Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please close this thread

Options
  • 07-08-2019 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

Please close the "Ladies Day Winner" thread on After Hours
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058003803
    It is a mess of re-reg's, trolls and videos of nudity. I have reported it 3 times now, I know Mods aren't here 24/7 and can't see everything but can someone close it please. A Cmod? Admin? Anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Also can anything be done about the massive amount of troll accounts so far this Summer? I know secondary schools being closed is part of it so maybe whoever signs up has to show proof they are over a certain age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd like to think that boards.ie admins know that their website is being gradually invaded by trolls, right wing nut jobs and so called incels and are 'making plans for Nigel' but at the moment they are sleep at the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Do away with people being able to close accounts, and re reg within days. Can't keep up with who is genuine, and who is trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

A sensible debate about immigration I've no issue with, but targeting a young woman in medical training (obviously a hard-working and productive member of society - certainly spending her time more constructively than trawling the net for things to jump to conclusions about) by saying she's a young woman acting the eejit because of intoxication (no evidence it's due to illegal substances) when there's no evidence these two women are one and the same, other than their skin colour, and faux concern about her feeling embarrassed... all to have a go at "the blacks" and to tell people they're being white knights for simply questioning this nonsense... boggles the mind.

And the pretence that people would be ok with such "mistaken" identity if she were white. Eh... no they wouldn't.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi all,

Thanks for reporting the thread and respective posts. The thread has since been unapproved and reviewed with sanctions issued.

With regards to closing of accounts, this was brought in initially to comply with our own data protection laws. GDPR also enables closures of accounts as we delete personal data such as a signup email address (and users require an email address to utilise Boards' services).

Implementing hurdles at signup would impact legitimate users as well as those who only wish to troll (although the latter are often more willing to push through obstacles). It is best to continue to report posts and problematic users and then disengage from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Help desk as this is a specific issue, rather than Feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Is there no way to limit the creation of threads to users with a certain post count coupled with a time period?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Is there no way to limit the creation of threads to users with a certain post count coupled with a time period?

We tried that with Politics Cafe, but people did not like the access system

Equally trying to apply such a rule site-wide would probably destroy many of the smaller forums

It may be there is a technical way of doing it, but there has been little appetite when this has been raised previously, and it would require some development investment which I suspect may not be readily available

In this case the thread was dealt with within a couple of hours or so and the starter is sitebanned. I would add though that on the first page alone we had "contributors" with around 100k posts on the site between them, and there's a chance someone else would have started a thread somewhere on the site (and not necessarily in AH) if this one had not been posted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement