Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Invoicing in a Foreign Currency

• 07-08-2019 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hello All,

I am a bit stumped at the moment... If I invoice an international customer, can I invoice them in their local currency or does it have to be the currency of the country where the business is located?

A few international companies have invoiced me in Euros, even though they are outside of the EU. However, a friend is adamant that it is wrong and the company should have invoiced me in their local currency.

In my mind, you can invoice in whichever currency you wish to use. But I'd like to double-check if I am wrong or not.

Thanks, Ryan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 onlinepal100

You can invoice in any currency you wish.

The 2 norms are the currency of the customer or the seller.

If you in voice in a currency which is not your operating currency (which is for this example EURO) then you bear the risk of any change in exchange rates.

If you invoice in the customer's currency the income will need to be exchanged for EURO on receipt, unless you maintain a currency account. You would only do this if you will have regular income and expenses in that currency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Can always raise the invoice in euros and other currency with fx rate stated on invoice. Client can pay in either currency then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Can always raise the invoice in euros and other currency with fx rate stated on invoice. Client can pay in either currency then

That makes it impossible for OP to manage FX risk. Client gets a free option to choose the more favourable outcome and OP receives nothing for granting the option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Perhaps But then again, loose a bit on FX but then get paid without having to chase because the client wants to take advantage of a favourable exchange rate.

Rule of thumb is always make it super easy to get paid so you dont have to chase

Best Regards

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rymass

Many thanks everyone. Just as I thought and it's great to get a second opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

dbran wrote: »
    Perhaps But then again, loose a bit on FX but then get paid without having to chase because the client wants to take advantage of a favourable exchange rate.

Rule of thumb is always make it super easy to get paid so you dont have to chase

Best Regards

dbran

In that case, invoice in the local currency of the customer. Provided embedded optionality does not make it simpler for the customer. Having a recognisable acceptable price does.

Advertisement