Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M2 drive not recognised

Options
  • 06-08-2019 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just finished upgrading my PC and having an issue within both the BIOS and windows picking up the m2 drive.

Nothing showing up in the storage list on the BIOS or in device manager or drive management.

Tonight I updated the BIOS to the most recent version and still no joy.
    Motherboard is MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon and the m2 is WD blue 500gb

Any advice is much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

See this
    1/ M2/NVMe drive are often not displayed in bios setup, only M2/SATA are.
    2/ To be able to boot on a NVMe drive (in other words, to install Windows on it), you have to set in bios setup "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Windows OS Configuration \ Windows 10 WHQL Support" at "UEFI" (it is at "CSM" by default).
    3/ If after #2 drive is not detected by Windows installer, do a clear CMOS:
    - Power off PSU, unplug the power cord and wait that all mobo's leds light off.
    - Either
    . short JBAT1 during at least 20s
    (if you have not a jumper cap, use something like a screwdriver but be cautious to touch only the 2 pins of JBAT1) or
    . remove the battery cell during 15mn.
    - Plug the power cord and power on.
    - Choose to enter in bios setup when asked.
    Set "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Windows OS Configuration \ Windows 10 WHQL Support" at "UEFI".
    (change nothing for the moment).
    Hoping it shall help,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Try the other m2 slot on your motherboard. I've got a MSI B450M Mortar, and the 2nd slot doesn't actually support SATA III 6GB m2 drives which I only found out after purchasing it. I have two m2 drives, one of which is the same WD Blue 500GB you've got, and it only works in one of the slots (so I can't actually install it, since I'm also using a Samsung 1TB drive that takes up the one slot).

You might need to initialize the drive in Disk Management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

Thanks for the advice, will try both of these and report back

You might need to initialize the drive in Disk Management.

Thanks, I've tried this already but it's not picking up the disk at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

Polar101 wrote: »
    Try the other m2 slot on your motherboard. I've got a MSI B450M Mortar, and the 2nd slot doesn't actually support SATA III 6GB m2 drives which I only found out after purchasing it. I have two m2 drives, one of which is the same WD Blue 500GB you've got, and it only works in one of the slots (so I can't actually install it, since I'm also using a Samsung 1TB drive that takes up the one slot).

Only got round to this tonight, swapped slots and it worked perfectly. Added my ssd's (after the m2 was confirmed in the BIOS) one at a time checking the BIOS after each one and all are detected.

Some other small bits and pieces to do but I'll post a pic once I'm finished in the new build thread.

Thanks once again for your help

• Advertisement
Advertisement