Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concrete base for garden shed

• 07-08-2019 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi does anyone know how much concrete i will need to make a base for a garden shed approx 8ft square? I'm thinking of making it 15mm deep approx but not sure if this will be strong enough.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi does anyone know how much concrete i will need to make a base for a garden shed approx 8ft square? I'm thinking of making it 15mm deep approx but not sure if this will be strong enough.

15mm deep.......

Better off using concrete blocks.

Unless you meant 150mm.......

• Registered Users Posts: 20 betterbuilt

kceire wrote: »
    15mm deep.......

Better off using concrete blocks.

Unless you meant 150mm.......

Thanks a million yes meant 150mm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

2.4*2.4*0.150= c 1 cubic meter

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Thanks a million yes meant 150mm!

Should be plenty thick, I've done a couple like that and built off the slab. I put in some reinforcing mesh as well - cheap, easy and adds more strength.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Should be plenty thick, I've done a couple like that and built off the slab. I put in some reinforcing mesh as well - cheap, easy and adds more strength.

I assumed the op was just placing a timber shed on top of this base.

Maybe the OP can confirm, is this a block shed to be built?
    Some form of foundation required?

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for all the replies, really helpful. It's just for a lightweight metal shed.

Thanks a million for all the replies, really helpful. It's just for a lightweight metal shed.

Then 150mm will be more than enough. Consider that people who put in no base use strategically placed 100mm solid blocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

If you're using ready mix, the min delivery will be 1m3 anyway... so looks like it works out well for you!

Doop wrote: »
    If you're using ready mix, the min delivery will be 1m3 anyway... so looks like it works out well for you!

I got half a metre delivered yesterday to do the second pour on a shed I had installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Doop wrote: »

It depends on the company and the area, OP will pay more for such a small load.

150mm is more than enough, have built cattlesheds on 100mm of readymix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

One the shed is installed put down plastic sheeting, fill with concrete up to the level of the base frame - usually around 4cm, and level. This will prevent rain running from the base into the shed. Its a good idea to then seal the floor with floor paint. You will need to check the surface is sound (I had to wire brush mine to remove the laitance *) and then use a sealer before painting.

* More info here: http://www.concrete.org.uk/fingertips-nuggets.asp?cmd=display&id=679

Thanks so much to everyone who's responded and apologies for the long delay thanking you all. Actually it's for a metal shed sorry I never specified

Advertisement