Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House rules for shared house with resident landlord

• 07-08-2019 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭

I will be taking in tenants in my home in the near future, first time ever, never lived in shared accomodation before.

Has anyone a template of house rules for this. I don't want to take in tenants and find that either I, or they, forgot to mention something that is going to annoy or cause a resentment, because it wasn't mentioned earlier.

Also, where a house and bathroom are shared with the landlord, for example, what does a landlord normally provide, toilet paper, soap, towells, toothpaste.

Likewise, in the kitchens, what about tea, coffee, milk, bread and butter, washing machine tabs, washing up liquid, all those sort of things.

Who puts out the bins? Is it normal to bring in a cleaner once or twice a week, I certainly don't want to be cleaning up after my tenants, and my idea of clean might be a totally different idea from theirs. (Getting curmudgeonly in my old age).

This is a completely new thing for me, and I suppose it's going to be stressful enough, so I'd like to get it right first time round.

Comments

Murt10 wrote: »
    I will be taking in tenants in my home in the near future, first time ever, never lived in shared accomodation before.

Has anyone a template of house rules for this. I don't want to take in tenants and find that either I, or they, forgot to mention something that is going to annoy or cause a resentment, because it wasn't mentioned earlier.

Just write a list of the main rules and put it up in the kitchen or on a hall notice Bord. You can point it out to the room renters (they aren’t tenants an never use that term in relation to them). You can also point at it if they breach a rule and you can tell them it’s out if they do it “x” number of times (you decide how many time = x). Don’t go writing out any sort of contract or getting them sign it, will do nothing but make them think they have more rights than they do.
    Also, where a house and bathroom are shared with the landlord, for example, what does a landlord normally provide, toilet paper, soap, towells, toothpaste.

Likewise, in the kitchens, what about tea, coffee, milk, bread and butter, washing machine tabs, washing up liquid, all those sort of things.

Provide nothing, everyone provides their own of everything on that list, the one slight exception being toilet paper which there is a number if ways to work it. You could provide it and change them (less your share), could have a kitty for it or could just make the rule that someone buys it when running out and that rotated around.
    Who puts out the bins? Is it normal to bring in a cleaner once or twice a week, I certainly don't want to be cleaning up after my tenants, and my idea of clean might be a totally different idea from theirs. (Getting curmudgeonly in my old age).

This is a completely new thing for me, and I suppose it's going to be stressful enough, so I'd like to get it right first time round.

Generally when the bin is full who ever feels it can fit more puts its out that’s always how it was worked in houses I lived it. Cleaner is a great idea, we would be lost without it (and that’s in our own home with no rooms let). Every second week should be fine, for this probably easier to just bump the rent slightly to cover it as you will have tight feckers who might refuse to pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

never lived in shared accomodation before
    "...absolute power corrupts absolutely..." :pac:
    tenants
    They're licensees. Referring to them in any manner will think they have rights.

Also, don't give them a lease.
    Cheapish toilet paper. Buy the good stuff for yourself :pac:
    washing machine tabs
    Consider having a limit of maybe once per week of washing machine per tenant, as you will have tenants who will use it nearly every day otherwise.
    Who puts out the bins?
    Most likely you, but try a rota. If someone is continually not pulling their weight, get rid.

Is it normal to bring in a cleaner once or twice a week
    Perhaps once every two weeks, to clean the common areas, but not pots & pans, as otherwise tenants may leave them in the sink.
    It's a learning experience. Never say that you can't/won't accept them; always say that you have other tenants coming. Never give a reason why you decided to pick someone else. Go with your gut, and once they leave, jot down any notes and feelings you have about them, to compare against other tenants.

Use a pre-paid sim just for this ad, so when you get tenants, you can throw the sim into a drawer; people will continue to ring it long after you get tenants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Using the washing machine once a week? Lol at that. There’ll be a post on in a few weeks with the OP complaining that his licensee has a bad case of BO, and what should they do about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

the_syco wrote: »
    "...

Consider having a limit of maybe once per week of washing machine per tenant, as you will have tenants who will use it nearly every day otherwise.

Christ almighty.

Don't take the piss yes. Once a week is bananas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

One of the main issues that arises is how to handle guests.
    Banning them altogether is draconian, but you need to decide how often you'd be comfortable with them having an overnight guest.

An agreed cutoff time for noise at night could also help to head off some disagreements down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Be sure to have a plan for getting rid of them. See my post history for a lesson on that one. Worked out well for me in the end but it was a stressful final week.

Browney7 wrote: »
    Christ almighty.

Don't take the piss yes. Once a week is bananas

In fairness while I wouldn’t make that rule, once a week if even is all a person renting a room would be doing washing imo. When I was renting a room I wouldn’t even be doing a wash once a week probably once every two weeks would be the norm. I brought my washing home too so was using the machine in the houses I rented even less than that which could also happen with the ops licensees.

