Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus at it again (women only need apply)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Women can inherit farms too you know.

For building site work, we have trollies, winches and other aids. I even get patella booster spring knee brace ads in my YouTube feed nowadays. I'm sure similar aids are being developed for arm muscles. Physical strength is no excuse for persisting workplace inequalities.

To dismiss the issue of physical strength and physical capability in certain jobs with male v female is ignorant..

Physical strength/capability is a verifiable excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Look I'm just getting peeed right off with all the crap and crazy sh1t I come across in the news, online and when dealing with the public.....

If it were me starting over again I'd have gone nowhere near driving.... Dealing with the public is a absolute nightmare at times and they always think no matter what that they're right....

If women want to join jaysus id be the 1st to say fair play and if it's something you believe you would like go ahead and hopefully it goes well....

This constant male bashing is getting tiresome to be honest....

Yes I'm fully aware of the woman was for the home and kitchen etc which is just so stupid to even think that but one thing that is as I've mentioned before is getting away from us all is women can give birth and males can't.....

We need more Irish to have more kids or else when we are older we will have a deficit and nobody to pay into the pension pot and taxes which unfortunately are needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Dublin Bus are suggesting to women to apply also, because they tend not to. How is this male bashing?

People are just reading what they want into this in order to annoy themselves.

Yeah it wouldn't bother me if men and women were left to choose for themselves, but if there was a drive to encourage more men to become teachers or nurses, I wouldn't see this as a bad thing.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Dublin Bus are suggesting to women to apply also, because they tend not to. How is this male bashing?

People are just reading what they want into this in order to annoy themselves.

Yeah it wouldn't bother me if men and women were left to choose for themselves, but if there was a drive to encourage more men to become teachers or nurses, I wouldn't see this as a bad thing.

Right this is the thing if it were done the women would lose there absolute SH1t with it.....

I have a problem with it more so as it's good for them but not for us attitude....

I take your point you wouldn't mind but be honest if it were a male open day ah come along you'll love it day the women and media and lgbtqghdbvtevbdhhvb.... Would lose their SH1TE too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Women who are pain in the arse feminists would. But believe me, they do not represent all women.

• Advertisement

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Women who are pain in the arse feminists would. But believe me, they do not represent all women.

No I do believe you sure showed it to friends, family and the wife ;-) and all said wtf....

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I presumed it was aimed at women but not women only a bit like Yorkie's old branding

Like most things in life, buck the trend. Where the masses go, you go the other way and you'll usually be better off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

We need more Irish to have more kids or else when we are older we will have a deficit and nobody to pay into the pension pot and taxes which unfortunately are needed.

Government already has that sorted by taking in migrants from third world countries.

Government already has that sorted by taking in migrants from third world countries.

Very true but now I'll throw a curve ball what % will actually work and contribute????

The family reunification is something else....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

If it were me starting over again I'd have gone nowhere near driving.... Dealing with the public is a absolute nightmare at times and they always think no matter what that they're right....

I've been doing the same job (albeit for less money) for a year now, and while I sort of accidentally fell into it (chanced my arm with an application and then forgot about it until they asked me to attend an interview), I can't see myself doing anything else for the foreseeable future. The buses are nice and easy to drive, I'm meeting different people every day - the vast majority of whom are grand. I absolutely love it. The weirdness, the odd characters, the camaraderie with colleagues, the independence, the lack of a boss breathing down your neck, the unpredictability of it all.

It's still very new to me, so maybe the novelty will wear off and I'll end up like those Dublin Bus drivers who've been in the job for 20 years and can no longer summon up the energy to emit more than a grunt when a customer asks them a question.

Male or female, if you don't like your current job, you enjoy driving, have a decent sized bladder and you aren't a misanthrope, I'd strongly recommend bus driving as a career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Based on all my experiences, I would be of the opinion that bus driving is better suited to women than men.

I spend quite a bit of time in the south of France where, from experience the split seems to be 50/50 male female or maybe more women than men. I have no idea if this is an initiative/policy, or just in that part of the world it's not seen as a male dominated job.

I have had nothing but extremely positive experiences there with female drivers there. They tend to be more friendly than their male counterparts (and a decent part of the job is dealing with customers) and I believe all the statistics suggest that women are statistically safer (note safer, not better) drivers than men. Therefore, it would seem a no brainer to me that it's a job better suited to women.

I've had numerous negative experiences with Dublin Bus drivers over the years, both as a customer and a cyclist/driver, all with male drivers. A lot of these involve drivers driving dangerously/aggressively when I'm cycling. And I've had many experiences of bus drivers driving recklessly/too fast when the bus was empty (I used to live in an area where a lot of empty busses would pass through). While its generalising a little, I do think that sort of slightly "macho" driving is far more likely to occur with male drivers.

