Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

waste disposal in apartment complex

Options
  • 07-08-2019 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi Guys,

I live in an apartment complex in Galway city. For the last while we have been using Galway city bins, as they are the cheapest bins by far and they collect from us almost daily. Recently (4th of August) we got a letter from Bracken property care saying that we must change our bins to Barna Waste (a much more expensive alternative, that only collects once a week). They also said that they installed CCTV on our estate to help catch illegal dumping. Does anyone have any idea why we would be forced to change to Barna Waste? There was never any reason given in the letter. Also can they force us to only use Barna waste? I can't imagine it's illegal dumping if using any service that operates legally. It's also worth mentioning that I tried to call up the number attached to the letter but he is on leave till the 19th of August. By which time I will have been forced to buy new bins.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

Hi Diarmuid,
    Call a meeting of the other residents and approach the Management Company with a united front.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Gerianam wrote: »
    Hi Diarmuid,
    Call a meeting of the other residents and approach the Management Company with a united front.

The apartment owners are the Management Company, Bracken is just the agent appointed by the owners.

Op, are you the owner of the apartment and have you been to an AGM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 q0d53kbvsi6rgy

Hi Dav10, no I am not the owner. I am actually just subletting from another tenant for the past while. I have very little contact with the landlord, all we have is an IBAN that we send our rent to. I have very little knowledge on who runs the apartment complex. To the best of knowledge there is no AGM for the complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I have very little knowledge on who runs the apartment complex. To the best of knowledge there is no AGM for the complex.

If there is a management company then have AGMs

Hi Dav10, no I am not the owner. I am actually just subletting from another tenant for the past while. I have very little contact with the landlord, all we have is an IBAN that we send our rent to. I have very little knowledge on who runs the apartment complex. To the best of knowledge there is no AGM for the complex.

As Gatling posted, if there is a MC, there is an AGM, but only owners attend. If you contact your landlord, he/she will be able to inform you whether there is a requirement for unit owners to use a single refuse collector.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help. In the morning I'm planning on contacting the refuse companies followed by the landlord.

Thanks for the help. In the morning I'm planning on contacting the refuse companies followed by the landlord.

Other way around, if Landlord confirms there is no requirement from MC to use a particular refuse collector, then Bracken have no right to stop you choosing your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hi Guys,

I live in an apartment complex in Galway city. For the last while we have been using Galway city bins, as they are the cheapest bins by far and they collect from us almost daily. Recently (4th of August) we got a letter from Bracken property care saying that we must change our bins to Barna Waste (a much more expensive alternative, that only collects once a week). They also said that they installed CCTV on our estate to help catch illegal dumping. Does anyone have any idea why we would be forced to change to Barna Waste? There was never any reason given in the letter. Also can they force us to only use Barna waste? I can't imagine it's illegal dumping if using any service that operates legally. It's also worth mentioning that I tried to call up the number attached to the letter but he is on leave till the 19th of August. By which time I will have been forced to buy new bins.

Thanks.

Whack an email off to citizens advice, threshold, consumer affairs and your local tds also. Its's not as if rents are dear enough without being press ganged into further expensive services.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Whack an email off to citizens advice, threshold, consumer affairs and your local tds also. Its's not as if rents are dear enough without being press ganged into further expensive services.

Op isn’t the lease holder, he is subletting, not a lot of rights.

Fann Linn wrote: »

Exactly. We're forced to stay in this kip of a house because it's the only place we can find with half reasonable rent. Now they're strong arming us into paying more for bills. You can all call me a conspiracy theorist here but it sounds rather suspicious. It's as if there's something Bracken properties stands to gain from us switching to Barna waste.

• Advertisement

Exactly. We're forced to stay in this kip of a house because it's the only place we can find with half reasonable rent. Now they're strong arming us into paying more for bills. You can all call me a conspiracy theorist here but it sounds rather suspicious. It's as if there's something Bracken properties stands to gain from us switching to Barna waste.

Diarmuid in all likelihood Bracken does not have the authority to make that decision without direction from the MC/owners. A management agent which would gain payment “under the counter” from a service provider would be taking a huge risk of being fired and sued by the MC causing huge reputational damage. I don’t think you should make an allegation like that.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Diarmuid in all likelihood Bracken does not have the authority to make that decision without direction from the MC/owners. A management agent which would gain payment “under the counter” from a service provider would be taking a huge risk of being fired and sued by the MC causing huge reputational damage. I don’t think you should make an allegation like that.

Fair enough. I'll be in contact with the landlord tomorrow to have a more clear idea of the situation. I'll post any new information then. Thanks again for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Recently (4th of August) we got a letter from Bracken property care saying that we must change our bins to Barna Waste
    I tried to call up the number attached to the letter but he is on leave till the 19th of August
    Almost sounds like someone pulling a fast one! Throw the number into Google. Can be interesting what the results bring up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Contact CityBins and ask them if they are withdrawing services from your area.

As a city-centre domestic customer, Barna is my only choice of waste collectors.

Contact CityBins and ask them if they are withdrawing services from your area.

As a city-centre domestic customer, Barna is my only choice of waste collectors.

In the letter sent to us it states that "if you still have a supply of city bins you can use them up". Meaning that city City bins Co. is still providing service to our street. In my previous house Barna was the only option, altough much of the businesses on our street still use city bin Co. My issue with the letter is that giving a reason as to why you have to change service provider is the logical thing to do, it does not. I'll call the landlord tomorrow and city bin Co and hopefully have a better idea.

Advertisement