Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus at it again (women only need apply)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Spacial awareness is a big requirement. How many women do you know that can and will willingly parallel park a car successfully ?

And before anyone starts im not saying all wen are worse drivers and its impossoble for them to do it but in general the standard of driving from women is far poorer than men.

Hahahaha! That's why we used to get cheaper insurance because women are shittier drivers on the whole and cause so many more accidents but the insurance industry wanted to make allowances for us because... poor women. :pac::pac:

May I see your peer reviewed research that bears out your assertion that 'in general the standard of driving from women is far poorer than men."? Or has the Incel Irritation Weekly not published it yet? :D

Womens insurance was cheaper because they drive statistically way less miles than men do, are more risk averse than men are and drive lower value cars than men in general. Insurance is all about stereotypes.

Men drive 75% of every driven mile in the country on any given day, in hazardous weather conditions or at night the vast majority of women just do not drive at all.

Per mile covered men are much safer drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the right thing is often what ends up with the worse result for the victim.

"Call the cops" isn't a solution and its like that screen a hiding place.
    My mate drove nitelinks in Dublin and he didnt care what his job policy and procedure said.. he refused to look at scum interfering with an old person. He used force to remove them and was very glad he did...prevented cops, assault, courts and a lot of hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Women can inherit farms too you know.

For building site work, we have trollies, winches and other aids. I even get patella booster spring knee brace ads in my YouTube feed nowadays. I'm sure similar aids are being developed for arm muscles. Physical strength is no excuse for persisting workplace inequalities.

Obviously never worked on one then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

dvdman1 wrote: »
    "Call the cops" isn't a solution and its like that screen a hiding place.
    My mate drove nitelinks in Dublin and he didnt care what his job policy and procedure said.. he refused to look at scum interfering with an old person. He used force to remove them and was very glad he did...prevented cops, assault, courts and a lot of hassle

That's well and good but if he had of ended up getting assaulted by the said scumbag he wouldn't have got any compensation from Dublin Bus as they'd argue he wasn't following the procedure and would be left to fend for himself.
    It should a given that a bus driver is not a victim of physical or verbal abuse their job is to drive a bus, take fares and help passengers. Women should not feel too intimated to become a bus driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I don't see any problem with this recruitment campaign tbf. I think it's great. At any time that I see a female bus driver on my route; they are there to do a professional job to their passengers & they do it very well or equivalent to their male bus driver colleagues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

As I'm sure some of you are aware I've been that driver and have stepped in to help people when it's been serious enough.

I've been attacked in the job screen up or down to be honest for me makes no difference.

I do use it now as I found I'd be sick less from people sneezing and coughing on me.

I was told to get out and check a car that the driver said I'd hit him, I did so and the driver tried to headbutt me while I was looking and all I asked was could he show me the damage, his wife then swung for me and they then jumped in the car in which he reversed at me before screeching up the road...

He actually went into the garage to put in a complaint and wanted money for his car there and then....

The Guards had adequate footage to show him putting his hands on me and trying to hit me with the car and their answer was there isn't enough evidence....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

optogirl wrote: »
    Now they have women with jobs in construction going into some schools (forward thinking ones) for career days etc to show the many varied & different things one can do on a construction site, from brick laying, plastering to QS jobs.

I wouldn't consider that very "forward-looking," for the simple reason that several companies (such as the New York-based Construction Robotics) have developed robot bricklayers that can outperform humans in terms of speed and accuracy. It seems silly to encourage any schoolchild (boy or girl) to become a bricklayer at a time when many such jobs will soon be replaced by automation.

Same logic goes for bus drivers. With tech companies pouring billions into developing self-driving vehicles, it doesn't seem like the smartest career choice for any young person.

Same logic goes for bus drivers. With tech companies pouring billions into developing self-driving vehicles, it doesn't seem like the smartest career choice for any young person.

City buses will likely be the last vehicles to be automated. Honestly can't see them coming in anytime soon in this country and if they do come which my guesstimate would be 50-60 years there will likely be generous redundancy packages for bus drivers like the redundancies that council binmen got when the bin service was privatised.

