Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jnk883

Thanks for that. That is very helpful. Its perfect weather for a BBQ now 🙄

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

It's been a while, but the connector for standard propane is different to the patio gas connector. Patio gas is propane, just has a different (more common) connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I can use patio gas or the other cream ish calor gas on my bbq and patio heater, connection is identical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Just swinging back on this. Still haven't picked it up. It's mostly paid for though and I'll have it late this month at latest.

Have the BBQ area built and covered at this stage to accept it. Got a couple of stainless units from DoneDeal for cheap as hell. One even has a sink.

Still plenty of work to do but I'll be up and running by month end.

Quick edit:

They had one set up in the shop. Looks the business alright. It's a bit low down, I'd prefer it to be about 100mm taller, but that's easily fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

great to hear the outdoor kitchen is coming along well. I havent got my Blackstone yet either, will probably wait til next spring/early summer at this rate as I cant see myself out there cooking on it during cold winter nights. Still have to do some research as well on the compatability of the gas connections on it in the US compared to regulators/hoses here before I buy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Would love to see some snaps of the outdoor area. Thinking of one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭poker--addict

must be some deals coming rapidly now. Winter has arrived.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Not seeing many deals online, might be worth calling a place or two and see what they can do, been looking at a Sahara 4 burner myself and was in or around to 600 - 650 mark down to 575 now

For the record I wasn't being rude and ignoring this, we spoke over PM.

Right, so the plancha/girddle landed, happy enough with it, they're expensive but I have nothing to compare it against to be honest as I have no experience of 'normal' flat tops. It did come with a 'free' cover though, which is super handy.

Took about an hour for one person to put together, would probably take 30 mins for two as there are some awkward bits where having a third hand would help. The instructions are clear enough and the parts are well labelled, it didn't ship with the required screwdriver and spanner like the Traeger pellet grid did despite having the exact same style parts packaging. So you'll need a philips no2 and a 18mm spanner for the gas connection.

It's heavy. The box is approx 60kg with the griddle parts coming in at about 55kg, the heaviest part of which is of course the flat top griddle itself.

It doesn't ship with a regulator or tube and only takes propane, so I picked up a regulator from a nearby shop and 1m of tubing to hook everything up. It does ship with two different types of gas connector that you screw to the unit, one is the push type where you shove the tubing on to the connection and clamp it down with a jubilee clamp. The other is some threaded screw type that I haven't seen before (at a guess American or Euro). So if you're not comfortable attaching gas connections to regulators or fixing the adaptor to the unit itself then it's a call to someone in the know.

First burn in went well, left it on full tilt for 20mins to burn off the factory crap. it kicks out some serious heat.

Cooked some beef the next day to spare the kitchen from spatter and racket. Was great being able to dump the whole kilo on and not have to do it in batches. Clean up is a piece of cake. Used a bit of water to soften any fond, scraped it up into the pot. I scraped any oil left over into the hole and then wiped it down with a few sheets of kitchen paper. 2 mins tops.

The place is a bit of a building site at the moment so forgive the mess, I'm still finishing the shelter as I get time.

Oh an I was initially concerned that it was a bit low down, it's actually fine in use though and no need to bring it up at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

What do ye use as a degreaser or cleaner at the end of the season before storing the BBQ away ?

I have a Weber gas BBQ and would like to get a decent cleaner that actually works and not end up scraping and scrubbing for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Hi. Just did a job on the house, and want to finish it off with a bit of an outdoor cooking area. I've got an ooni pizza oven which I use a lot, so I will have a spot for that. I'm also thinking of getting a built in gas bbq. I've googled them a fair bit, and am surprised at the lack of options at what I would call a reasonable price. I'd like one with a hot plate area, so I'm looking at this one: https://outdoorliving.ie/1100e-4-burner-built-in-barbecue-only-beefeater.html Any advice on whether that would be a good/durable option, or if I should be looking at something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Have a Fervor Ranger 410, took the cover off for the first time since winter, mold everywhere 😔

I have the 4 burners on full whack at the moment, then will just use the brush to take most of it off. Is it worth taking everything apart and doing a deep clean before using it for the first time? What is the best way to clean the grills themselves? Hot soapy water?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I'm not saying this is good advice - but I usually just whack it on nice and high for 20/30 mins after the winter break. I give it a bit of a scrub with a wire brush where I can reach. I sometime lash in some oil or even light fluid to get a good flame going. I've also been known to spray in some antibacterial kitchen spray to get into the more difficult areas I can't reach.

