If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

55” TV recommendations

Options
  • 06-08-2019 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, I’m looking for recommendations for a new tv. Not in a huge rush to buy, but would like one before the rugby World Cup starts in 6 weeks. I’d originally been looking at the LG 55SK8100PLA but I can see this is no longer for sale. Any recommendations for something similar to this with a similar price bracket (€700-€750ish)? Ideally something with as many HDMI ports as possible, a centre stand rather than legs at each end of the tv and also LG or Sony. None of these three requirements are deal breakers, but they would be nice to have. Tv will be used for general viewing, a lot of sport, and a bit of gaming.

Thanks!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi lads, I’m looking for recommendations for a new tv. Not in a huge rush to buy, but would like one before the rugby World Cup starts in 6 weeks. I’d originally been looking at the LG 55SK8100PLA but I can see this is no longer for sale. Any recommendations for something similar to this with a similar price bracket (€700-€750ish)? Ideally something with as many HDMI ports as possible, a centre stand rather than legs at each end of the tv and also LG or Sony. None of these three requirements are deal breakers, but they would be nice to have. Tv will be used for general viewing, a lot of sport, and a bit of gaming.

Thanks!
    Hi DelBoy Trotter.

Thanks for the post.

The LG SK range has now been replaced with the SM range.

If done some checking within your budget and turned up nothing unfortunately.

However here are some that are in and around it.
    Starting at the LG 55UM7400 priced at 650 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204086-lg-55um7400plb-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-freeview-play.aspx

Hisense have the 55U7BUK priced at 779 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204200-hisense-55u7buk-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-uled-tv-freeview-play.aspx

Samsung have the 55RU7400 priced at 799 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203887-samsung-ue55ru7400-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-tvplus.aspx

The first Sony is the 55XG7073 but it has feet rather than a centre stand and is priced at 849 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204082-sony-bravia-kd55xg7073su-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-freeview-hd.aspx

There are a few 55" Philips around the 699 Euro mark but again have feet rather than a centre stand.

Let me know what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Thanks for getting back to me Kenny. I’m absolutely stumped as to what to get now that the LG 55SK8100PLA is no longer available.

Is the difference between 50Hz and 100Hz very noticeable considering I watch a lot of sport?

Looking at your site, is the LG 55SM8600PLA the direct replacement for the LG 55SK8100PLA? I didn’t expect the direct replacement to be such a jump in price.

What’s the difference between the LG 55UM7400PLB and LG 55UM7660PLA?

Sorry for all the questions, I’m just stumped as to what to get to suit my needs! My current tv is a 37” inch LG that is close to 10 years old so regardless of what I get, it’ll be a major step up!

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Thanks for getting back to me Kenny. I’m absolutely stumped as to what to get now that the LG 55SK8100PLA is no longer available.

Is the difference between 50Hz and 100Hz very noticeable considering I watch a lot of sport?

Looking at your site, is the LG 55SM8600PLA the direct replacement for the LG 55SK8100PLA? I didn’t expect the direct replacement to be such a jump in price.

What’s the difference between the LG 55UM7400PLB and LG 55UM7660PLA?

Sorry for all the questions, I’m just stumped as to what to get to suit my needs! My current tv is a 37” inch LG that is close to 10 years old so regardless of what I get, it’ll be a major step up!
    Hi DelBoy Trotter,

You would notice a difference between a 50Hz and a 100Hz panel, especially for sports. If the panel has a higher native processing rate it requires less augmentation and will give a smoother image (although no TV will ever completely eliminate motion judder.)

There aren't many differences in the panel between the 7400 and the 7660 however the 7660 has an upgraded smart hub with ThinQ AI and magic remote. They both have 50Hz panels though.

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

Is the LG 55SM8600PLA the direct replacement for the LG 55SK8100PLA? Or are there other models in the SM series?

Is the LG 55SM8600PLA the direct replacement for the LG 55SK8100PLA? Or are there other models in the SM series?
    Hey DelBoy Trotter.

The SM8600 is not really a direct replacement for the 8100 series.
    There are a few upgrades like the NEW Alpha 7 Gen 2, it has Apple Play 2 and an Apple TV app on board. Also supports WISA which can introduce wireless rears.

The 8600 would be more in the same league as the SK8500 series.

The 55SM8600 is currently listed up as an in-store collection and not available for shipping.
    At the moment there is no other SM range available to us.

• Advertisement

Hey DelBoy Trotter.

There are a few upgrades like the NEW Alpha 7 Gen 2, it has Apple Play 2 and an Apple TV app on board. Also supports WISA which can introduce wireless rears.

The 55SM8600 is currently listed up as an in-store collection and not available for shipping.

Do you have any idea when the SM8600 will be available for delivery again? It’s looking the most likely for me at the moment.

Just in case I get a rush of blood to the head....are all the discount codes for the OLEDs finished?

Hey DelBoy Trotter.

Do you have any idea when the SM8600 will be available for delivery again? It’s looking the most likely for me at the moment.

Just in case I get a rush of blood to the head....are all the discount codes for the OLEDs finished?
    Hi DelBoy Trotter.

To be honest I'm not sure when it will go back for delivery.
    I'll keep my eye on our site and it it changes drop you a message.

It would seem that all the vouchers on the OLEDs are now removed. Although the LG 55C9 does still have one but you are looking at £1999 before the voucher which is £125 off.

Hi DelBoy Trotter.

It would seem that all the vouchers on the OLEDs are now removed. Although the LG 55C9 does still have one but you are looking at £1999 before the voucher which is £125 off.

Thanks Kenny. I was hoping to get a tv delivered this week as I’m off work, so fingers crossed it comes back into stock in the next day or two

Hi DelBoy Trotter.

Thanks Kenny. I was hoping to get a tv delivered this week as I’m off work, so fingers crossed it comes back into stock in the next day or two
    Hi DelBoy Trotter.

I'll keep an eye on our site for you.

Hi Kenny,

I've just sent you a PM as the 55SM8600 is available to order again on your site.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Hi Kenny,

I've just sent you a PM as the 55SM8600 is available to order again on your site.

Thanks!
    Cheers DelBoy Trotter.

Tv ordered yesterday morning and was delivered 26 hours later. Great service from Richersounds again, thanks lads

Tv ordered yesterday morning and was delivered 26 hours later. Great service from Richersounds again, thanks lads
    Glad Your TV arrived in good time and everything went smoothly.

Should you require anything it future please let us know :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.