Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No claims bonus

Options
  • 07-08-2019 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭

I’m on the search for a car. I currently drive a van for work and have a full no claims bonus on it with 12 years clean Irish licence.
    The problem is, I can’t find any insurer to accept my commercial no claims bonus and transfer it to my car. None will give a reason either. It’s extremely frustrating that I’m being treated like a first time driver, and priced like one too!!!
    Does anybody know any insurer that can help me??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

Did you try a broker?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

treascon wrote: »
    Did you try a broker?

I did. All with the same responses. Insurance companies are a proper shower of.....

That’s unusual. I worked in a brokers and would have come across this situation and would have got private insurance for someone based on a commercial ncb. They obviously have an issue with something. What’s your occupation and what will you do work wise if giving up the van?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Are you giving up your van or will you have a car and van at the same time?

Most companies will accept a van NCB for a car policy so long as you are cancelling the van policy. Very few will mirror the bonus if you are keeping both.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

As above,are you keeping the van ?. If not will your current insurer not transfer the NBC to a car?. Have you named driving experience on a partners/spouses car ?. If so you could probably use that .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Yes I’m keeping the van. The cheapest quote I got was 870. Seems extortionate for a 40 year old man with 12 years clean licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

So the van has nothing to do with it.
    You need your van ncb for your van.

Same argument as someone trying to own 2 or 3 cars.

870 seems pretty good then.
    Sure I'm near 40 and my insurance always over 600 with full ncb

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Yes I’m keeping the van. The cheapest quote I got was 870. Seems extortionate for a 40 year old man with 12 years clean licence.

You didn’t make that clear in your opening post. There’s your answer, you’re keeping the van. In the circumstances €870 isn’t a bad quote. Don’t really understand what your issue is. You made it sound like you couldn’t get a quote

Advertisement