Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Alone remake

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Bad enough that they remade the Lion King into a live action movie, but now they're going to remake Home Alone? Why can't they leave things alone and create some original content?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Well Jennifer Gannon will be pleased at least if they go ahead with an all female cast.

Prob. not though, she’ll likely find something offensive about it....like if it’s set at Christmas time it’ll be offensive to those who don’t celebrate Christmas. Or if they do an all female black cast she’ll complain that the two burglars should have been white....or he term “Wet Bandits” is offensive to both water and actual outlaws.....etc. etc.

#LeaveHomeAloneAlone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Whatever about a female lead, let’s have two female crooks.
    melissa mccarthy and adam sandler in drag

melissa mccarthy and adam sandler in drag

Both white. And they need to get a real drag queen as it’ll be offensive to drag queens Jennifer Gannon. Ru Paul might work, ticks the black and drag boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Both white. And they need to get a real drag queen as it’ll be offensive to drag queens Jennifer Gannon. Ru Paul might work, ticks the black and drag boxes.

african american thieves of color? think again my friend

african american thieves of color? think again my friend

Only one was African American. They could be a mixed race drag queen lesbian couple. McCarthy is plus size too so another box ticked. But not lesbian in real life so more problems....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

For the love of jesus - the bad guys have to be heterosexual white males. You can't have a black woman and a muslim man breaking into the house. Could you imagine the headlines?!

It's two white straight men, and the child is a trans-gender mixed-race child with a made up name like Roulast so you can't pinpoint a gender at all. They also have a mixed race family that doesn't go on holiday (too much pollution by the planes) but instead get stuck in a snow storm somewhere (feckin' climate change) on the way home from donating clothes to one of the many, many homeless charities that sprung up in their area overnight.

Catching Roulast is a difficult task for the heinous disgusting white male thieves as the child, although technically Home Alone, has the support of the other 42 families that share their kitchen in their new government approved 'house sharing' apartment block that they apparently love. However, the Wifi has been turned off due to a network failure during the storm (feckin' climate change again!) so Roulast can't inform the other families on her floor.

The police have been alerted, but must wait for their Nissan Leaf to get to 35% charge to make the journey without having to stop, a tricky task in the snowy weather. Roulast has to fend off the would be thieves using a variety of carbon-neutral measures (no breaking christmas ornaments under their feet, that's needless waste!) to ensure his/her safety.

If you only see one movie this Christmas, make sure you don't miss out on Home Alone... Again.

For the love of jesus - the bad guys have to be heterosexual white males. You can't have a black woman and a muslim man breaking into the house. Could you imagine the headlines?!

It's two white straight men, and the child is a trans-gender mixed-race child with a made up name like Roulast so you can't pinpoint a gender at all. They also have a mixed race family that doesn't go on holiday (too much pollution by the planes) but instead get stuck in a snow storm somewhere (feckin' climate change) on the way home from donating clothes to one of the many, many homeless charities that sprung up in their area overnight.

Catching Roulast is a difficult task for the heinous disgusting white male thieves as the child, although technically Home Alone, has the support of the other 42 families that share their kitchen in their new government approved 'house sharing' apartment block that they apparently love. However, the Wifi has been turned off due to a network failure during the storm (feckin' climate change again!) so Roulast can't inform the other families on her floor.

The police have been alerted, but must wait for their Nissan Leaf to get to 35% charge to make the journey without having to stop, a tricky task in the snowy weather. Roulast has to fend off the would be thieves using a variety of carbon-neutral measures (no breaking christmas ornaments under their feet, that's needless waste!) to ensure his/her safety.

If you only see one movie this Christmas, make sure you don't miss out on Home Alone... Again.
    Errr that's nice..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Quick, tell everyone on twitter. It might explode and make sure you clap back at any attempts at skewering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Ipso wrote: »
    Quick, tell everyone on twitter. It might explode and make sure you clap back at any attempts at skewering.

Not for the first time on here I read a post and think "I know all those words but that sentence makes no sense"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Went to see the third one in 1997, bitterly disappointed, the original and the sequel were the best, like the Terminator franchise they should have stopped after the 2nd, now they are only damaging the brand. Why not do a remake of Hulk Hogan is Mr Nanny instead or Last Action Hero 2, both originals were crap and can only be improved on with a sequel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ok Boomer.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Ok Boomer.

I don't think you understand that phrase.

Also what age do you think I am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

It could work, if they did a very dark hard candy style remake, but more than likely it will be limp PC sanitised steaming pile.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Tony EH wrote: »
    Wow, McCulkin turned into a stable adult after being a child actor. There's a first.
    He wasn't doing well at all in his earlier adult years but got himself sorted out. Like Drew Barrymore.

Others don't turn it around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Disney are remaking Home Alone. Hopefully with a female lead. I hope it will be out in time for Xmas. I LOVE home alone and a female twist would add a sinister undercurrent that would suit the dark tone of more recent films.

I hope it's a disabled muslim trans black girl that is 7, but identifies as a baby!!
    That will be hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

How many movies has there been already, 5 or 6? Mostly terrible, I love the first movie but even the sequel I find dull for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Homelander wrote: »
    How many movies has there been already, 5 or 6? Mostly terrible, I love the first movie but even the sequel I find dull for the most part.

