Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overlimit Fees

• 07-08-2019 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭

I have an Avantcard Credit Card and I was under my credit limit at billing date, they have applied the fees and the balance is now over the limit and they then applied an over limit fee.

Does anyone know if they are allowed do this? I kept within my limit and would have expected this over limit fee only to apply if I used the card and went over the limit, seems like sharp practice as I have no idea what the fees will be as it depends on how you use the card per month.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Call the provider and ask them to explain their charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

As far as I know it's how all credit companies operate. It's up to the user to keep their balance below the limit, including any interest which may be added.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Shemale wrote: »
    I have an Avantcard Credit Card and I was under my credit limit at billing date, they have applied the fees and the balance is now over the limit and they then applied an over limit fee.

Does anyone know if they are allowed do this? I kept within my limit and would have expected this over limit fee only to apply if I used the card and went over the limit, seems like sharp practice as I have no idea what the fees will be as it depends on how you use the card per month.

Have you read the terms and conditions of your contract... It's a bit rich complaining of their sharp practice, if you have not bothered to read your contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Have you read the terms and conditions of your contract... It's a bit rich complaining of their sharp practice, if you have not bothered to read your contract.

Its a bit rich being judgemental without knowing the answer to your question ....

Thanks for your help :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's most likely in the T&Cs. It has happened to me and the solution is not to hit the limit when they apply the fees. Fees are applied just before you get your new bill so pay some off before that.

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    As far as I know it's how all credit companies operate. It's up to the user to keep their balance below the limit, including any interest which may be added.

Ok thanks, their T&C states:

"Over limit fee – charged and applied once on any monthly statement if, and when, you are over your credit limit at any time during that statement period; "

But they dont have a billing period on their statements.

CPCC states, over limit fee is:

"You are charged this each time you have gone over the agreed credit limit, and your provider may refuse further transactions on your card."

On this, I havent gone over it, they pushed me over it within the bill.

Also they dont charge interest if you clear you bill in 56(I think) days but you dont get a chance to get under your limit when they push you over it

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's most likely in the T&Cs. It has happened to me and the solution is not to hit the limit when they apply the fees. Fees are applied just before you get your new bill so pay some off before that.

They are arsewipes. Previously I got a statement on 25th of month, I paid more than minimum a day or two later and in the following bill they hit me with a non payment fee. I rang to query and was told that as I paid it in the same month they counted it against that month ie two payments in one month and none in the next one even though payment was due 21 days after 25th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They are arsewipes. Previously I got a statement on 25th of month, I paid more than minimum a day or two later and in the following bill they hit me with a non payment fee. I rang to query and was told that as I paid it in the same month they counted it against that month ie two payments in one month and none in the next one even though payment was due 21 days after 25th.
    Are you registered with them online? You can track it all there and you can see how your payments affect your balance. It's also handy to see how close you are to the limit and knock a bit off so you don't get dinged with charges.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Are you registered with them online? You can track it all there and you can see how your payments affect your balance. It's also handy to see how close you are to the limit and knock a bit off so you don't get dinged with charges.

Cheers yeah, I had a look before using it to near its limit didnt think the interest would trigger over limit fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Cheers yeah, I had a look before using it to near its limit didnt think the interest would trigger over limit fees.

There's a cut off point before the bill date. It usually tells you on the bill that you need to have paid by a certain date. Anything after that will count as a payment in the next month.

To get interest free 56 (I think) days, you have to have started with a zero balance coming into the new month, and the previous balance will need have to have been cleared before the cut off too. If you then buy something on the first day of the new billing cycle, this will appear on your next statement. You will then have 20+ days to pay it before paying interest.

The CC companies make their money as the majority of people don't clear their card and are paying interest every month.

Do you have a large balance? How long does your statement say it'll take to pay it off if you only pay the minimum? I'll get on my high horse and say you really should try and clear your CC debt. The interest rates are very high.

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    There's a cut off point before the bill date. It usually tells you on the bill that you need to have paid by a certain date. Anything after that will count as a payment in the next month.

To get interest free 56 (I think) days, you have to have started with a zero balance coming into the new month, and the previous balance will need have to have been cleared before the cut off too. If you then buy something on the first day of the new billing cycle, this will appear on your next statement. You will then have 20+ days to pay it before paying interest.

The CC companies make their money as the majority of people don't clear their card and are paying interest every month.

Do you have a large balance? How long does your statement say it'll take to pay it off if you only pay the minimum? I'll get on my high horse and say you really should try and clear your CC debt. The interest rates are very high.

The bill is fairly light on info.

Its only 1k, this has irked me so applied for 0% balance transfer with Ulster and going to get rid of it.

I don’t mean to give you a hard time, but this is 100% your own fault.
    Don’t go so close to the limit on any card or go too low on any current account.

Bills / interest etc are set up to come out on certain dates.

Tough luck if you don’t have the funds to pay.

I don’t mean to give you a hard time, but this is 100% your own fault.
    Don’t go so close to the limit on any card or go too low on any current account.

Bills / interest etc are set up to come out on certain dates.

Tough luck if you don’t have the funds to pay.

I only asked a question to which I couldnt determine the answer. I have had credit cards before and if their charges put me over the limit I dont recall being charged over limit fees.

Quick question, you arent from London by any chance? This isnt a set up, just curious

Jim2007 wrote: »

You’re some man for the “terms and conditions” :rolleyes:

Advertisement