Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainfall Warning : Heavy Rain and Potential Thunderstorms Thurs 8 - Fri 9 Aug 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭esposito

TTLF wrote: »
    That is the only ever lightning strike, to ever scare me and make me cry

Woken up by it too. Even the iPhone weather app for my location is now alerting me that there is a thunderstorm in my area right now.

Seems to have been just one random loud rumble and that’s it though. Unless we get more later today with those heavy showers forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Strazdas wrote: »
    So Tallaght was the epicentre? The thunder boom must have been ferocious in the area

I’m a dangerously heavy sleeper, I’ve slept through the house alarm going off a few times before, and even a hotel fire alarm.. And here I am, wide awake. Wife was convinced our house was hit it was that loud, it seems like all neighbours alarms went off. My house is in that map above :) I’m just raging I missed the lightening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Havent slept yet, unbelievable storm

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

esposito wrote: »
    Woken up by it too. Even the iPhone weather app for my location is now alerting me that there is a thunderstorm in my area right now.

Seems to have been just one random loud rumble and that’s it though. Unless we get more later today with those heavy showers forecast.

I was awake, but it was the EXACT time I decided to close my blinds, and then BOOM, blinded by the close flashing light of the lightning, stumbled shook onto my bed and suddenly the Atomic bomb of that thunder went off, I was shaking speechless and tears rolling down my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I’m a dangerously heavy sleeper, I’ve slept through the house alarm going off a few times before, and even a hotel fire alarm.. And here I am, wide awake. Wife was convinced our house was hit it was that loud, it seems like all neighbours alarms went off. My house is in that map above :) I’m just raging I missed the lightening now.

I'm guessing that was one of the biggest flashes of lightning ever seen in Dublin. I'm five miles from Tallaght and yet the flash was massive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

So Tallaght was the epicentre? The thunder boom must have been ferocious in the area

Single loudest thunder clap I’ve ever heard. The amount of alarms set off by it was incredible. If anyone slept through that, then fair play to them.

Single loudest thunder clap I’ve ever heard. The amount of alarms set off by it was incredible. If anyone slept through that, then fair play to them.

My dad lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

Another flash in blanch just now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Biblical downpours of rain in Castlebar in the last 15 minutes, 16mm in the last hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Andderzz

aisling86 wrote: »

Here we go......

Thanks for sharing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

Must have been, that map is normally fairly accurate.
    https://meteologix.com/ie/lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CeeCeeBloom

My 9yr old did she will be raging!

Not sure, but if this is right, my area has gotten up to 45.0mm in the last 3 hours!!

Quite active atm

Do you think anyone recorded that bright flash ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

TTLF wrote: »
    Do you think anyone recorded that bright flash ?

It would come up on lots of CCTVs around the city....perhaps we might see one or two tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

There is hail hitting my window in Rathgar. North Dublin might get something.

I’m now too scared to look out my window after the flash before, goodnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Thunder and intense rain at 0430 Meath. Woke me and not the kids. Passed over now.
    When this band on the radar passes is that it then, nothing coming behind for rest of the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Potential is there for additional shower or thunderstorm activity as the air mass now moving in will become unstable especially if there's any sunny breaks during the morning hours.

Heavy rain has kicked off in blanch again just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Something woke the kids and dog around the time of that big strike in Tallaght so presume it was that. Just drove in to airport from swords and no major flooding just the usual spots having expected biblical stuff.

Had to drop the sail and take the life jacket off... embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Just drove from Roundwood to St Vincent's, not so much as a big puddle spotted all the way in. T'is grand.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Slept through the lightning/thunder in Dublin 16! 33.4mm recorded here since just before midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

D6 I was woken up at 3am by the sound of the rain room lit up like it was 12 noon and then a few rumbles ... rolled over and went back to sleep I knew if I got up to look I’d be up the rest of the night. Incredible downpour the literal roar of it !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I heard it in rathfarnham. One loud bang woke me up and then that was it. Nothing after that, I think

Very heavy rain now in Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Nice morning here on the kildare/Laois border very heavy rain most of the night turned to heavy showers around 3.30 am .
    Lost of lightning between 1.30 and 2.30am and about 20 minutes of the loudest thunder I have ever heard it literally shook the house.
    Distance rumbling then for a couple of hours .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Busy night out there!

Apart from heavy rain, all quiet here on the west coast. Breezy and more than breezy but dry and autumnal with that distinct feel to the air, and the first blackberries picked...

Advertisement