I lost interest after the 3rd, i didn't know there was a fifth or sixth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

English accents real-ish and fake are annoying

not sure the English kid is using his own accent either https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAqqpxq3xPY

Wow....I wasn't totally against the idea with the decent cast...but that looks truly awful...

Aisling Bea cannot do that accent whatever it is she is going for..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

she going for annoying stuck up English women ... she's already defending it https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a37945861/aisling-bea-home-alone-accent-backlash-response/ while skipping past the idea that she didn't achieve what she was going for

What an exercise in pointlessness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

god that looks terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was open to the idea. I wasn't expecting it to be great but the trailer looks truly woeful.

When I saw the trailer I knew they were going to receive slack over it.

I can just imagine annoying kids trying to imitate the kid in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

To be fair while the movie looks like a stinker Aisling Bea's accent would be the last thing I'd take issue with. It sounds completely fine for a somewhat exaggerated accent these sort of movies often demand...it didn't bother me at all and she's just doing what was asked of her.

The film itself though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

What in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Jaysus, that's the new Cats. Looks utterly atrocious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I have to agree, her accent wouldn't be the issue (or even an issue) I would have with it. The kid seems miscast from the trailer. How aged could the original be that they need to remake it?

Cheap movie, cheap cast, extra content for their platform. Glad I don't pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Absolutely horrendous looking.

Rubbish cast. Saw Aisling Bea and the kid and knew nah.

Why are they English? Diversity? Only accent Aisling Bea could semi manage cos she's a sh1t actress/comedian?

Love home alone. I remember old Marley freaking me out as a kid watching it. And of course Macaulay Culkin steals the show with Pesci and Stern playing their parts very well.

There's a real dark comedy/sinister element to home alone that makes it appealing to adults. The 2 lads trying to get in get exactly what any parent would like to see happen to 2 grown men trying to rob their house and harm their child - burnt, scalded, nails up their feet etc.

From the trailer this seems to be rubber balls to the forehead and eloborate trampoline accidents. I'll pass thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The kids dont want to watch the old timey black and white silent movies no more.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nope... No, nah...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

My 6 year old absolutely loves the 1st 2 Home Alone films…….

we watched them both again last weekend, and will probably do so again this weekend!!!!

loves them. And why wouldn’t he? They are classics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah but there's bound to be updated jokes in this for the kids. Buzz playing Fortnite and doesn't let Kevin play but Kevin plays it when he's home alone. The parents alarms don't go off because the kids were watching Youtube on the phones and drained the battery rather than the alarm clock thing. Kevin probably uses a toy Mjolnir or Cap's shield in one of his traps.

You kids are weird, according to the current film industry.

Watching decades old films, how quaint.

The Macallisters were flight shamed, cancelled Paris had Xmas at home instead, roll credits.

They'll really sh1t the bed when they hear his other favourite film is Twister!! and has been since he was 4.

Though on a positive note, because of the film Twister, one of his favourite bands is Deep Purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Everyone giving this film ****...its a disney plus exclusive...for kids, im pretty sure the kids will like it seems goofy and slapstick and i dont think the average under 12 year old will take offence to Aisling Bea in that role. Maybe im wrong

• Advertisement

I don't think people are taking offence to the film they are just saying it seems brutal.

Looks good to me.

Unsurprising that the thread is full of edgelords though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

I'll admit myself it does not look as good as the original i seen when i was a kid, but none of these re-makes will and people need to take that with a pinch of salt, its pointless to compare it to the original, its an absolute classic. People just seem to sh1t all over a remake because its not gonna be as good as the original, which is true in alot of cases but these remakes are aimed at young kids

Thats fine, and the kids will indeed love it, but it appears to be little more than filler for their platform, simply using the Home Alone franchise as a vehicle to push it...

They should have left it at Home Alone 1 & 2,, but they went ahead and made Home Alone 3 which was garbage (though my son also loves it). - its biggest star being a young Scarlet Johannsen.

The first 2 films were family movies the entire family could watch, but the latter 2 are just kids films.

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

They should have left it with American actors. I normally turn off any movie with an English accent. tv series is fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

and wasn't as bad as the angry men made it out to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't mind English accents. The issue is bad English accents. Maybe as a whole Bea's accent will be fine, but those small snippets in the trailer are jarring at the least. I don't think Aisling Bea is that big a draw that they needed to have her in it, and they could have easily gotten someone of equal level who either is English, could do a better accent, or just not have the character be English.

Or they could have swapped her and Ellie Kemper and have Aisling Bea alongside Rob Delaney.

Is that Nick Frost playing the kid?

"You're just old" - such an interesting hot take.

No way there could be anything further to it at all. Home Alone isn't just any film. It made a huge impact. It was memed about before there were memes. This is like a remake of Star Wars. It's just forced and pointless. It's not going to be anything but a watered down version of the original.

The stuff about kids not wanting to see old films. It's almost... as if... there are plenty of films still being made today. Home Alone is from 1990 - not a black and white silent movie. I'm sure kids still enjoy it, the way I enjoyed Willy Wonka (and thought a remake was lame).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

the movies that made us episode on home alone (netflix) is amazing, it's like a movie with plots and twists regarding the companies that made it, i hihly recommend

Advertisement