So as I said, not necessarily good advice, but it seems to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I just get it good and hot, then brush well with a wire brush. No harm to oil (cooking oil) everything after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭wassie

The oils and fat in a BBQ make a great food source for mould. Sustained high heat will kill everything off so no concern there, so a good scrub is really all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Thanks a lot folks, blasted the 4 burners and a good brush and it came up fine. Do need to do a deep clean, but other than that its grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Needed new grills for my Sahara three burner (six years/seven seasons of heavy use plus living outdoors under a basic cover have caused some rust); but they've changed the design since - I checked with them to see if the parts from the newer design were still compatible. This is their modular grill setup where you can replace the centre section with various inserts. Still fits.

Ordered, delivered within ~3 working days, all working as expected. Don't normally get that level of service and parts support on a "cheaper" option (they aren't cheap but they're a lot cheaper than Weber for instance) - not a chance you're going to get parts for a six year old supermarket cheapo, nor is it likely a tubular steel frame would have survived.

I got five years/seasons out of my previous, absolutely supermarket cheapo, unit but it was in a ridiculously bad state at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

I'm in the market for a good reliable gas bbq, budget isn't huge around 500. Was looking at the Outback Tango 4 Burner Gas Bbq. Has anyone any advice please 😁

This lad

https://mybuildingsupplies.ie/shop/gardening-outdoors/bbq/outback-tango-4-burner-gas-bbq/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭poker--addict

It's down to 450 now...

😎

• Advertisement

I saw that but was just wondering if anyone had one and get their opinion on it.

I'm also looking at the sahara s350 gas barbecue if anyone has any opinions please 😁

This one

https://www.mdoshea.ie/sahara-s350-3-burner-gas-bbq

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Sahara I've had survive misuse and new parts is the X350 which is a good deal dearer, 500+shipping is the cheapest I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

I did a lot of searching last year for a bbq. I got this one in Argos.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4162494?clickPR=plp:10:22

Lots of bbqs last year and I'm looking forward to more this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have a mastercook 6 burner grill from Homestore, it's given me sterling service and with cast iron grates it really is a decent grill.

My maintenance is generally good but I've reached the point where my original grease tray has disintegrated. Anyone know where I might pick one up?

Since 2018 at least, it could be 2017, but at least 5 yrs.

I have had to do a few modifications, rust treatment and hammerite heat proof paint on the black parts.

Cheers banie 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Another fan of HS&M mastercook range here. Can’t believe it’s still standing. It was out uncovered all winter but I bet it will fire up first time when ever I start it up again. Likewise, the drip tray is the weakest part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭wassie

Pulled out my Sahara S350 this evening for the the first cook-off for the season. I wheel mine back into the garage afterwards so no issues with weathering.

Ive had it for 2 years now and super happy with it. Massive fan of the wooden side trays and trims - I applied a food safe mineral oil to these and it keeps them looking great. I also have a the griddle pan which goes in the circular insert which is great for doing mixed veg in without getting too greasy or burnt.

I liked the X350, but the fact it didn't have a flat griddle plate was a deal breaker for me. The side griddle plate on the S350 is perfect for sausages, onions etc. The X350 does have the wok burner, but I've never used one outdoors so dont feel like Im missing out - Im sure they are great for folks that do use them though.

• Advertisement

Homestore customer service have let me know that they don't carry spare parts for the Mastercook range.

I'll see if I find the right size tray elsewhere. Its that or bend some sheet metal and jerry rig something.

Advertisement