So overall, having had numerous positive experiences with female drivers over the years and literally all my negative experiences being with male drivers, in my opinion, I'd see no reason why it doesn't make sense to have, at least a better gender mix, if not a female majority of bus drivers.

Bus driving should have nothing to do with dealing with people, train driver doesn't, Luas/ team driver doesn't, pilot, delivery driver yada yada....

Bus driving should have nothing to do with dealing with people, train driver doesn't, Luas/ team driver doesn't, pilot, delivery driver yada yada....

Seems to work in order countries for example in Italy buses have three doors and tickets have to be bought in advance of travel then stamped up to ticket inspector to ensure everyone pays. I guess some delivery drivers do deal with the public though as they call to your house with a parcel and get you to sign for it.

Seems to work in order countries for example in Italy buses have three doors and tickets have to be bought in advance of travel then stamped up to ticket inspector to ensure everyone pays. I guess some delivery drivers do deal with the public though as they call to your house with a parcel and get you to sign for it.

Yes but none while actually driving.....

I'll be straight up I've had so much happen while driving it's unreal....

I've had the steering wheel grabbed twice.

I've been spat in the face numerous times, punched on a few occasions, items thrown at me such as ice in the snow, stones, oranges etc and pellets etc....all over the years of course not just one day but we should be allowed drive and have no other involvement....

Sure a work colleague had a collision where foreign student ran out in front of him without warning and ended up with millions as the judge said as the driver had been asked a question by a passenger and no interaction for 6 seconds after driver answered question that he was distracted even though it was shown his reactions were similar if not better then a F1 driver and he had no hope..

blobert wrote: »
    Based on all my experiences, I would be of the opinion that bus driving is better suited to women than men.

I spend quite a bit of time in the south of France where, from experience the split seems to be 50/50 male female or maybe more women than men. I have no idea if this is an initiative/policy, or just in that part of the world it's not seen as a male dominated job.

I have had nothing but extremely positive experiences there with female drivers there. They tend to be more friendly than their male counterparts (and a decent part of the job is dealing with customers) and I believe all the statistics suggest that women are statistically safer (note safer, not better) drivers than men. Therefore, it would seem a no brainer to me that it's a job better suited to women.

I've had numerous negative experiences with Dublin Bus drivers over the years, both as a customer and a cyclist/driver, all with male drivers. A lot of these involve drivers driving dangerously/aggressively when I'm cycling. And I've had many experiences of bus drivers driving recklessly/too fast when the bus was empty (I used to live in an area where a lot of empty busses would pass through). While its generalising a little, I do think that sort of slightly "macho" driving is far more likely to occur with male drivers.

So overall, having had numerous positive experiences with female drivers over the years and literally all my negative experiences being with male drivers, in my opinion, I'd see no reason why it doesn't make sense to have, at least a better gender mix, if not a female majority of bus drivers.

I have noticed a higher proportion of female bus drivers in other countries but never so much that they have been equal to or even outnumbered male drivers but still a bigger proportion than Dublin Bus. Same with Go-Ahead they seem to have a higher proportion of female drivers than DB but still not in the majority there.

I'd say I've actually more dealings with female drivers travelling for nearly a year on Go-Ahead buses than I've had all my life travelling on DB buses. My dealings with Go-Ahead and DB drivers both male and female have apart from a few bad apples have been mostly positive.

Most drivers are either friendly or tolerable as mostly when you get on a bus nowadays you state your destination to the drivers or scan your leap card without the driver saying much but I have expierenced more friendly drivers than unfriendly ones.

It's only natural that one would expierence more unfriendly male than female drivers as most drivers are male so there would a higher proportion of unfriendly male drivers than unfriendly female ones. But I have encountered unfriendly female staff in customer facing roles which have a higher proportion of female staff.

Yes but none while actually driving.....

I'll be straight up I've had so much happen while driving it's unreal....

I've had the steering wheel grabbed twice.

I've been spat in the face numerous times, punched on a few occasions, items thrown at me such as ice in the snow, stones, oranges etc and pellets etc....all over the years of course not just one day but we should be allowed drive and have no other involvement....

Sure a work colleague had a collision where foreign student ran out in front of him without warning and ended up with millions as the judge said as the driver had been asked a question by a passenger and no interaction for 6 seconds after driver answered question that he was distracted even though it was shown his reactions were similar if not better then a F1 driver and he had no hope..