I'd say there'd be many careers that will fall victim to automation before bus drivers. We don't even have electric double decker buses and hybrids are only starting to come in here in Dublin so I can't see automated buses coming in anytime soon.

City buses will likely be the last vehicles to be automated. Honestly can't see them coming in anytime soon in this country and if they do come which my guesstimate would be 50-60 years there will likely be generous redundancy packages for bus drivers like the redundancies that council binmen got when the bin service was privatised.

Given that driverless technology is already being rolled out in cities around the world, I don't buy into your guesstimate that it won't affect Dublin Bus for another half-century.

People really need to process the huge changes that will come about over the next couple of decades due to rapid advances in automation and artificial intelligence. Someone who is in secondary school today really shouldn't be considering bus driving as a viable career. They're likely to be unemployable before they turn 40.

Given that driverless technology is already being rolled out in cities around the world, I don't buy into your guesstimate that it won't affect Dublin Bus for another half-century.

People really need to process the huge changes that will come about over the next couple of decades due to rapid advances in automation and artificial intelligence. Someone who is in secondary school today really shouldn't be considering bus driving as a viable career. They're likely to be unemployable before they turn 40.

But it won't only be bus drivers that will be affected thought there was a whole line of jobs that are supposed to be automated. Thought I heard in years to come that whole swarthes of people will become unemployed due to automation.

All the trials so far have been fairly small scale and the vehicles generally still have a steering wheel and a driver that's ready to take over. Also can't see vehicles that run on petrol/diesel have the ability to become autonomous and there are lots of issues with electric vehciles can't see autonomous vehciles become the norm before EVs become the norm.

Also the bus industry in the UK and Ireland has traditionally been a conservative with a preference to stay with what has been tried and tested and has been generally slow to adapt to new technologies. This can be seen today with DB and GAIs outdated wayfarer ticket machines.

• Advertisement

But it won't only be bus drivers that will be affected thought there was a whole line of jobs that are supposed to be automated. Thought I heard in years to come that whole swarthes of people will become unemployed due to automation.

Exactly -- it's not only bus drivers. Numerous occupations will be affected.

The website willrobotstakemyjob.com uses data from the USA in an effort to predict the likelihood of a profession being automated. It suggests that inter-city bus drivers have a 67% chance of being replaced by robots within the next two decades, which is a fairly bleak prognosis for any young person hopping behind the wheel of a double-decker today.

The bigger question is not whether we need more female bus drivers, but whether we need human bus drivers at all -- and the answer from Silicon Valley seems to be that we do not.

The website willrobotstakemyjob.com uses data from the USA in an effort to predict the likelihood of a profession being automated. It suggests that inter-city bus drivers have a 67% chance of being replaced by robots within the next two decades, which is a fairly bleak prognosis for any young person hopping behind the wheel of a double-decker today.

Ok but please tell me how reliable that website is? I predict it would likely be a phased transition where the bus will be able to run fully automated but a driver will still be present to take over if needs be. I am well up on this industry and haven't very many prototypes of these vehicles.

The last transition was to low floor buses and the one before that was to DOO buses, the current transition is to hybrid buses, the next one will probably be to fully electric buses and after that we may get automated buses. Also you fail to acknowledge that if and when automated buses are introduced then there will likely be generous redundancies.
    The bigger question is not whether we need more female bus drivers, but whether we need human bus drivers at all -- and the answer from Silicon Valley seems to be that we do not.

Well right now at this moment in time and likely for the foreseable future the answer is yes we do need human bus drivers as the technology is yet to advance.

Ok but please tell me how reliable that website is? I predict it would likely be a phased transition where the bus will be able to run fully automated but a driver will still be present to take over if needs be.

The website uses data from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. Naturally, economic modeling can have a significant margin of error -- but numerous analysts and economists have studied the topic of automation, and all the smart money is on jobs such as bus driving and bricklaying employing far fewer people in decades to come.

