Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lengthening irons - Any experiences?

Options
  • 07-08-2019 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has tried to lengthen irons (about an inch). I've got it stuck in my head that my clubs are too small for me. Any experiences or is it a waste of time.

Issue started when playing with my nephew's clubs last week. He's a tall lad and his Titleist AP's are 1.5" longer than standard. I found them a joy to play with. I'm average height (5'11").

I'm going to get fitted next week so that might tell a tale.

Thankfully I've resisted being smutty about shaft extensions giving better performance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has tried to lengthen irons (about an inch). I've got it stuck in my head that my clubs are too small for me. Any experiences or is it a waste of time.

Issue started when playing with my nephew's clubs last week. He's a tall lad and his Titleist AP's are 1.5" longer than standard. I found them a joy to play with. I'm average height (5'11").

Thankfully I've resisted being smutty about shaft extensions giving better performance :)

It's better to get new shafts, extensions especially 1 inch and longer can break in the grip and injure the hand

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moycullen14

It's better to get new shafts, extensions especially 1 inch and longer can break in the grip and injure the hand

Yes, this is what I've heard. Wondering if anyone has experience of using longer shafts - however they came by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭e.r

Google wrist to floor measurements in golf, there are charts based on this measurement, and will give rough idea if you need longer than standard shafts. That would be the first thing to do.

Then if you need longer shafts, and Want to keep your existing irons go to the likes of Foregolf and get new shafts fitted in your club heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

e.r wrote: »
    Google wrist to floor measurements in golf, there are charts based on this measurement, and will give rough idea if you need longer than standard shafts. That would be the first thing to do.

Then if you need longer shafts, and Want to keep your existing irons go to the likes of Foregolf and get new shafts fitted in your club heads.

I was fitted for my clubs with an extra inch and 3/4s ( iirc). Find them very comfortable. All irons done except gap wedges which are standard and a different set. Feel much more comfortable with them rather than standard length. On my second set, my pro initially said that he thought they may be too long but after fitting he went with the same approach.

Recommend getting fitted. Well worth the time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I got all my irons and wedges adjusted a couple of months ago. I have a decent second hand set so I brought them to the guy in my club who does adjustments like this. He measured me up and watched me hit a few shots on trackman. I hit shots with my clubs and then with longer clubs. Looking at the pictures it was night and day, I was hunched over with my irons and losing a lot of distance. Anyway I got them lengthened 1.25 inches, grip size increased and lie adjusted up a few degrees. It took me a few weeks of playing and driving range visits to get used to them but everything is so much better now. Generally straighter and longer shots. I will almost definitely get custom fitted when buying new clubs in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭newport2

Hi,

I went and got fitted in Stackstown by Michael Kavanagh. I had an existing set of APs. He refitted them with new shafts for me after we went through the process, different spec and longer. If you were found your nephew's clubs great to play with, it should be worth the cost of getting them re-shafted properly

Advertisement