hall which is being sold as fully serviced sites ready for self build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

We were looking at similar options and have decided on Kildare by a mile. (currently in Kill, previously Cork) Prefer a semi rural setting, so just waiting on the right place to come up.

Services are far superior especially restaurants, shopping and transport links.

Very close to Newbridge which offers everything a large town has.

We found monasterevin just a tad on the rough side if that's the right word.

Darc19 wrote: »
    We were looking at similar options and have decided on Kildare by a mile. (currently in Kill, previously Cork) Prefer a semi rural setting, so just waiting on the right place to come up.

Did you spend a bit of time in Monasterevin? What exactly was offputting about it? Genuinely curious. I know the time only from passing through it weekly before the M7 opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I live close to both Monasterevin and kildare and I definitely wouldn’t call one rougher than the other and to be honest I wouldn’t call Monasterevin or kildare rough.
    In terms of amenities kildare probably wins but property is slightly more expensive. Better pubs and restaurants in kildare but Monasterevin has the green bus every hour 24 hours a day , 10 minutes and a couple of euro into kildare , newbridge or Nass and Portlaoise the other way.
    School spaces seem to be an issue currently in Monasterevin but I think a new primary and secondary school are at planning stage.
    A few nice pubs in Monasterevin but definitely lacking a few restaurants and probably needs a lidl or aldi as well.
    Lots of sports clubs between both towns everything from running clubs to kettlebells most sports covered.
    I love heading over to Monasterevin for a spot of fishing or kayaking and the town as lovely walks along the river and canal and with the upcoming blueway along the barrow it will be ideal for safe family cycling and walks.
    Kildare currently has more houses being built and more of a selection to choose from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

As in the post, not sure if "rough" is the right word - probably "noisier" is the better word due to the age profile and there being a lot of young families.

We just found Kildare Town was a little more "gentile" than monasterevin.

But then we're of a more mature age and not looking at schools and stuff for kids. So that probably skews our views.

But transport links, entertainment and shopping are far better in Kildare Town.

If it's schools and stuff for kids to do, that would be for someone else to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

We've rented in Kildare Town the last two years and recently just bought a house here.

I like it my fiance is local but I'm not so I think I have a different perspective from her.

It's a growing town with plenty of house and coming up and more to come the next few years but I view that as a good thing.

Kildare Village is expanding, the proton cancer treatment centre was granted permission which I think will be A great addition along with Cherry Avenue public park which they hope to start on next year which will bring lots more amenities. Japanese gardens is nice with young kids on the bikes and isn't to bad if you buy a yearly pass price wise my kids love it on there bikes and we can let them off.

Plenty of schools and I'm led to believe if the planning permission is granted for the housing in Magee Barracks that it has been agreed another secondary school will be built.

Only thing I think it is missing is leisure centre which I find strange we go to naas for swimming lessons for the kids and I go to a gym in Newbridge.

But I think with a growing population either the council will step up or a private investor will realise it's an untapped market which I'm surprised hasn't happened already.

Plenty of places to eat and a few nice pubs. Generally a nice atmosphere around the place aswell.

You also have Tescos,Aldi and Lidl all within the town and Whitewater is only a stone's throw away in Newbridge.

My fiance commutes to Dublin a lot via train and finds it perfect I take the M7 I find it's fine mostly but I don't work regular 9 to 5 hours so not to sure on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I have lived in both, now in monasterevin since 2006.

Kildare town has much better schools and supermarkets etc.

In Mevin you need a car. Of that there is no doubt.

Neither town is "rough".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭tastyt

Do you mind me asking why your leaving kill? Not a nice area?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Aaron15

I'm currently abroad but my wife and I are starting to think seriously about relocating to Ireland and what that might look like. Realistically, we want to be commuting distance from Dublin as our likely employers will be based there, predominantly in and around Citywest.

We are looking for a place that has a town rather than suburban feel and reasonable house prices, yet good transport links to Dublin and other vibrant towns.
    Kildare and Monasterevin come to mind. A Google map search indicates 34 minutes from Monasterevin to Citywest, 30 minutes from Kildare to Citywest.

With the M7 widening finished, traffic jams should be greatly reduced. In any case, in my industry, one can typically work from home 2 days per week and the rest of the week flexitime is a given.

I'm giving Monasterevin serious consideration.
    What I would like to hear are reasons why Monasterevin might not be a good option.

Naas and Newbridge seem too expensive; Naas also seems too suburban for our liking. Kildare also sounds great but doesn't seem to have much in the way of 4-bed detached new builds (unless anyone knows any different).

I've moved to monasterevin from Dublin last year, I work in bluebell and get the train, my fiance works in city west and takes the M7, since the m7 widening it takes her about 30 mins to get to work, and as far as A "rough" town, it's far from it, people go out of the way to say hello to you here, they're very nice people , it's quite, laid back, there's some nice pubs and decent chippers and that, there's a state of the art gym, 2 GAA teams, a soccer team, we've just been granted permission for a blueway, there's a big super value, we do go to kildare a lot for drinks, as the pubs are a bit better and Newbridge for clothes shopping, kildare is a 5 min drive and Newbridge 10/15, there's a 24 hour green bus that's 2 euro, I'm 10 mins drive from the heritage golf club where they've a judge Roy beans a stunning course and a fine hotel. I think either option would be good, but we haven't any regrets on moving here, the total opposite if I'm honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement