Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chartered Surveyor or Snagger

Options
  • 07-08-2019 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi,

Im trying to find someone to do some snagging in South Dublin and it seems that the safest approach is to get a chartered surveyor. I've found some snaggers via googling that are cheaper but Im a little wary.

Its for a new build, so Im thinking perhaps a Level 1 check by a chartered surveyor is the best option value wise?

Cheers
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

ruaneg wrote: »
    Hi,

Im trying to find someone to do some snagging in South Dublin and it seems that the safest approach is to get a chartered surveyor. I've found some snaggers via googling that are cheaper but Im a little wary.

Its for a new build, so Im thinking perhaps a Level 1 check by a chartered surveyor is the best option value wise?

Cheers
    Gary

Also get the scheme map sent to the engineer from your solicitor and have him do a boundary check also with the property. Esp if getting an engineer as they will be qualified to confirm it’s all fine

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dolbhad wrote: »
    Also get the scheme map sent to the engineer from your solicitor and have him do a boundary check also with the property. Esp if getting an engineer as they will be qualified to confirm it’s all fine

Be quite unusual to do a boundary check as part of a snag list if buying in Dublin from an estate being built by a developer.

kceire wrote: »
    Be quite unusual to do a boundary check as part of a snag list if buying in Dublin from an estate being built by a developer.

I don’t think it’s unusual. I’ve friends who have bought new builds in Dublin and did boundary checks. For a new build we were told we had to do a boundary check with snag list in Cork. I don’t think it’s included as part of the cost for snagging but additional cost. I’ve had friends with new builds have issues with the map in that the boundaries on ground didn’t match the scheme map so scheme map had to be amended before closing. They were being left short land so unless they map was amended, it would have been possessory title of part of the garden. Apparently this is a common issue for corner houses in estates. It seems the builders engineer certifies compliance with planning and building regulations by usually doesn’t actually confirm the boundaries match the map.

Also we had viewed two second hand houses previously in estates with boundary issues as it wasn’t common during the boom for purchasers to do the check.

I don’t think it’s unusual. I’ve friends who have bought new builds in Dublin and did boundary checks. For a new build we were told we had to do a boundary check with snag list in Cork. I don’t think it’s included as part of the cost for snagging but additional cost. I’ve had friends with new builds have issues with the map in that the boundaries on ground didn’t match the scheme map so scheme map had to be amended before closing. They were being left short land so unless they map was amended, it would have been possessory title of part of the garden. Apparently this is a common issue for corner houses in estates. It seems the builders engineer certifies compliance with planning and building regulations by usually doesn’t actually confirm the boundaries match the map.

Also we had viewed two second hand houses previously in estates with boundary issues as it wasn’t common during the boom for purchasers to do the check.

Haven’t personally seen it in Dublin yet.
    When your buying in a scheme, your buying what you see. All that matters is the site matches the land registry map. The scheme map may have changed to suit land layout, Planning conditions etc so this is irrelevant but I won’t go against what your saying.

If the OP needs boundary checks then they will need a Surveyor, a snagged won’t surfice and expect a cost of €1k plus in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruaneg

Any opinions on whether to get a professional snagger vs chartered building surveyor for a new build?

Seems most snaggers advertised online are not chartered surveyors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Any opinions on whether to get a professional snagger vs chartered building surveyor for a new build?

Seems most snaggers advertised online are not chartered surveyors.

Snagger in my view. There's no need for a Surveyor on a new build.

In my opinion

Haven’t personally seen it in Dublin yet.
    When your buying in a scheme, your buying what you see. All that matters is the site matches the land registry map. The scheme map may have changed to suit land layout, Planning conditions etc so this is irrelevant but I won’t go against what your saying.

If the OP needs boundary checks then they will need a Surveyor, a snagged won’t surfice and expect a cost of €1k plus in my opinion.

The builders engineer doesn’t actually certify the boundaries match the scheme map - usually just says he the house is built within the folio the builder owns. Which is why our solicitor told us first day map will have to checked and we incur the cost.

So I have found (especially in Cork) that the scheme map doesn’t actually match what you have in front of you. When you think about it, you do a boundary check for a second hand house which was once a new build house. And I’ve seen second hand houses with issues as that’s why I assume there is an issue. The scheme map wasn’t checked. So you either end up with extra land that you legally don’t own so you have to pay thousands in legal fees for convert the possessory title. Or you could have extra land which you have no access to but if there is an accident your sued. I’ve seen this in court once. The registered boundaries included part of the footpath. Person fell and sued the council and the owner of the foot path - who didn’t realise they owned part of foot path.

