Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2020

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Scullion 2:09:49. NR!
    Correction: I guess Treacy's 2:09:15 from Boston is still NR eligible, so Scullion misses by 34 seconds, to a favourable course.

Funny athletics Ireland only have John treacys Olympic marathon time as the Irish record.

http://www.tilastopaja.org/db/toplist.php?list=topirlallt&Ind=0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Fantastic run.

Just as well he didn’t retire after that night on the beer :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

He just teeeted that if he retires at 4am tomorrow to ignore it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

He just teeeted that if he retires at 4am tomorrow to ignore it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

On Kipchoges Facebook page he said he had issues with his ear been blocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Scullion 2:09:49. NR!
    Correction: I guess Treacy's 2:09:15 from Boston is still NR eligible, so Scullion misses by 34 seconds, to a favourable course.

Is Boston really a favourable course though? My understanding is that unless the wind is blowing in the correct direction it's not a quick course at all relative to London and Berlin.

Scullion certainly had favourable footwear to Treacy in any case.

Great run by him today, but he'll need to break Treacy's time by 2 minutes for many to recognise it as a true Irish record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Is Boston really a favourable course though? My understanding is that unless the wind is blowing in the correct direction it's not a quick course at all relative to London and Berlin.

Scullion certainly had favourable footwear to Treacy in any case.

Great run by him today, but he'll need to break Treacy's time by 2 minutes for many to recognise it as a true Irish record.

Net downhill and point to point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Net downhill and point to point.
    Tell that to anyone who raced it in 2018 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Boston is not fast most years, but even when it is it is not eligible for official records due to the net elevation drop and the start and finish being too far from each other.

You're wrong about that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Boston is not fast most years, but even when it is it is not eligible for official records due to the net elevation drop and the start and finish being too far from each other.

You're wrong about that one.

Am I wrong that the shoes are giving 2 minutes at least? The times we have been seeing would suggest I'm not wrong.

Boston isn't eligible for World records but a national federation can have different rules. Seems like AAI count Treacy's Boston run as the NR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Is Boston really a favourable course though?
    The AAI lists both of Treacy's fastest marathons as the national record, with Boston listed as an assisted record, alongside his 2:11 from Tokyo.

It was one of the hardest marathons I ever ran (heat), but its still a net downhill point to point. Treacy probably would have run 2:07 with today's shoes, nutrition and training, but that's progress for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Am I wrong that the shoes are giving 2 minutes at least? The times we have been seeing would suggest I'm not wrong.

Boston isn't eligible for World records but a national federation can have different rules. Seems like AAI count Treacy's Boston run as the NR.

You're right about the 2 minutes advantage but you're wrong about the true Irish record. There are no asterisks for shoes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Wasn't hopeful of the app working. Not having been able to test how it would operate beforehand was a minor problem as I tried to sync the starting of the app, my Garmin and the bloke setting us off at 10 second intervals.

Pressed the button on the app, started the Garmin, got the chip in my number scanned, and started running... But then just as about to put the phone in my belt noticed it was asking for permission to use some phone service, gave that permission, then it said something else in the app that I couldn't read in the rain, then I think it asked again do you want to start running now. Got that all sorted, checked that it was actually starting the timer and put the phone away... Then realised from looking at Garmin I was already running about 50 seconds a mile quicker than intended so spent the next mile trying to calm things down and get back to the intended pace.

Other than that during the "race" all went well. Was a small flurry of people overtaking on the first lap who were only doing the 5 mile event, other than that saw pretty much nobody the whole way round. Except for the winner who flew past while I still had 2 to go. Did pass a few more people in the last part of the last lap with lapping some and catching a few who were the just minutes behind in the final results.

With a mile to go I checked the distance on the app and it was about 0.3 of a mile out of sync with my Garmin, so on crossing the line I kept running across the soggy cow field until I could get the phone out to check it had completed. The extra distance on the course compared to the Garmin meant it all worked out fine though and got the required distance.

Most importantly though I got the required time to be able to claim my GFA place back, and would even just have snuck under the time for claiming a non deferred GFA place for next year.

Happy day, but have a total of 4 black toe nails now. Small price to pay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭positron

Congratulations robinph, fair play scoring GFA time on an self-supported run like this.

I too got around the distance yesterday, in my typical glacial pace, but still.. I ran three laps of my usual route starting and ending at home, which basically meant I had just two water/food stops, which was certainly not great. But on the plus side I was able to change shoes and socks once for dry ones. I still got some blisters with all that rain, darn you storm Alex. Glad to have it done though, fingers crossed weather is better than this for virtual Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

https://nos.nl/artikel/2351031-verstopt-oor-kipchoge-stelt-manager-hermens-voor-raadsel-heel-heel-vreemd.html

Article is in Dutch but it’s Kipchoge’s coach Jos Herman’s take on yesterday’s race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FlorenceDude

It will be the most strange Marathon ever..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Took a while to catch up on the coverage after getting back yesterday. Thought it was good, but as expected there was a huge amount of flitting back to the virtual runners. Yes that was needed to keep people entertained, but there was a opportunity to show us a lot more stats on exactly who was doing what, and how far and fast everyone was going and finishing every lap, or every 100m.

Would have been a great opportunity to fully overload on stats with some sensors on the side of the road all the way round to give us by the second data on everyone.

Was some great races in every event, but they shouldn't have skipped away from the wheelchairs during the sprint laps, and them putting the sprint sign up a lap early for the women was a balls up, although made the race. Also liked seeing the actual chair tyre explode for one of them, was a big explosion and you'd normally only see then stopped afterwards.

The running races were both excellent. Not sure how much that was down to the weather, the lack of other races, the lapped course. Would be interesting if we would get to see some races like that with crowds watching on the side again some day on a short lapped course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Trampas

robinph wrote: »
    Took a while to catch up on the coverage after getting back yesterday. Thought it was good, but as expected there was a huge amount of flitting back to the virtual runners. Yes that was needed to keep people entertained, but there was a opportunity to show us a lot more stats on exactly who was doing what, and how far and fast everyone was going and finishing every lap, or every 100m.

Would have been a great opportunity to fully overload on stats with some sensors on the side of the road all the way round to give us by the second data on everyone.

Was some great races in every event, but they shouldn't have skipped away from the wheelchairs during the sprint laps, and them putting the sprint sign up a lap early for the women was a balls up, although made the race. Also liked seeing the actual chair tyre explode for one of them, was a big explosion and you'd normally only see then stopped afterwards.

The running races were both excellent. Not sure how much that was down to the weather, the lack of other races, the lapped course. Would be interesting if we would get to see some races like that with crowds watching on the side again some day on a short lapped course.

Thankfully red button was uninterrupted coverage of races.

Could have done split screen on bbc 1/2 when doing the virtual side but no. Dropped all coverage even when race was getting interesting in men’s

Advertisement