Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus at it again (women only need apply)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Varta wrote: »
    What gives you the right to push people out of their comfort zones?

I won't be doing it personally. But we need equality and I'm fully in agreement that this is equality for men too. Quotas on creche work, primary schools, beauticians, hairdressing are for the benefit of men. They help them into these jobs. But the beauty of it is, they open up places for women on building sites, etc. where guys who would otherwise become blocklayers or plasterers are now beauticians or tanning salon operators. This frees up place for women previously forced into those demeaning jobs to be crane operators, cement mixers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

Why are you twisting things? Nowhere on their website are they promoting women only drivers, they are doing a female driver recruitment open day. Presumably to show women that they can do the job or that they may enjoy it. Perhaps they can't get male drivers so are trying to attract women.

Ssshhhhhh, you're wrecking the outrage buzz. You're not supposed to look at actual facts or use critical thinking. Just treat it like a tabloid, thread title = outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

How is it going to solve the problem of the lack of men in teaching, childcare and Social care?
    Why arent more women applying for construction/Sanitation/physics?

Shhhh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

If a male only day was on that bus this would be front page news and there would be uproar......

It would make no sense, as the vast majority already applying for driving jobs with Dublin Bus are men. If, for some strange reason, hardly any men were applying, and lots of women were, then it would be perfectly normal for a company that desperately needs drivers to issue a similar rallying call to men.

They're not giving preference to women - this is just a way of getting more people to think about applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It would make no sense, as the vast majority already applying for driving jobs with Dublin Bus are men. If, for some strange reason, hardly any men were applying, and lots of women were, then it would be perfectly normal for a company that desperately needs drivers to issue a similar rallying call to men.

They're not giving preference to women - this is just a way of getting more people to think about applying.

That isn't how it would go down....

My main point is if a company of any sort put up male only day then this would be a big deal and protests etc.....

I actually would love to try it some day just to prove my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

My main point is if a company of any sort put up male only day then this would be a big deal and protests etc.....

well at least you have rowed back slightly on the nonsense in your OP. that is something i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

dvdman1 wrote: »
    Why would you want to have 50/50 m/f bus drivers?
    .....window dressing i dont see any push for female general laborours on building sites

Why when this topic arises do some people seem to imply that women never do hard or unpleasant jobs? Cleaners are much more likely to be female, as are care assistants for example. Both can be very tough jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

For building site work, we have trollies, winches and other aids. I even get patella booster spring knee brace ads in my YouTube feed nowadays. I'm sure similar aids are being developed for arm muscles. Physical strength is no excuse for persisting workplace inequalities.

aliens-ripley-powerloader_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Mind you I've noticed in some places on the continent there seems to be a lot more woman bus drivers than there are in Ireland which I thought was sort of odd wouldn't be in the majority or even equal numbers but still more than there are here.

That being said Go-Ahead seem to have quite a few women drivers more than DB per capita it seems and I haven't heard of them having any recruitment campaigns targetted at women. Personally think they should be targetting younger people as bus drivers seem to have an ageing demographic. Gender shouldn't be a factor it should be competency.

If, for example, the Department of Education was facing a primary school teacher shortage and launched an initiative to encourage more men to consider a teaching career, most people wouldn't bat an eyelid. I mean, would you have a problem with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If, for example, the Department of Education was facing a primary school teacher shortage and launched an initiative to encourage more men to consider a teaching career, most people wouldn't bat an eyelid. I mean, would you have a problem with it?

I think with primary teaching one of the main things holding men back is the attitudes of other men. Primary teaching is still seen as a job for women and men are viewed with suspicion. But even if that wasn't an issue I don't see as many men actually wanting to be primary teachers, so trying to force a quota is only going to result in more worthy candidates losing out.
    I think the same may be true of bus drivers. How attractive is the job to women in the first place?

Well I wouldn't agree with that either as I believe it should be based on how suitable the person would be at the job not their gender. If I had children I would like them taught by the most competent person regardles sof gender. This should be complete non issue for most companies or organisations if you ask me why does it matter what what gender a worker is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

I won't be doing it personally. But we need equality and I'm fully in agreement that this is equality for men too. Quotas on creche work, primary schools, beauticians, hairdressing are for the benefit of men. They help them into these jobs. But the beauty of it is, they open up places for women on building sites, etc. where guys who would otherwise become blocklayers or plasterers are now beauticians or tanning salon operators. This frees up place for women previously forced into those demeaning jobs to be crane operators, cement mixers, etc.

Again, the superiority. I know hairdressers who would be very insulted to be told that their's is a demeaning job. And how on earth is using a cement mixer somehow less demeaning than cutting hair? BTW quite a decent percentage of hairdressers are men.

