Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus at it again (women only need apply)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

They should be targeting younger people (i.e. people in their early 20s) too. And they should be lobbying the government to drop the age requirement for city bus driving down to 18. With good training, they're an incredibly easy vehicle to drive.

There's nothing physically stopping women from applying, but for whatever reason, they haven't been doing so in large numbers. So they've launched an advertising campaign in the hope of changing that. They're not bumping women up to the top of the queue or anything - they're just trying to encourage more of them to apply. It really isn't a big deal.

I do get that but in my opinion if they want to increase the amount of people applying they should really have a gender neutral recruitment.

As for the age requirement it's already a requirement that you must hold a full licence for two years and the minimum age to get a driving licence is 17 so that would mean the minimum should be 19 not 18 or 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

I think this is great. Young girls need to see that they can drive busses too, be farmers, work on building sites and do similarly traditionally male jobs. Quotas really help with this.

However, I do believe push tactics may also help change minds too. A quota on the number of women allowed mind children, become doctors/nurses (currently overrepresented) and become teachers would be useful to push women towards male dominated roles. We need to push people out of their comfort zone to achieve equality.

If a person (man or woman) needs it implicitly stated in a job advert that they are encouraged to apply based on their sex then they obviously have **** all common sense, imagination or drive and i would be hesitant in employing them.

Do people really need it stated for them? Are they that thick and have no thought of their own to apply without all this ****e?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Varta wrote: »
    Again, the superiority. I know hairdressers who would be very insulted to be told that their's is a demeaning job. And how on earth is using a cement mixer somehow less demeaning than cutting hair? BTW quite a decent percentage of hairdressers are men.

Jobs like childminding and hair cutting have been looked down upon by a patriarchal society. Women take them because men won't and have first dibs on jobs like plastering and cement mixing. We need to overthrow this patriarchal regime with regimented quotas. Women should be allowed to mix cement and drive diggers

Jobs like childminding and hair cutting have been looked down upon by a patriarchal society. Women take them because men won't and have first dibs on jobs like plastering and cement mixing. We need to overthrow this patriarchal regime with regimented quotas. Women should be allowed to mix cement and drive diggers

Well in this context implement quotas then you'll be the one complaining when your bus doesn't show as they couldn't find enough women interested in applying for a job as a bus driver. That's fine if that's what you want but you have to appreciate most rational people couldn't care less if they're bus is driven by a man or woman as long as they get to where they're going in a safe and timely manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

kowloon wrote: »
    The downside is it breeds resentment from those excluded. I think people need to be punished for sexism, racism and so on, but employment needs to progress naturally through meritocracy, or as close to it as we can get.

I know a guy who was given preferential placement as he was a male primary school teacher in a profession with a female majority. It goes both ways. In a perfect world, sex wouldn't come into it.

True, but in a common sense world it also wouldn’t. In this day and age gender quotas are very wrong. Probably be more needed for members of the Traveller community for example, but that would require some action beyond mere virtue signaling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Well in this context implement quotas then you'll be the one complaining when your bus doesn't show as they couldn't find enough women interested in applying for a job as a bus driver. That's fine if that's what you want but you have to appreciate most rational people couldn't care less if they're bus is driven by a man or woman as long as they get to where they're going in a safe and timely manner.

You're missing the point. If women don't want the job they need to look into why. IF its sociological reasons, these need to be addressed. Then women will be more likely to apply. In the meantime let men take up the slack.

You're missing the point. If women don't want the job they need to look into why. IF its sociological reasons, these need to be addressed. Then women will be more likely to apply. In the meantime let men take up the slack.

Sure I would think all these career women nowadays would probably think they're too good to drive buses. In all honesty I'd say it's a mix of reasons llng hours for example women with young children might not suit them.

Also perceived to have a lot of anti social behaviour which women may feel more intimated by less so than men but that can be put down to a lack of Garda patrols of of our feral youth. It's generally women who tend to be afraid to use public transport so a job that literally involves spending an entire working day on public transport mightn't appeal to that many women.

Also it's generally men that enjoy driving and are into large vehicles. I would guess that a fair proportion of the people applying have some interest in vehicles whether that be cars, trucks or indeed buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

They want more women because they can pay them 70c for every euro a man would earn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Maybe security is the reason women don't reply. A friend drives buses in Cork and some stories are scary. Driving alone with just 1 or 2 drunken rowdy passengers can get scary. I don't know too many women who would feel comfortable with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

women cant piss into a fruitjuice bottle while driving down oconnell street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

greencap wrote: »
    women cant piss into a fruitjuice bottle while driving down oconnell street.

depends what you define as a "woman", I am currently identifying as a box of oranges today. I have no idea why my girlfriend is boiling sugar and water in equal proportions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Maybe security is the reason women don't reply. A friend drives buses in Cork and some stories are scary. Driving alone with just 1 or 2 drunken rowdy passengers can get scary. I don't know too many women who would feel comfortable with that.

Nobody should have to put up with that crap but it seems to be part of the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

Damn, I fell for it. Must be getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

dvdman1 wrote: »
    Why would you want to have 50/50 m/f bus drivers?
    .....window dressing i dont see any push for female general laborours on building sites

Well, you haven't look very far, all the big builders are crying out for women employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

How is it going to solve the problem of the lack of men in teaching, childcare and Social care?
    Why arent more women applying for construction/Sanitation/physics?