That's true alright even in other countries you can still speak to the driver just the driver can fully blank you and pretend your not there if they want. I thought you were more referring to taking fares and Leap payments and people not wanting to pay their fare or incidents with wheelchairs and buggies etc.

I hope your colleague kept his job but it must have been a very traumatic expierence for him and for the passengers. Although in this regard train drivers would experience more traumatic events as I'd say there are much more suicides by people throwing themselves in front of trains than buses but I could be wrong as I'm sure people have thrown themselves off some of the pedestrian bridges on the likes N11 dual carriageway onto oncoming buses.

That's true alright even in other countries you can still speak to the driver just the driver can fully blank you and pretend your not there if they want. I thought you were more referring to taking fares and Leap payments and people not wanting to pay their fare or incidents with wheelchairs and buggies etc.

I hope your colleague kept his job but it must have been a very traumatic expierence for him and for the passengers. Although in this regard train drivers would experience more traumatic events as I'd say there are much more suicides by people throwing themselves in front of trains than buses but I could be wrong as I'm sure people have thrown themselves off some of the pedestrian bridges on the likes N11 dual carriageway onto oncoming buses.

I believe he is ok....

Obviously very difficult I've had similar.

I ve had 3 actual jumpers where they purposely jumped out thats the ones I'm aware of....

One was not to long back on N11 where the late bus was running and a jumper done their thing which of course is sad for them , family and anyone else involved after....

I'm just sick of all the bull that goes along with it all

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

This is just a sub marking site of AIG's, its aimed at woman like 25plus.ie is aimed at a particular age group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

dvdman1 wrote: »
    This is just a sub marking site of AIG's, its aimed at woman like 25plus.ie is aimed at a particular age group.

How come they don't have one specifically for men?? Because they would be hounded out of existence.

How come they don't have one specifically for men?? Because they would be hounded out of existence.

My point being no law has been broken...its purely marketing..heres aig men section

https://www.aig.ie/personal/car-insurance/car-insurance-for-men

• Advertisement

dvdman1 wrote: »
    My point being no law has been broken...its purely marketing..heres aig men section

vs

https://www.its4women.ie/womens-insurance-ireland.aspx

My point exactly. You'd never get an insurance website called its4men.ie. There would be absolute uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

vs

https://www.its4women.ie/womens-insurance-ireland.aspx

My point exactly. You'd never get an insurance website called its4men.ie. There would be absolute uproar.

are you getting all pissy over a domain name?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It could have as much to do with it being much more expensive drivers due to insuring a higher risk pool. Not that I’m in favor of separating the sexes.

Overheal wrote: »
    It could have as much to do with it being much more expensive drivers due to insuring a higher risk pool. Not that I’m in favor of separating the sexes.

But men and women are equal.

CIE companies self insure so they are not taking out premiums

• Registered Users Posts: 83,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

But men and women are equal.

Equal status under the law yes*. Enough data out there to prove though that, for instance, that among a fixed population (let’s say 6 million Irish) male drivers are responsible for more claims than female drivers.

*well they should, but afaik under Irish law they are not equals.

Equal status under the law yes*. Enough data out there to prove though that, for instance, that among a fixed population (let’s say 6 million Irish) male drivers are responsible for more claims than female drivers.

But there is a difference surely between run of the mill people with a car licence and professional bus drivers who are held to higher standards such with higher training standards, CPCs and random drug and alcohol testing as part of internal company policy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Government gave too much heed to professional (often tax payer funded) lobby groups with left wing agendas despite much complaint from the rest of society. These complaints were ignored of course as said lefties labelled the complainers as sexist and misogynists in an effort to discredit them.... and it worked.

Now these people are in positions of power within governments and are obsessed with legislating for equality of outcome (among other things) and are without question having more and more of their way.

https://twitter.com/TheTodayShow/status/1166818348035796992

More journeys are done by men hence more involvment in accidents....Per km driven male drivers are safer statistically. The idea that females are safer is a myth.

Its all about making money with these companies, make out men are higher risk and they make more money out of men

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Right this is the thing if it were done the women would lose there absolute SH1t with it.....

I have a problem with it more so as it's good for them but not for us attitude....

I take your point you wouldn't mind but be honest if it were a male open day ah come along you'll love it day the women and media and lgbtqghdbvtevbdhhvb.... Would lose their SH1TE too.

There have been efforts to try and recruit more male teachers for many years now.
    There is even an entire section of the Department trying to tackle the lower achievement levels of some males. Nobody is losing any **** (other than the professionally aggrieved who will moan about anything, much like this thread).

Advertisement