Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prosecution for neglecting a goldfish

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

No-one mentioned the proliferation of "animal rights", this is about animal welfare and is a step in the right direction. Of course, the naysayers concentrate on the goldfish when in reality the focus of the article was on the condition of the guinea pigs, who were found "terrified" and uncared for in the dwelling following a call from a concerned member of the public.

The guinea pigs were incredibly undernourished, with a fifth guinea pig having already died. If you discount that suffering and blatant abandonment of defenceless animals is says a lot about your lack of humanity. I sincerely hope the authorities will proceed with a prosecution and hopefully it will result in a substantial donation being made to the ISPCA and a custodial sentence for the offenders.

"custodial sentence" for a Guinea Pig? Total madness

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

branie2 wrote: »
    Bizarre, if you ask me

That makes two of us!

I think we have out priorities all mixed up if we're making such a song and dance about guinea pig and a goldfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

I'll start by saying I hate to see animals abused, in so far as I once (in my youth) put a man against the wall for beating dog. What I think should happen to the likes of that "puppy farmer" from Carlow can not be printed, even here on boards

This piece is doing exactly what it is meant to do, rile up awareness that animal cruelty of any kind can be prosecuted in a court. And that can only be a good thing.

But no one really knows what happened here, the ISPCA haven't spoken to the owner yet. Who knows what happened, maybe the person the owner paid to look after their animals when on holidays let them down. I doubt it but there is no evidence in the journo piece to suggest otherwise.

Yet most people here are jumping on their own perferred bandwagon. Some people saying "whats the problem don't we nearly all hunt, fish, eat meat, and or wear leather etc etc" and forgetting that the mark of a man can be found in the way he treats his animals, or in their own attitude to animal cruelty/neglect

Others calling for the death sentence for goldfish neglect, yet will happily see leather and metal strapped to an animal, metal put in its mouth and it forced it to jump over fences it doesn't have too jump. Then turn and say that how much they love horses and how riding around on the back of an animal that wasn't born with an human saddled to its back and steel in its mouth, is the most natural thing in the world.

I'll wait and see if the dept of Agriculture thinks a prosecution is warranted and what the judge in that possible prosecution might say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Look if you are gonna have animals do it right or just don't have them.

I do understand people have things they are going through. They might feel isolated or unable to deal with animals. Its ok to ask for help anytime.

Abuse is obviously wrong.
    I'll start by saying I hate to see animals abused, in so far as I once (in my youth) put a man against the wall for beating dog. What I think should happen to the likes of that "puppy farmer" from Carlow can not be printed, even here on boards

This piece is doing exactly what it is meant to do, rile up awareness that animal cruelty of any kind can be prosecuted in a court. And that can only be a good thing.

But no one really knows what happened here, the ISPCA haven't spoken to the owner yet. Who knows what happened, maybe the person the owner paid to look after their animals when on holidays let them down. I doubt it but there is no evidence in the journo piece to suggest otherwise.

Yet most people here are jumping on their own perferred bandwagon. Some people saying "whats the problem don't we nearly all hunt, fish, eat meat, and or wear leather etc etc" and forgetting that the mark of a man can be found in the way he treats his animals, or in their own attitude to animal cruelty/neglect

Others calling for the death sentence for goldfish neglect, yet will happily see leather and metal strapped to an animal, metal put in its mouth and it forced it to jump over fences it doesn't have too jump. Then turn and say that how much they love horses and how riding around on the back of an animal that wasn't born with an human saddled to its back and steel in its mouth, is the most natural thing in the world.

I'll wait and see if the dept of Agriculture thinks a prosecution is warranted and what the judge in that possible prosecution might say.

Well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I actually don't think that is justice. Not even for a week.

Ever have a rat in your house?

Are rat traps illegal?

Rats can come and go as they please as wild animals, they can fend for themselves. A rat caught in a trap and killed instantly cannot be compared to animals in cages are reliant on their human owners for food.

No excuse for starving an animal to death.

• Advertisement

BuboBubo wrote: »

No excuse for starving an animal to death.

There could be financial hardship illness etc. Mental illness.

Youth.

I don't know any of this has happened etc.

A rat caught in a trap will usually starve to death. And it can't leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Clearly some people are not fit to be in charge of a goldfish.

but let's make excuses, youth, financial hardship etc.

if you cant look after an animal, give it to a rescue, don't leave it to die by itself.

From an early age, we were brought up to mind "God's creatures".

Parental responsibility is essential. Dont get a pet for the kids unless you can look after it.

Pets are not disposible, be they hamsters, guinea pigs, cats, dogs etc.

anewme wrote: »

if you cant look after an animal, give it to a rescue, don't leave it to die by itself.

A goldfish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Clearly some people are not fit to be in charge of a goldfish.

but let's make excuses, youth, financial hardship etc.

From an early age, we were brought up to mind "God's creatures".

Parental responsibility is essential. Dont get a pet for the kids unless you can look after it.

Pets are not disposible, be they hamsters, guinea pigs, cats, dogs etc.

Go down off that horse

A goldfish.