How you look at this will depend on circumstances. For a 58-year-old bus driver, it's unlikely to have much impact on the remainder of his career. For an 18-year-old, it's not a job that can reasonably be counted on for the future.
    Well right now at this moment in time and likely for the foreseable future the answer is yes we do need human bus drivers as the technology is yet to advance.

What's your definition of "the foreseeable future"?

When Netflix announced back in 2007 that it would launch a streaming video service, I'm betting most people working at Xtra-vision weren't all that concerned. Less than ten years later, Xtra-vision had gone into liquidation, and now the idea of renting a DVD is anachronistic.

Technology can advance much more rapidly than you might think, especially given the billions that Silicon Valley is currently pouring into R&D. So don't be surprised if driverless technology becomes commonplace much sooner than you anticipate.

The website uses data from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. Naturally, economic modeling can have a significant margin of error -- but numerous analysts and economists have studied the topic of automation, and all the smart money is on jobs such as bus driving and bricklaying employing far fewer people in decades to come.

Are these people experts on public transport and or the bus industry in specific or just general economists? If the possibility was coming as quickly as you or that website believe then we will already be seeing signs like buses being able to operate on driverless mode and things like that. Change is generally gradual not rapid.
    How you look at this will depend on circumstances. For a 58-year-old bus driver, it's unlikely to have much impact on the remainder of his career. For an 18-year-old, it's not a job that can reasonably be counted on for the future.

Well maybe those changes will come in when that 18 year old now is in their 40s which will result in a redundancy package that will allow them to take an early retirement or an oppurtunity to retrain.
    What's your definition of "the foreseeable future"?

About 20 or 30 years
    When Netflix announced back in 2007 that it would launch a streaming video service, I'm betting most people working at Xtra-vision weren't all that concerned. Less than ten years later, Xtra-vision had gone into liquidation, and now the idea of renting a DVD is anachronistic.

Well there's a fair difference between selling DVDs and a safety critical role like a bus driver who has the hands of 80+ lives in their hands.
    Technology can advance much more rapidly than you might think, especially given the billions that Silicon Valley is currently pouring into R&D. So don't be surprised if driverless technology becomes commonplace much sooner than you anticipate.

Do you think petrol or diesel powered vehicles are capable of operating without a driver

Change is generally gradual not rapid.

Is it? Evidence of rapid technological change is everywhere around us, affecting almost every sector of society.
    Well maybe those changes will come in when that 18 year old now is in their 40s which will result in a redundancy package that will allow them to take an early retirement or an oppurtunity to retrain.

Why would an 18-year-old invest in becoming a bus driver today if there's a good likelihood that job won't exist by the time she's 40?
    Well there's a fair difference between selling DVDs and a safety critical role like a bus driver who has the hands of 80+ lives in their hands.

Driverless vehicles offer potential safety advantages over human drivers. They don't get distracted, get drunk or high, drive while exhausted, text while driving, etc. After all, the safety record of human drivers (approximately one person killed every 25 seconds worldwide in a road traffic accident) is fairly appalling. Technologists are betting on robots doing a much better job.

Why would an 18-year-old invest in becoming a bus driver today if there's a good likelihood that job won't exist by the time she's 40?

Well for a start you must 21 or older to be able to get a bus licence. The same could be said about many jobs I thought I heard that 80% of jobs will be replaced by robotics in the years to come.
    Driverless vehicles offer potential safety advantages over human drivers. They don't get distracted, get drunk or high, drive while exhausted, text while driving, etc. After all, the safety record of human drivers (approximately one person killed every 25 seconds worldwide in a road traffic accident) is fairly appalling. Technologists are betting on robots doing a much better job.

Maybe for cars but professional bus drivers are generally far more skilled than people who drive cars. Bus transport is generally regarded as an extremely safe mode of transport also bus drivers are subject to far more random drug and alcohol testing by their companies.

I don't see any problem with this recruitment campaign tbf. I think it's great. At any time that I see a female bus driver on my route; they are there to do a professional job to their passengers & they do it very well or equivalent to their male bus driver colleagues.