I'm of an age where college is not a distant memory. However, there were men entering those professions while I was there. I know women who are into electrical apprenticeships and some who are mechanics.

It's not perfect, but I didn't come here to debate the philosophy of it, only state the fact that it exists. Meritocracy is still in existence, its a long time since I looked at those particular provisions of the TFEU but from what I remember if one is still much more qualified the job will go to them. It was only to distinguish between similarly qualified candidates. In the case of teaching, childcare and social care, I would imagine it would go in favour of male candidates seeing as they are the "underrepresented" sex in those industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Lux23 wrote: »
    Why would you want to have 50/50 m/f bus drivers?
    .....window dressing i dont see any push for female general laborours on building sites

Well, you haven't look very far, all the big builders are crying out for women employees.

"General laborours" is what i said NOT women employees in builing industry like engineers
    I see zero just like rubbish truck employees zero again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭optogirl

What about the lack of female brick layers ?
    or bin collectors ?
    Or is it only for good jobs ?

Also, do you think maybe in general - men and women have different interests so in certain areas you will always have more men/women.

Equality of opportunity - yes, equality of outcome is a terrible idea - as it means the best people won't get the job in order for them to tweak the stats.

There are drives to get more women into construction - traditionally these jobs weren't even considered for girls and certainly not one girl I was in school with was ever given any help or direction from school/guidance councillor to go for construction jobs or apprenticeships - which would have really suited so many of us. Nurse or teacher was suggested for most of us. Now they have women with jobs in construction going into some schools (forward thinking ones) for career days etc to show the many varied & different things one can do on a construction site, from brick laying, plastering to QS jobs.

The whole 'I don't see too many women collecting bins' is a hackneyed and useless point. Female refuse workers do exist, I see a woman on a bin van every week in D7. Yes, still predominantly male but that's what these kinds of drives are trying to address. Gender imbalance in these roles, same as primary teaching & nursing for men, wont change until girls see women doing it and know that they wont be laughed at or jeered by their male colleagues for thinking they belong in such jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

It's funny seeing all the "what about brick layers" etc replies, when the go to simplistic reply for any attempt to address the balance in any other industry before used to be "well I don't see them looking for female bus drivers"

There are plenty of roles women find it difficult to do, not that they cant try. Wheel barrowing heavy loads all day on a building site may take more journeys, consistently lifting cavity blocks into place. These can all be done by women but its harder.

physical standards had to be lowered in the defence forces to help women join.

https://www.military.ie/en/careers/defence-forces-fitness-testing/

There are plenty of roles women find it difficult to do, not that they cant try. Wheel barrowing heavy loads all day on a building site may take more journeys, consistently lifting cavity blocks into place. These can all be done by women but its harder.

I don't see why women would find driving a bus difficult. It is not a physically difficult job no more so than working in an office there is no physical strength required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I don't see why women would find driving a bus difficult. It is not a physically difficult job no more so than working in an office there is no physical strength required.

Spacial awareness is a big requirement. How many women do you know that can and will willingly parallel park a car successfully ?

And before anyone starts im not saying all wen are worse drivers and its impossoble for them to do it but in general the standard of driving from women is far poorer than men.

Spacial awareness is a big requirement. How many women do you know that can and will willingly parallel park a car successfully ?

And before anyone starts im not saying all wen are worse drivers and its impossoble for them to do it but in general the standard of driving from women is far poorer than men.

If the standard from a woman candiate is high then she should be given the job likewise a male candiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Hahahaha! That's why we used to get cheaper insurance because women are shittier drivers on the whole and cause so many more accidents but the insurance industry wanted to make allowances for us because... poor women. :pac::pac:

May I see your peer reviewed research that bears out your assertion that 'in general the standard of driving from women is far poorer than men."? Or has the Incel Irritation Weekly not published it yet? :D

Try saying that when your on the last bus pulling a junkie out the door, ive seen many abus man doing the right thing because the cops wont come.

Try saying that when your on the last bus pulling a junkie out the door, ive seen many abus man doing the right thing because the cops wont come.

They are supposed to remain in their cab with the assault screen securely up

Thats the perfect world..ive seen bus men preventing a lot of trouble and there totally on there own..no they dont hide behind the screen... they do the right thing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Not much use when they get in through side window or in the SG put their hand in at ticket machine which I've had including a woman grabbing the steering wheel.

Not much use when they get in through side window or in the SG put their hand in at ticket machine which I've had including a woman grabbing the steering wheel.

So maybe then the best way of attracting more female candiates would be to improve security measures including making sure the cab is completely sealed instead of this silly campaign and tougher sentences for scum.

Thats the perfect world..ive seen bus men preventing a lot of trouble and there totally on there own..no they dont hide behind the screen... they do the right thing

Unfortunately the right thing is often what ends up with the worse result for the victim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If the standard from a woman candiate is high then she should be given the job likewise a male candiate.
    Agreed , my point was more in general that there are likely less women bus drivers as its not as suitable to general abilities, like how theres less male soecial needs assistants or carers etc..

Advertisement