A Goldfish. And 5 Guinea Pigs.

Pet ownership is a responsibility.

Part of that responsibility is not to let animals in your care die slow painful deaths from starvation or dehydration.

Its just part of your moral compass or not.

Most people get it. The others should not keep pets.

• Advertisement

Go down off that horse

I will always speak out about animal abuse and abusers.

Zero tolerance for them.

No apologies for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,629 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

dvdman1 wrote: »
    "custodial sentence" for a Guinea Pig? Total madness

So where should custodial sentencing start?

Kitten/puppy?
    Sheep?
    Cattle?
    Fluffy puppies?
    Horses?

I will always speak out about animal abuse and abusers.

Zero tolerance for them.

No apologies for that.

As do i,

But a Goldfish?

So where should custodial sentencing start?

Kitten/puppy?
    Sheep?
    Cattle?
    Fluffy puppies?
    Horses?

Funny you should mention horses, there was a bloke in England jailed for punching a horse in the head or something along those lines

A Goldfish. And 5 Guinea Pigs.

Pet ownership is a responsibility.

Part of that responsibility is not to let animals in your care die slow painful deaths from starvation or dehydration.

Its just part of your moral compass or not.

Most people get it. The others should not keep pets.

Your morals are in no way better than mine let me tell you.

You can stop with that nonsense.

The amount of social media space devoted to animal abuse is totally disproportionate the problem.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/social-media-distorts-efforts-to-deal-with-animal-cruelty-minister-says-1.3660449

Of course we look after our pets. I am just not about to put a guy in mountjoy for forgetting to feed his guinea pigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Oh now you can stop that too. That is the other silly side of the argument.

Ants and guinea pigs are not even in the same universe.

He is a horrible person. I don't blame people being upset. I totally understand it i feel just as they do.

Nevertheless prison sentencing its just not living in reality.

I actually think it's a very valid point. At what point does it start to be a crime and who decides where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,629 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Funny you should mention horses, there was a bloke in England jailed for punching a horse in the head or something along those lines

Not seen that one, Jockey Davy Russel got into trouble for doing that though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

ziedth wrote: »
    I actually think it's a very valid point. At what point does it start to be a crime and who decides where?

ILoveYourVibes, apparently :D

It was a police horse.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2475009/Newcastle-fan-Barry-Rogerson-jailed-12-months-punching-police-horse.html

https://www.independent.ie/videos/world-news/warning-explicit-content-newcastle-fan-punches-police-horse-29564541.html

Horse didn't back down.

That area is really sensitive on a horse though. They have special riot protection to protect the nasal area and eyes.

nose-guard-visor_2.png

Still 12 month in a bit much.

Necro wrote: »
    ILoveYourVibes, apparently :D

Luckily for animals, its not.

The reports about this incident outline the powers given to the investigators and the scope of sentencing that the Courts can hand out, upon conviction.

Under the Animal Health and Welfare Act, ISPCA inspectors were designated as “authorised officers” five years ago, and handed powers similar to the gardaí for investigating suspected animal cruelty.

This includes the power to interview suspects under caution and take prosecutions, which on conviction can carry a maximum fine of €250,000 or a prison sentence of up to five years.

• Advertisement

That's the one.

They have a system in the UK for sentencing animal abuse

12 months for a horse
    10 months for a dog
    6 months for Cats
    3 months for gerbils and what not
    30 days for fish related harm

Works well

Under the Animal Health and Welfare Act, ISPCA inspectors were designated as “authorised officers” five years ago, and handed powers similar to the gardaí for investigating suspected animal cruelty.

Not a fan of that decision.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Not a fan of that decision.

I'm sure your local TD will get an earful then :)

That's the one.

30 days for fish related harm

Works well
    And fishing??

Necro wrote: »
    I'm sure your local TD will get an earful then :)
    Not worth it.

And by the way its for the SAKE of the animals themselves i am not a fan of that decision. But not getting into it here.

And fishing??

Especially Fishing

Especially Fishing
    :confused:

You are pulling my leg. I mean you can't over fish etc. But like is it cruelty to fish now?

I mean the verdict is unclear as to whether they feel pain or not??

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130808123719.htm
    Fish do not feel pain the way humans do. That is the conclusion drawn by an international team of researchers consisting of neurobiologists, behavioural ecologists and fishery scientists.

:confused:

You are pulling my leg. I mean you can't over fish etc. But like is it cruelty to fish now?

I mean the verdict is unclear as to whether they feel pain or not??

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130808123719.htm

There has been an upsurge in People fishing in small ponds around the town of Harlow, Essex for Goldfish. Considered a delicacy in some countries

There has been an upsurge in People fishing in small ponds around the town of Harlow, Essex for Goldfish. Considered a delicacy in some countries
    Bloody idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

the Animal Health and Welfare Act is the starting point

basically if you decide to keep a pet you have obligations to look after it to a reasonable level, feed it and not be cruel to it

I don't see a problem with that.

There is a maximum penalty outlined but the reality is no one is going to be put in jail for neglecting a goldfish

Advertisement