Should supermarkets for example be putting more men on the checkouts and put more women stacking shelves

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't agree with that either as I believe it should be based on how suitable the person would be at the job not their gender.

but this is the case

the event is simply trying to encourage more women to apply

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I think this is great. Young girls need to see that they can drive busses too, be farmers, work on building sites and do similarly traditionally male jobs. Quotas really help with this.

However, I do believe push tactics may also help change minds too. A quota on the number of women allowed mind children, become doctors/nurses (currently overrepresented) and become teachers would be useful to push women towards male dominated roles. We need to push people out of their comfort zone to achieve equality.

So in your perfect world a woman should get a job over a man based on what’s between her legs.

Yeah ok... that’s really progressive.

Ya know what’s complete bullshít?
    I’ve NEVER in my life heard anyone tell a kid, male or female that they CANT be a firefighter, a nurse, a teacher based on their sex. Literally never. Let the best qualified people get the job.

Riskymove wrote: »
    but this is the case

the event is simply trying to encourage more women to apply

Honestly I don't see why it matters

It matters to Dublin Bus right now because it means that more people will apply overall. From a quality perspective, it makes sense to have the largest pool of applicants possible.

It matters to Dublin Bus right now because it means that more people will apply overall. From a quality perspective, it makes sense to have the largest pool of applicants possible.

So then why are they putting ads up specifically targeting females surely they should be targetting anyone who is interested in applying male or female. I honestly don't see why women would be put off applying if they are interested in driving a bus without a female targeted recruitment campaign. It's not like there is a physical element to the job that women might be put off by.

So then why are they putting ads up specifically targeting females surely they should be targetting anyone who is interested in applying male or female.

Because hardly any women are applying. If they can attract more women to apply, that brings the overall number of applicants up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I think this is great. Young girls need to see that they can drive busses too, be farmers, work on building sites and do similarly traditionally male jobs. Quotas really help with this.

No-one ever said that they can't. Ireland had it's first bus drivers 40 years ago. There's been no discrimination against them from anywhere and nothing to stop them applying for the job. They haven't done so in any sort of large numbers though. Likewise for the other jobs you mention.

I don't believe that quotas will solve the problem either. What if enough suitable females don't apply ? Do they take the ones that are not suitable as well or would it be better to take males that are ?
    IMO the most suitable person should be employed and that should have nothing to do with gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

What to expect on the day
    On the day you will meet some of our current female drivers and inspectors who will share with you their experiences of working with Dublin Bus.
    You will get the opportunity to drive a bus with one of our professional driving instructors.
    We will give you a tour of our Central Control centre, and we will take you through the recruitment process for bus drivers, and the various benefits of working for Dublin Bus.
    So if you don't want the job and you're a woman, you can basically go and get a free Bus driving experience:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

EV 18 is going around with the full AOA on it.

Eh?

Because hardly any women are applying. If they can attract more women to apply, that brings the overall number of applicants up.

Well from what I've heard they have a shortage of drivers so they should be targetting more demographics than just women. I honestly don't see why women are not applying anyway even without a female recruitment as there's nothing stopping them applying or doing the job if they are interested.

Men aren't going for the jobs there now. They're probably trying the women only days in the hope that the reason for no women applying is that they've never thought of being a bus driver.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Eh?

AOA stands for all over ad meaning that the bus the bus is covered is covered in an ad instead of the normal colour scheme in this case for female driver recruitment. Looks like this

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60501971@N08/48474934701/

So if you don't want the job and you're a woman, you can basically go and get a free Bus driving experience:)

I wonder if I could get away with selling 'bus driving experiences' that are just €50 a head for me to bring a few hens to Dublin Bus?

AOA stands for all over ad meaning that the bus the bus is covered is covered in an ad instead of the normal colour scheme in this case for female driver recruitment. Looks like this

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60501971@N08/48474934701/

Thanks.

Well from what I've heard they have a shortage of drivers so they should be targetting more demographics than just women. I honestly don't see why women are not applying anyway even without a female recruitment as there's nothing stopping them applying or doing the job if they are interested.

They should be targeting younger people (i.e. people in their early 20s) too. And they should be lobbying the government to drop the age requirement for city bus driving down to 18. With good training, they're an incredibly easy vehicle to drive.

There's nothing physically stopping women from applying, but for whatever reason, they haven't been doing so in large numbers. So they've launched an advertising campaign in the hope of changing that. They're not bumping women up to the top of the queue or anything - they're just trying to encourage more of them to apply. It really isn't a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,000 ✭✭✭Cordell

And who's going to park their buses when they get off at the end of the day?

Advertisement