Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Options
1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Popped down to the local Woodies to check it out. It has a smaller cooking surface than a three burner but definitely big enough to cater for a family of four plus. They said the offer is valid in Woodies for the next two weeks. €100 for a decent Weber bbq, bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Ryath

Just a ribeye and fillet steak to test it out, very pleased with it up there with the best bargains I've got. Very convenient and clean, will get a smoker box or try with aluminium pouch.

Good sized cooking area but it is pretty portable as you can take the grill off the legs/base. With the 6kg Flowgas Gaslight cylinder it would make a good camping BBQ for a family.

Got a 11Kg cylinder, our kitchen is going to be out of action for a couple of weeks later in the summer so it's going to get a fair bit of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Available in Woodies Lucan. Bargain.

Aldi wagyu burgers, honestly best store bought burgers I've ever cooked. I'd actually only say mincing my own ribeye was better. Kimchi relish was very good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭nhg

Did they create much of a flare up?
    I cook them on a pan & drain off the fat as they cook, I was afraid to chance them on the bbq due to the amount of fat they lose during cooking

• Advertisement

They flared up a bit but not badly, was only a couple of table spoons of grease in the tray and a good bit of that would be from the rashers and some from the cheese. 3 mins each side on full blast. Put the cheese straight on after I turned them. Could have waited another minute or cut the cheese thicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

We just got a q2000 as well, first gas bbq I think I've ever owned so looking forward to trying it out!

Looking for some advice around the gas though. We have two 47kg propane tanks from a gas fire we removed a few years ago. These thanks should be full.

So if I wanted to use these with the q2000, can I just get something like this?

https://amzn.eu/d/03P6YCI2

Also thinking of maybe using quick release connectors on the gas line so we can swap out the weber and a pizza oven. Thinking about something like this, any opinions?

https://amzn.eu/d/07gVpreN

Thanks

To semi update my own post, still not sure if its a good idea or not, but that is not the right regulator for here:

This (probably) is:

https://shop.calorgas.ie/calor-essentials/gas-regulators/calor-37mbar-propane-screw-on-gas-regulator-2m-hose-clips-kit-roi.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭wassie

You would be best to avoid a no-name branded regulator off Amazon. Whilst regulators are relatively simple devices, they need to be decent quality in both their materials used and manuacturing process. If a regulator were to fail, the consequences could be catastrophic.

Calor sells Cavagna Group branded regulators (like the one you have linked) - an Italian brand and are one of the most commonly used regulators. Stick with them and you cant go wrong, especially as they arent overly expensive. It the same brand as weber supply.

The weber Q2000 User Guide does have note the following info on lpg gas cylinder connections.

• In the United Kingdom (same goes for Ireland), this appliance must be fitted with a regulator complying with BS 3016, having a nominal output of 37 millibars.
    • The length of hose must not exceed 1.5 metres.
    • Only a nationally approved low-pressure hose and regulator must be used.
    • Replacement pressure regulators and hose assemblies must be those specified by the outdoorcooking gas appliance manufacturer.

The guide also states "Only use cylinders with a minimum capacity of 2,5 kg and a maximum capacity of 13 kg". That being said I use a 34kg cylinder for my Sahara S350 - but I have the correct regulator, a quality hose fitting and check it regularly. A 47kg cylinder would give you a few seasons worth of regular barbequing I would think.

This is a great short video on how regulators work.

The main difference between our regulators to the one in the video are;

(i) the pressure relief vent is a just small hole rather than a screened opening and

(ii) ours do not have an adjustment screw (i.e. fixed pressure).

• Advertisement

Thank you @wassie , bought the one of calor today to give it a go, will hopefully get some weather to try it out at the weekend!

Good stuff. Tip - If you are going to use the same hose as supplied in the box, make sure its long enough to reach the cylinder valve before swapping regs over as its a fairly tall bottle. My guess is it should be ok.

Cheers, I was wondering myself if that would be a problem so I bought the one with 2m of hose. I know the manual says 1.5m but I can always cut it if needed. I think the distance up from the bbq to the tall canister probably isn't too much more than the distance down to the patio gas one, but I should have enough hose for whatever it is.

I also bought the best rated quick release fittings I could find on Amazon, the ones on calor website were out of stock. We'll see what they are like cause they would be useful if they work ok.

https://amzn.eu/d/0bYAxAbP

Cooked chicken thighs on it over the weekend using the patio gas cannister we have for the pizza oven. Very handy to light up and get started compared to charcoal. I definitely need a bit of practise with it though as it's completely different than cooking with the weber kettle where there is a direct and indirect side.

I could definitely see it being useful for quick mid-week BBQ, and also if we've a few people over the kettle got full pretty quickly so it will help take the pressure off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The size of the connection on UK bottles is different to Irish ones.

I'd be avoiding Amazon.

On connectors, can the 11kg bottle be used with the correct connector? We use bottle gas for cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

How to get the smokiness in Weber gas bbq ? Any accessories ?>

DIY (or buy) a smoke box and some wood chips I would think is the best bet

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grill-skills/mastering-smoke/smoker-setup/smoking-on-a-gas-grill/weber-34484.html

Yeah for the calor.ie regulator in the end. They didn't have the quick release in stock though.

My setup will eventually be

Regulator → female quick release → male quick release → bbq

And gave a different connection made up with male quick release → pizza oven

One of the issues with the big cannisters is you can't easily remove the regulator to store the BBQ. The quick release allows us to leave the regulator screwed on while disconnecting the device. Adding one to the pizza oven means we can swap them in and out fairly easily. We'll be shutting the valve off on the tank when not in use

This is all the theory, I guess we'll find out soon enough how it works out. Will definitely be doing a lot of checking for leaks!

Thats a great job - I've never seen those couplers before!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I've a question in relation to regulators.

I just bought the Q2000 and I wanted to swap the propane regulator for a butane one so I don't have to have two different gas bottles at home. The hob in the kitchen is run from a Butane bottle, I'd prefer to have two of the same type instead of having one of each.

I was planning to take the regulator off an old bbq and swap it with the one on the Q2000. Any reason I shouldn't do that?

No issue at all - provided its a decent regulator in good working order. Just test it for leaks using soapy water.

The user guide even has instructions on how to fit different regulators to the BBQ as its designed to run on LPG - which can be either propane or butane.

See my post here in another thread on this very topic: Link here

Advertisement