I don't think anyone has a problem with women working as bus drivers what people have a problem with is that it is a recruitment campaign which is being targeted at women. I find most bus drivers very professional at their job regardless of their gender.

I don't think anyone has a problem with women working as bus drivers what people have a problem with is that it is a recruitment campaign which is being targeted at women. I find most bus drivers very professional at their job regardless sof their gender.

I've put this to quite a few ladies and I'm honestly getting the same answer.... It's actually not right and if it were a man open day it would cause war.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I've put this to quite a few ladies and I'm honestly getting the same answer.... It's actually not right and if it were a man open day it would cause war.

You can’t have man only anything.

You can have women’s gyms though, women’s insurance only, women job applicants, you can rent your house to women only...the list goes on. But as usual it’s grand because after all I’m a man and I have male privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Is it? Evidence of rapid technological change is everywhere around us, affecting almost every sector of society.

I drive buses and most breakdowns I've experienced have been the result of faulty sensors (coolant, oil, AdBlue, doors, wheelchair ramp, etc). There is a very, very long way to go before driver-less double-deck buses will even be trialled in this country, let alone rolled out across a fleet of several thousand. Even if the technology was there, or nearly there (which it really isn't), the NTA does not do rapid technological change - they're still using 1990s ticketing systems on buses.

• Advertisement

You can have women’s gyms though, women’s insurance only, women job applicants, you can rent your house to women only...the list goes on. But as usual it’s grand because after all I’m a man and I have male privilege.

Women's only insurance was opeyby the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Technological change is slowing down.

Because that’s a fantasy.

Your statistics are not very useful. we would need fatalities per passenger mile and even then a comparison with non existing technology isn’t possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Women's only insurance was opeyby the EU.

https://www.its4women.ie/womens-insurance-ireland.aspx

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Didn't an irish golf club successfully keep a male only membership thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Didn't an irish golf club successfully keep a male only membership thing?

Portmanock golf club. The supreme court found in their favour

What's your point they must insure men also.... The EU put a stop to women only...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 youzack

Here is the facts that they dont tell you in todays world of equality.
    Men and Women are different
    One obvious example is the plumbing
    Men can and do whip it out and piss anywhere
    See bus termini with bottles of piss on the ground, coffee cups used to piss in, that would be the male drivers
    You wont see a female driver piss in a empty bottle, would not expect them, but NTA/DB have zero problem with male drivers doing the same, as it keeps service running.
    You think DB is bad now for buses not turning up?
    Official policy is if you need to use the toilets and none is available at terminus, you drive the bus back to depot and use facilities.
    male drivers just piss on side of road, only go back to depot for dump
    Now if a bus goes back to depot, it leaves the next bus in a service gap, the driver of the bus after the missing bus will get grief from passengers.
    Now this is not a regular thing, when you know driver has gone back to depot to use toilet, happens once in a blue moon, you just suffer the abuse as it is not everyday
    Imagine many women drivers who need to use toilet and take bus back to depot
    Now this happens every day, i as a male driver and now constantly getting grief from passengers because of missing buses
    Now i no longer piss at side of road/ into bottle/coffee cup, i also take bus back to depot to use toilet.
    Bus service will be missing busses left right and center.
    This is the reality of current toilet problem, any current female driver will tell you that they have to watch what they drink hours before they start work, of course sometimes they judge it wrong and have to take bus out of service, its not a problem now as there as so few female drivers, but will be if there are many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

I'm male and have car insurance from them, they were the cheapest. They don't discriminate, if anything it's cheaper for men because males tend not to consider it and thus they want to balance the books (I assume).

I'm male and have car insurance from them, they were the cheapest. They don't discriminate, if anything it's cheaper for men because males tend not to consider it and thus they want to balance the books (I assume).

I presumed it was aimed at women but not women only a bit like Yorkie's old branding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wtf is wrong with just leaving men and women alone to find their own feet?

This incessant trying to equalize males and females. It’s ludicrous..

Advertisement