Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainfall Warning : Heavy Rain and Potential Thunderstorms Thurs 8 - Fri 9 Aug 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

While we all get excited by Thunder storms it has a down side like the houses that were struck by lightning and set on fire in Cobh Co Cork last night or the farmer who had eight cattle killed by lightning, my heart goes out to them all really terrifying experience and lucky to be alive.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/latest-cork-man-tells-of-moment-lightning-struck-his-home-as-thousands-remain-without-power-942841.html

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/video-rubber-clogs-saved-my-life-cork-couples-miracle-escape-after-house-struck-by-lightning-38389241.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Highest rainfall totals overnight

Roches Point 50mm
    Cork Airport 41mm
    Sherkin Island 35mm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Back in the city for a few hours, really heavy thundery downpours today every so often still.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

I do not like the look of the predicted rain sequence tomorrow
    Looks like a repeat of last Tuesday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Some impressively intense rain around 3 this morning in Dublin and I heard one rumble but I then fell asleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

Rain has eased off here in West cork and the sun is out. Circle of blue sky has appeared over head and the cloud tops seem to be building at a massive rate. Hopefully might set off a few spark's.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CeeCeeBloom

Can't post links but videos of that big bang surfacing on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Can't post links but videos of that big bang surfacing on social media.
    https://youtu.be/BOHzphY-KU8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

Whats the chances of this . This is according to netweather and is for Dublin .

Thunderstorm just NW of Castlebar now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Thunderstorm just NW of Castlebar now

One hell of a torrential downpour before it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Some impressively intense rain around 3 this morning in Dublin and I heard one rumble but I then fell asleep.

I fell asleep earlier in the night and woke up to one fierce crack of thunder a little after 3.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Zillah wrote: »
    I fell asleep earlier in the night and woke up to one fierce crack of thunder a little after 3.

Same, felt like the house was under attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Drove Meath and Galway. Wipers on most of the trip but nothing too intense. Humid, dark and dull Friday here in the West. Tomorrow looks even more depressing with slow moving rain all day
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

I wonder how much rain we'll get tonight,

If Dublin got (around 30-40MM) last night alone, I wonder how much we will get from tonight's rain.

Flooding possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

scuttery feeble showers today in west Mayo,no thunder last night,the event confined mainly to the south and south east, firing away over in the uk now,and when you look at that storm in france right now it makes what we got last night look pathetic,we really do get cheated out of everything.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Couple of strikes showing up west of Cork city.

Driving back to west cork now, lashing rain in bandon currently. Torrential downpour

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Up to 41.2mm rain now since midnight here, to put that in context, that amount is about a once in a year occurrence here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Couple of strikes showing up west of Cork city.

That would be over the clonakilty area it looks like, would make sense with the rain we are getting on the way down there! ESB power check also showing power outages there since 5pm, makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Surface low currently right over Shannon Airport area:

Qhl0gK9.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Lashing rain in Rathfarnham, eased a little but looks like its going to go again, Thunder started at 3.40 am, my daughters first thought was someone left the immersion on and its blown up. Just one big rumble and a few flashes of lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Storm 10 wrote: »
    While we all get excited by Thunder storms it has a down side like the houses that were struck by lightning and set on fire in Cobh Co Cork last night or the farmer who had eight cattle killed by lightning, my heart goes out to them all really terrifying experience and lucky to be alive.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/latest-cork-man-tells-of-moment-lightning-struck-his-home-as-thousands-remain-without-power-942841.html

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/video-rubber-clogs-saved-my-life-cork-couples-miracle-escape-after-house-struck-by-lightning-38389241.html

Definitely warranted a yellow warning so despite some people saying it was only a bit of rain forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very gusty winds in Kildare now

Thunder and lightning near Loughrea Co Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭KrakityJones

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Thunder and lightning near Loughrea Co Galway

Knocked the power out for a second, followed by a rumble. Nothing showing on lightningmaps tho. Hoping for more, gone very still outside all of a sudden

Power flickering in Castlebar

Knocked the power out for a second, followed by a rumble. Nothing showing on lightningmaps tho. Hoping for more, gone very still outside all of a sudden

2 flashes showed up on my app near Loughrea can't have thunder without lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Over 30mm of rain now since midnight in Castlebar, it's not been persistent for most of the day but we have had quite a few heavy deluges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I think I just heard thunder in Limerick, but it might have been a van door sliding.

Advertisement