Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joycons- what’s the alternative?

• 06-08-2019 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi

We have Joycons that are drifting. I’ve already bought 1 replacement set and now we have another set gone.

I’m not buying anymore Joycons. Are the wired and wireless controllers a decent option for them to use? Any advice?

The kids play Mario Odyssey, Minecraft, Paladins, Mario Maker 2 and Pokémon games.

Thanks!
    Pix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

The best officials with value for money are these:

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/search/?text=Wired+Controller+for+Nintendo+Switch

If you really wanna go wireless, its gonna cost you, The official Nintendo switch pro controller is top dog but they are like €70+ each a pop, which is crazy. So maybe someone else here can recommend a reliable cheaper alternative if thats what you're after..

Frankly if yer buying for kids id just go with the first option, but make sure the switch isnt placed over hard floor or high up as kids will no doubt tug the switch off where its sitting with wired controllers. My brother brought his son and his friends over to mine just the other week and they did just that with my switch, one of them ran across the front of them without thinking dragging the switch and then some to the ground (lil bastard :mad:), thankfully the switch is ok, but it was onto new carpet, if it was hardwood/tiles it would be RIP:eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have a Bebobcool PXN controller which works wired or wireless. I'm not sure if it's got NFC (and don't care as I don't do amiibo stuff), but aside from that it's great. Plus I got it off Amazon for around £20 rather than the ludicrous price of the Pro controller.

If you're willing to go wired there are legit controllers at similar prices; there is also the option of getting a USB adapter for GC controllers (though that depends on the games you want to play and only saves you cash if you already have some GC controllers). Note that if you go the GC controller route you still need at least 1 Switch type controller for interacting with the console menu, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Fysh wrote: »
    I have a Bebobcool PXN controller which works wired or wireless. I'm not sure if it's got NFC (and don't care as I don't do amiibo stuff), but aside from that it's great. Plus I got it off Amazon for around £20 rather than the ludicrous price of the Pro controller.

If you're willing to go wired there are legit controllers at similar prices; there is also the option of getting a USB adapter for GC controllers (though that depends on the games you want to play and only saves you cash if you already have some GC controllers). Note that if you go the GC controller route you still need at least 1 Switch type controller for interacting with the console menu, etc.

Thanks a mill, I’m going to look into all that! It’s all too expensive with the Joycons.

Really the Joycons are poor quality, I heard Nintendo are starting to admit there’s a problem with drifting, we’ll see..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

Pixied wrote: »
    Thanks a mill, I’m going to look into all that! It’s all too expensive with the Joycons.

Really the Joycons are poor quality, I heard Nintendo are starting to admit there’s a problem with drifting, we’ll see..

If you contact nintendo and tell them you're having that issue, they should give you an address to send them for repair free of charge. At least thats what ive read..

They should be replacing them with newer models that dont break tbh :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I got a controller from AliExpress for about €20, it's not as good as the official €80 pro controller but it's grand and does 80% of what I want it to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Anything by 8bitdo is worth considering too. Quality 3rd party manufacturer.

Advertisement