Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

When not in use, are you turning off the valve that connects to the cylinder?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AEH1984

Yeah, and removing the connection from the cylinder

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That seems like way too quickly all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

We have an old Gas BBQ which also took lava rock. We loved it, but it's time to replace.

All gas BBQ's i've been searching for don't have a grate above the gas burners to place lava rock on. I could easily fabricate a grate for this, but would prefer to just buy complete.

We're looking at a decent yoke (very descriptive!) with a budget of approx. €500

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Are you cooking a bison or something most nights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Are you cooking a bison or something most nights?

Nice fat cap on this guy

tenor.gif?itemid=9957547

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

That 3 weeks looks right. When I had a 11.34 kg butane gas heater on everyday for the winter, the fill never lasted longer than around 3 weeks.
    I just looked at my Portachef 3 burner consumption sticker yesterday, it says 470 gramms per hour, propane is 11 kgs, so it equals roughly to 22 days.
    Unless you increase your bean intake! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I wish those cylinders had a guage to tell you when it's nearly empty. Mine ran out this evening half way through cooking :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

jos28 wrote: »
    I wish those cylinders had a guage to tell you when it's nearly empty. Mine ran out this evening half way through cooking :mad:
    I think there is a new type of cylinder which is transparent and much lighter, spotted it on a site a few weeks ago. Not sure how expensive it is though.

• Advertisement

august12 wrote: »
    I think there is a new type of cylinder which is transparent and much lighter, spotted it on a site a few weeks ago. Not sure how expensive it is though.

Worth checking out alright, you're supposed to know by the weight :rolleyes: They are heavy cylinders to me either way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

I’ve one of these hooked up to the Weber at the moment - so all good

whippet wrote: »
    Are they much lighter than the steel cylinder? Seems to be a good network of stockists around the country, what's the difference in price???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Get a scales and do your math. ;)

padyjoe wrote: »
    Get a scales and do your math. ;)

Ah that's too much like hard work. I'm definitely checking out that cylinder that August mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Are they much lighter than the steel cylinder? Seems to be a good network of stockists around the country, what's the difference in price???

Incredibly light, they hold the same amount of propane so cost the same as the steel ones, you just have to pay the deposit (always seems to be non refundable). I lucked out when they first came out and traded 2 steel ones for 2 gaslight ones. Best and cheapest place in Dublin to get them refilled is Newlands Garden centre, 32 euro. Most places that claim they stock them never have them in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

I have 2 bottles, always keep 1 full, that way i can completely empty the bottle and not worry about running out

Incredibly light, they hold the same amount of propane so cost the same as the steel ones, you just have to pay the deposit (always seems to be non refundable). I lucked out when they first came out and traded 2 steel ones for 2 gaslight ones. Best and cheapest place in Dublin to get them refilled is Newlands Garden centre, 32 euro. Most places that claim they stock them never have them in stock.
    Well I'm in Limerick, so Dublin stockists are of no benefit to me, Applegreen seem to stock them, will try there first.
    I have one steel so could probably trade that when empty.

I presume I can still use the same regulator ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

whippet wrote: »

I assume they all have the standard Weber cylinder fitting on them? My bottle must nearly be empty so wondering if I can swap an old bottle for one of these new ones ?

Have a second bottle with the older fitting on it, anyone know of you can only swap like for like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I assume they all have the standard Weber cylinder fitting on them? My bottle must nearly be empty so wondering if I can swap an old bottle for one of these new ones ?

Have a second bottle with the older fitting on it, anyone know of you can only swap like for like?

I’ve swapped for different type and different brand they don’t seem to care so long as you have a cylinder

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

JohnCleary wrote: »
    We have an old Gas BBQ which also took lava rock. We loved it, but it's time to replace.

All gas BBQ's i've been searching for don't have a grate above the gas burners to place lava rock on. I could easily fabricate a grate for this, but would prefer to just buy complete.

We're looking at a decent yoke (very descriptive!) with a budget of approx. €500

Bumping this after merging into the main Gas BBQ thread - can anyone advise?

@ JohnCleary, I've merged it with this thread because it's more likely to be seen in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

I paid €33 for my one .. had to pay deposit as no cylinder to return .. but I found an old one at the back of the shed earlier so will get another gaslight to keep as a spare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Bumping this after merging into the main Gas BBQ thread - can anyone advise?

@ JohnCleary, I've merged it with this thread because it's more likely to be seen in here.

When homestore and more have their BBQs in, they sell grating that is used to replace the flavour difusers (or whatever they call them now) on their models, which you might be able to use on another BBQ.
    The homestore and more ones aren't half bad either, but they do have an issue of only the middle section of the cooking area getting very hot so you do need to get a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭maniac2003

The Nal wrote: »
    Also worth reading their google reviews for a chuckle.

Ordered tuesdsy and got it this morning, great service, easy enough assemble had first meal off it tonight, fantastic flavour I am delighted with it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Alkers wrote: »
    When homestore and more have their BBQs in, they sell grating that is used to replace the flavour difusers (or whatever they call them now) on their models, which you might be able to use on another BBQ.
    The homestore and more ones aren't half bad either, but they do have an issue of only the middle section of the cooking area getting very hot so you do need to get a big one.

Thanks, ended up getting the largest BBQ Homestore and More had in stock in the shop, it's a big un!

It doesn't have a grate between the cooking grate and burners (so gas only) but we'll live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Hi. Where do you guys buy your ribs, pork shoulders? I’m based in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Hi. Where do you guys buy your ribs, pork shoulders? I’m based in dublin.

Premium Butchers Ballymount is brilliant for bacon ribs, lamb cuts and beef burgers. I find them very reasonable for price.

I'm sure they stock pork cuts but have not tried yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Very newbie question here guys. I’ve just purchased a new 5 burner gas BBQ, would BBQ’d every summer in the past but maybe once or twice a summer.

I’ve seen that people recommend cleaning the BBQ at the start and end of the season before putting it away. Is that correct? Previously I would have cleaned it down the day after use which was a pain and always put me off using it again.

So am I right in thinking that the advise is just to give it a wipe down after use and fully clean at the end of the season or have I taken that up wrong.

Any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Very newbie question here guys. I’ve just purchased a new 5 burner gas BBQ, would BBQ’d every summer in the past but maybe once or twice a summer.

I’ve seen that people recommend cleaning the BBQ at the start and end of the season before putting it away. Is that correct? Previously I would have cleaned it down the day after use which was a pain and always put me off using it again.

So am I right in thinking that the advise is just to give it a wipe down after use and fully clean at the end of the season or have I taken that up wrong.

Any advice appreciated.

I generally just turn all the burners up and close the lid for for about ten minutes after use then turn them off and give the racks a quick scrape with a wire brush to shift off any heavy stuff. same when I turn it on without the scraping.

Advertisement