Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2020

Options
  • 07-08-2019 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭

Anyone else putting in a GFA application for next year?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Definitely, although for some reason I was thinking that I'd done the entry months ago so thanks for the reminder.

Last years thread for the 2019 event can be found here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057866120

Approximately the same entry requirements apply as previously, although the ballots closed ages ago so anyone looking for those entries has missed the boat. For GFA you still need to have run the qualifying time for your age and gender between 1st Jan 2018 and 31st July 2019. New for this year is that if you deferred your GFA entry from 2018 then you still need to have run the time within those dates to get a place for 2020, it doesn't just carry over automatically.

The number of places remains the same as they introduced last year with 3000 male and 3000 female GFA places up for grabs. I saw nothing last year to suggest that anyone who applied with a GFA time missed out in 2019, so I think it unlikely anyone would miss out for 2020 either.

The link to apply for GFA should appear on this page a bit later today:
    https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Applying for GFA this year, for the proof of address what do folks around here use as bills are not in my name??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Applying for GFA this year, for the proof of address what do folks around here use as bills are not in my name??

The shop of photo :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

That's mine gone in. Wouldn't go through on the mobile so had to use a laptop. Have 2 mins to spare so hopefully things will pan out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just got an email back from them that my application has been confirmed, meaning that time and residency has been approved. Not yet a confirmation of a place, but I have 8 minutes in hand so should be fine.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Just got an email back from them that my application has been confirmed, meaning that time and residency has been approved. Not yet a confirmation of a place, but I have 8 minutes in hand so should be fine.

That was quick!......nothing on my end yet. I'm sure my time and, ahem, residency will be fine. Hopefully.....
    Edit: came through this afternoon. Now to wait...

Applied last night, no confirmation as yet, fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

My proof of *ahem* residence was rejected; used a work bill..

I need to figure out something over the weekend :)

My proof of *ahem* residence was rejected; used a work bill..

I need to figure out something over the weekend :)
    Were you waiting long for a reply? Still no confirmation email, getting paranoid that I entered the email address wrong or something

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭browne_rob5

Were you waiting long for a reply? Still no confirmation email, getting paranoid that I entered the email address wrong or something

You should have got an email straight after you submitted your info noting your successful application.

I applied at 10am this morning and no word on verification as of yet.

• Advertisement

You should have got an email straight after you submitted your info noting your successful application.

I applied at 10am this morning and no word on verification as of yet.
    Did you get an email saying submission successful Rob? Wondering if I should stick my application in again just in case or will this screw up the 1st application - thinking (overthinking) is hard :'(!!

Did you get an email saying submission successful Rob? Wondering if I should stick my application in again just in case or will this screw up the 1st application - thinking (overthinking) is hard :'(!!

As in, you should have gotten an instant email saying that they've recieved your application. If you didn't recieve that then it may not have gone through.

healy1835 wrote: »
    As in, you should have gotten an instant email saying that they've recieved your application. If you didn't recieve that then it may not have gone through.
    Ah thanks, will apply again - not sure what happened

Yes you should have got an email that started with the following;

"Thank you for applying for a 2020 Virgin Money London Marathon Good for Age entry. This email is confirmation that your application has been successfully received and our team will be checking your application and contact you by Monday 19 August with either of the below outcomes: "

Maybe check your spam/junk and if its not there give them a bell. Helpdesk is 0207 902 0200.

"Thank you for applying for a 2020 Virgin Money London Marathon Good for Age entry. This email is confirmation that your application has been successfully received and our team will be checking your application and contact you by Monday 19 August with either of the below outcomes: "

Maybe check your spam/junk and if its not there give them a bell. Helpdesk is 0207 902 0200.
    You should then get another email then saying that they have confirmed your time as well. Those emails were taking about a day to get now I think, but it did say on the GFA page that if you've not received it by a certain time on Monday 19th (check that) that you should phone them straight away as the deadline for getting the times confirmed is later that day.

Got it sorted, entered again and got the email immediately, now the waiting game

I just got verified so its taking 2 working days to hear back now. I have over 8 minutes to spare so going to go ahead and book flights and hotel!

I just got verified so its taking 2 working days to hear back now. I have over 8 minutes to spare so going to go ahead and book flights and hotel!

Will see about booking hotel soonish as well, just as soon as we figure out how long to make the weekend.

Thought we'd be restricted in what dates we can take off for next year due to the added cost of getting fined by the school for days off, apparently we won't get fined until the kid is five though which is a bonus. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Looking for advice 2013

Hi what did you use to verify your residency?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Hi what did you use to verify your residency?

They will accept a utility bill or bank statement showing a UK address

• Advertisement

Strange one, got confirmation email saying all was good but then got another email which said:
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Hi [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Your application for a 2020 Virgin Money London Marathon Good for Age entry has not met the qualifying conditions for the following reason(s):[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]None[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Please email helpdesk@londonmarathonevents.co.uk as soon as possible to rectify the issue(s).[/font]

Has anyone else ever got that before - strange that no reason is given

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Strange one, got confirmation email saying all was good but then got another email which said:
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Your application for a 2020 Virgin Money London Marathon Good for Age entry has not met the qualifying conditions for the following reason(s):[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Please email helpdesk@londonmarathonevents.co.uk as soon as possible to rectify the issue(s).[/font]

No, just email them ASAP.

Only thing I can think of is they couldn't verify your time or your utility bill didn't satisfy what they wanted for proof of residency?

Good look.

Limpy wrote: »
    No, just email them ASAP.

Only thing I can think of is they couldn't verify your time or your utility bill didn't satisfy what they wanted for proof of residency?

Good look.

Yeah tried to ring but closed until Monday at 9am! Sent an email so will just have to wait I suppose, strange that reason given was "none" so can't be an issue with time or bill as that's all been verified.

Thanks for all the advise

Yeah tried to ring but closed until Monday at 9am! Sent an email so will just have to wait I suppose, strange that reason given was "none" so can't be an issue with time or bill as that's all been verified.

Thanks for all the advise

If it was because your time didn't make the cut they probably wouldn't ask you to email so it's probably not that either. I mean like in Boston you get your qualification time but you will only get in if x amount are not faster then you.

Had you possibly submitted the form twice?

robinph wrote: »
    Had you possibly submitted the form twice?

Could be that, I never received confirmation first time so resent and got receipt immediately, hopefully that's all

Will the fast good for age section be merged with the good for age championships?

It's great having the red section as a starting point. Small que for toilets and plenty of space to chill out.

So will people hear by next Thursday or on Thursday? Just so I can get my email refreshing game on point :)

Limpy wrote: »
    Will the fast good for age section be merged with the good for age championships?

It's great having the red section as a starting point. Small que for toilets and plenty of space to chill out.
    Nope, but I think you have a couple of things confused there.

Fast Good For Age is a separate zone at the front of the Red start, but this year they coloured it Yellow to stop charity runners trying to get in the wrong gate. If you have a GFA time of about sub 3:05 you'll normally get in that start.

Other GFA runners were previously on the Green start with the minor celebs, but this year I think some got mixed in with both the Green and Blue starts.

Championship is for UKA registered club runners only and is the pens directly behind the elites on the Blue start. You need a sub 2:45 (male) or sub 3:15 (female) for that start.

• Advertisement

And I'm out!;). address verification was not upheld due to "authenticity of the proof of residency" :D. Until next year!! 

Advertisement