Going by the people I lived with over my time sharing this wouldn’t be usual. I might see the machine go on twice a week between the 4 people in a houseshare.

How often do you expect a machine to be used? This is not a family home with mountains of stuff for washing and kids etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

In fairness while I wouldn’t make that rule, once a week if even is all a person renting a room would be doing washing imo. When I was renting a room I wouldn’t even be doing a wash once a week probably once every two weeks would be the norm. I brought my washing home too so was using the machine in the houses I rented even less than that which could also happen with the ops licensees.

Going by the people I lived with over my time sharing this wouldn’t be usual. I might see the machine go on twice a week between the 4 people in a houseshare.

How often do you expect a machine to be used? This is not a family home with mountains of stuff for washing and kids etc.

I would do 2 washes a week, just for me. It's not much when you think about it. One dark wash, one light colours - work clothes, casual clothes, towels, tea towels and bedcovers are not all going to fit in one machine :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Given the obscene amount of money one can charge for a room at the moment a cleaner is a nice touch.

I would do 2 washes a week, just for me. It's not much when you think about it. One dark wash, one light colours - work clothes, casual clothes, towels, tea towels and bedcovers are not all going to fit in one machine :confused:

That’s a lot more washing than I’d be doing in even two weeks.

Don’t really do serperate dark and light washes bar a very odd item, work and casual clothes are the same so 4 or 5 t-shirts/polo shirts for the week and jeans only get washed when they are dirty not weekly. I’d just throw in my bath towel and any t-towel that needed washing with the clothes in one wash and bed clothes don’t even get washed once a month never mind once a week. I wouldn’t have a full load of washing after week and would have no issue doing one every two weeks.

I’d wash a bit more often now as the machine would be going on more when you have your own place so I’d throw in a few bits with other washing but if I was waiting to get a full load I’d be more than a week.
    Given the obscene amount of money one can charge for a room at the moment a cleaner is a nice touch.

I’d be adding it to their rent tbh. It’s only about 50 a month (that’s what we pay for a cleaner, 25 every second week) so add on a few euro to the rent and you have it mostly covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Nox by name, nox by nature!

OP, don't make fussy rules like no cooking in the kitchen or only being allowed to use the washing machine at a time that suits you. But rules like:

If you cook, clean up after yourself straight away. Don't leave dishes and pots for the next person to clean up before they make their dinner.
    Overnight guests at the weekend only. Or if you work shifts, one day during the week
    Don't put your washing on and go out leaving it in the machine and blocking others from using it.
    Give the shower/bathroom a wipe after use. Keep the toliet clean.
    Use headphones after a certain time at night and early in the morning.
    No smoking inside.
    Friends can visit, but no inviting hoards of people back from the pub etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

clean up after yourself, don't leave food out, no VERY late night/early morning showers. everything else I think has been covered above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

How many tenants are you planning on bringing in OP?

You say you've never shared accommodation before, so if you suddenly bring in 3 people that will be a dramatic change.

Would starting off with one tenant for the first few months to ease yourself into it be a runner? If you then realise sharing your home isn't for you then you'd only have one person to try to get rid of.

I’d be limiting overnight guests as much as possible too, max once per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yeah, my bad; all my clothes are dark :pac:
    So yeah, two washes a week.

My point was not having a clothes wash every few days with not much in the machine, just because they wanted an item cleaned.

Maybe limit overnight guests to one or two nights per week, but not together, as otherwise you'll have their other halves coming over Friday, and not leaving until Sunday.

=-=

As you haven't lived in shared accommodation before, perhaps only start with two people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

No noise after 11pm, eg no loud music , no loud tv .if you have a visitor,
    they must leave before 11pm.
    its up to you ,are tenants allowed to watch tv in the front room,
    when you are gone out ?
    if you have internet do you give out the wifi password ?
    no smoking in kitchen or downstairs .
    one would hope that an adult over 20 would know how to
    clean the shower or bathroom when using it.
    Its up to you, is it a good idea to allow visitors to stay overnight .?
    only one visitor allowed, at a time.
    rooms must be kept tidy.
    no food can be stored in room,
    All food is in the kitchen or the fridge .
    clean kitchen after use.
    switch off appliance,s after use.
    especially oven/grill , cooker .
    maybe give them a list of rules,
    at the end , you,ll have a trial period of 2 weeks.
    rent must be paid on thursday or friday before 8pm every week.
    its not a hotel,
    i would not allow any guest after 11pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Go with asian students as they are reserved, quiet and respectful but also in their rooms a lot.

Go with asian students as they are reserved, quiet and respectful but also in their rooms a lot.

They can do a lot of questionable cooking though....lot of smells and strange concoctions.

Advertisement