99% of time, boundaries will be fine. But a house is the most expensive thing you’ll buy. Pay extra get a surveyor and have it all checked off and signed off before builder gets the money. Because once builder gets the money, you have no comeback and it’s then your problem (at your expense) to fix. Whereas you spot any issues, you can put pressure on builder to fix.

Maybe I just don’t trust builders ....😊

The builders engineer doesn’t actually certify the boundaries match the scheme map - usually just says he the house is built within the folio the builder owns. Which is why our solicitor told us first day map will have to checked and we incur the cost.

So I have found (especially in Cork) that the scheme map doesn’t actually match what you have in front of you. When you think about it, you do a boundary check for a second hand house which was once a new build house. And I’ve seen second hand houses with issues as that’s why I assume there is an issue. The scheme map wasn’t checked. So you either end up with extra land that you legally don’t own so you have to pay thousands in legal fees for convert the possessory title. Or you could have extra land which you have no access to but if there is an accident your sued. I’ve seen this in court once. The registered boundaries included part of the footpath. Person fell and sued the council and the owner of the foot path - who didn’t realise they owned part of foot path.

99% of time, boundaries will be fine. But a house is the most expensive thing you’ll buy. Pay extra get a surveyor and have it all checked off and signed off before builder gets the money. Because once builder gets the money, you have no comeback and it’s then your problem (at your expense) to fix. Whereas you spot any issues, you can put pressure on builder to fix.

Maybe I just don’t trust builders ....��

All of the above is technically
    Possible I suppose but for a new build snag, none of that is checked.

Ive snagged many a homes and carried out many a pre purchase surveys and boundary checks but never both as part of a new build snag.

Dublin based chartered building engineer and registered building Surveyor.

All of the above is technically
    Possible I suppose but for a new build snag, none of that is checked.

Ive snagged many a homes and carried out many a pre purchase surveys and boundary checks but never both as part of a new build snag.

Dublin based chartered building engineer and registered building Surveyor.

That’s interesting to note. Maybe it’s a Cork thing. I’m a solicitor and it’s standard practice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

If it's a new build with the currents regs etc there will be very little wrong with a house. A snagger will pick up any minor issues which are generally cosmetic

• Advertisement

That’s interesting to note. Maybe it’s a Cork thing. I’m a solicitor and it’s standard practice here.

As part of a snag?
    A snag list would not be sent through the solicitors offices here.

mcbobbyb wrote: »
    If it's a new build with the currents regs etc there will be very little wrong with a house. A snagger will pick up any minor issues which are generally cosmetic

+1
    Many don’t realise the snag process is a cosmetic survey.
    Generally if you pick up on building regulation issues you highlight them, but a snag is not a check on boundaries, Planning, site layout relative to granted permissions and AI submissions if applicable.

This can be done of course but expect a snag price of €500 to jump to €1500 plus from my experience.

The snag can be done by anyone technically. Chippy, painter, builder or any good DIY person can be competent enough for a snag.

As part of a snag?
    A snag list would not be sent through the solicitors offices here.

I meant it’s standard practice in Cork for solicitors to insist on both the snag and boundary check. Snag list doesn’t go through solicitors office but boundary confirmation does. I should add I don’t work at all in conveyance! I’ve my own solicitor who deals with our conveyance but like everyone else, I asked a lot of questions to get an idea of what’s involved. And when I priced solicitors in Cork, it kept coming up for new build. Snag and boundary check is required. But you’d be charged obviously extra for the boundary check.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruaneg

Ive being recommended a service that does a full 'structural building regulations review' for about 400e.
    'A structural building regulations review will report on issues that will adversely affect the value of the property.'

It looks pretty comprehensive, but it doesnt include snagging. So would need to get somebody else to do that for the superficial issues, or I can get a family member who is a retired builder.

Ive being recommended a service that does a full 'structural building regulations review' for about 400e.
    'A structural building regulations review will report on issues that will adversely affect the value of the property.'

It looks pretty comprehensive, but it doesnt include snagging. So would need to get somebody else to do that for the superficial issues, or I can get a family member who is a retired builder.

They cannot do a structural inspection without opening up works.
    How will the inspect foundations, rising walls, roof members and associated bearings? How will they check insulation and air tightness continuity?

These will all be covered by the developers Assigned Certifier u see the Building Control amendment Regulations (BCAR).

All they can do is a visual inspection that a good snagger can do anyway except you won’t get a snag with this service either.

Advertisement