Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

salmocab wrote: »
    I generally just turn all the burners up and close the lid for for about ten minutes after use then turn them off and give the racks a quick scrape with a wire brush to shift off any heavy stuff. same when I turn it on without the scraping.

Dare I say Food Safety Advice, but the above seems to be the common method for cleaning the bbq. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

hey all,

So just for quickness, I just went with a cheap BBQ from Argos to last me a year or two (maybe more if Im lucky) and ill upgrade in the future.
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3451663/Trail/searchtext%3EBBQ.htm

Now, the regulator supplied is for Propane gas, however I have an almost empty butane cylinder at home. Is sticking with propane the best option, or should I switch regulator to butane?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Dare I say Food Safety Advice, but the above seems to be the common method for cleaning the bbq. :rolleyes:

Yeah I think it’s pretty standard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

What do you do to clean yours after use?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Thanks, ended up getting the largest BBQ Homestore and More had in stock in the shop, it's a big un!

It doesn't have a grate between the cooking grate and burners (so gas only) but we'll live with it.

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/barbecue-accessories/lava-rock-basket-for-classic-400-bbq/069912.html

I think this is what you need and then fill with lava rock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Pipmae

hey all,

So just for quickness, I just went with a cheap BBQ from Argos to last me a year or two (maybe more if Im lucky) and ill upgrade in the future.
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3451663/Trail/searchtext%3EBBQ.htm

Now, the regulator supplied is for Propane gas, however I have an almost empty butane cylinder at home. Is sticking with propane the best option, or should I switch regulator to butane?

Now I've no idea how accurate this is but I did read somewhere before that Propane is better as the BBQ gets hotter with it over Butane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

What do you do to clean yours after use?

Hot flames and a wire brush before and after a cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hot flames and a wire brush before and after a cook.

I also oil the bars before and after cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Experts,

What are opinions on this BBQ from Woodies Phoenix 3 Burner Bbq Black?

Are these just buy and go/use or you need additional accessories to use e.g. lava rocks?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Cooked a shoulder of lamb on the BBQ today. Indirect heat for 6 hours. Was amazing. Ran out of gas just as the meater told me to take it off the heat what luck is that!

Don't think I left it to rest for long enough but it still was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

afatbollix wrote: »
    Cooked a shoulder of lamb on the BBQ today. Indirect heat for 6 hours. Was amazing. Ran out of gas just as the meater told me to take it off the heat what luck is that!

Don't think I left it to rest for long enough but it still was amazing.

Dumbo question....what is a meater?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

https://meater.com/

Its a smart temp gauge.

514261.jpg

Told me I had 3 hours to go :)

514262.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

If you are looking for a good gas bbq, I noticed that Woodies are selling the Weber Q2000 for €299. I was tempted but the problem with the Q2000 is that there is no lid thermometer which is a pain.

However, when I looked back at the pile of boxes in the store, I noticed that some of the bbqs had a thermometer. Upon closer inspection, I noticed there were a few Weber Q2200 bbqs also there. The Q2200 is the same as the Q2000 but has a thermometer and battery ignition.

I decided to try my luck and was charged the same €299 for the Q2200 that they were charing for the Q2000. Had a quick look online and the Q2200 seems to be on sale a few places at €349 so at least a €50 saving. It's €449 on the Weber site.

This was in Woodies in Carrickmines btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AEH1984

AEH1984 wrote: »
    Hi guys, this might seem like a stupid question.

How long should a cylinder of propane last?

I have my bbq about 3 weeks, have used it everyday almost, the gas ran out tonight. I think there might be a leak somewhere or is it that Ive actually used all of the gas?

Will buy a new cylinder tomorrow and test for a leak.

FYI the staff in the fuel depot where I bought the cylinder said you should get roughly 120 burning hours from it.

Leak found and fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Experts,

What are opinions on this BBQ from Woodies Phoenix 3 Burner Bbq Black?

Are these just buy and go/use or you need additional accessories to use e.g. lava rocks?

Thanks in advance.

Anyone, any thoughts... Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Anyone, any thoughts... Thanks.

Quick clean, hook it up to the gas, and you'll be a grill master!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

You don't really need lava rocks if the burner quality is any good, they are more or less a thing of the past, just help reduce hot spots, but quality new bbq's shouldn't have hot spots

• Registered Users Posts: 68,686 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Never cooked them before, so as an experiment in whether I like them and whether I can actually cook them, I have St Louis ribs in the oven at ~140 to go for a final sear/not-actually-bark with BBQ sauce on the grill at the end.

I'm slightly worried I'm going to get something inedible and a hideously messy grill out of this, but its worth a go. Had them in the freezer after a sort-of mistake buy in the butcher.

Didn't get anywhere near falling-off-the-bones enough for me after two and a half hours in the oven and ~25mins on the grill. Still edible meat with some butchering, which I'm disgracefully crap at (my mothers parental line were butchers as far back as we can tell, except her father that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

We tried ribs yesterday. Massive failure. Very salty and chewy.
    Next time I'm gonna soak them in water to draw out the salt amd start in slow cooker for 5/6 hours before finishing on bbq

• Advertisement

...they shouldn't be salted to begin with? They're not a ham.

I didn't salt them. They just had a very salty taste off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Pipmae

heldel00 wrote: »

I found the same recently - I bought mine in Tesco. They were very salty.

That's my point, they shouldn't be salted to begin with. Its just a cut of meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

My missus ordered this gas BBQ today:

(Campingaz Adelaide Woody 3 Burner Gas BBQ).

I'm more of a Flintstones type of guy so I know nothing about gas BBQs. Just wondering..... do I need to get a special regulator and Campingaz cylinder or will it just hook up to my standard yellow Calor gas tank? Apologies if that's a stupid question. I'm just keen to assemble it and fire it up before the weekend while we have nice weather.

Thanks in advance.

ps If I ordered it myself I'd have asked this question at the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I'm definitely a novice at the BBQ, I'm trying to progress beyond doing chicken/burgers/steak etc.
    Can anyone recommend any good videos where I might learn something. I've had a look through Youtube but there's a lot of rubbish posted. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Need to skill up before the family can start to visit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭davegilly

We tried ribs yesterday. Massive failure. Very salty and chewy.
    Next time I'm gonna soak them in water to draw out the salt amd start in slow cooker for 5/6 hours before finishing on bbq

Pipmae wrote: »
    I found the same recently - I bought mine in Tesco. They were very salty.

Wrong ribs lads.

Sounds like you used Bacon Ribs that you find on the shelf in most supermarkets. These are brined in salt and need to be boiled to get rid of the salt.

What you are looking for are Pork Ribs. Not normally on the shelves in Ireland and you will have to ask for them in most butchers.

Yep you're right. They were bacon. Would the pork ribs be available in small local butchers or would i need to go bigger?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Yep you're right. They were bacon. Would the pork ribs be available in small local butchers or would i need to go bigger?

Ask your butcher. They should be able to get them for you and if they don't do them they'll know where you can get them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Ask your butcher. They should be able to get them for you and if they don't do them they'll know where you can get them.

I made the same mistake with bacon ribs before and cooked them for two days only to realise very quickly that they were completely inedible.

Id say it is one off the major pitfalls for new BBQ enthusiasts in Ireland.

Advertisement