Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended rain jacket for daily commute

Options
  • 07-08-2019 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭

Okay as the title says.

I currently have a Altura rain jacket i got on bike to work scheme but its on its way out. I was looking at investing in a Gore jacket and although expensive it supossingly best for keeping you dry. Seen some online but any shop in Dublin sell them as seemingly sizes not the best and I'd like to try one on for size.

Or is it better to wait for the Aldi /Lidl bike specials to come around again.

I'm more interested in keeping dry but don't want spend mad money on it

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

My Gore Shakedry ranks up there with one of the single best things I have ever bought for cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Gore Shakedry. Brilliant piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Must read up about this Shake Dry thing. I have a rain smock I'm happy with, but it won't last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭G-Man

Arcteryx climbing jackets for me.. Goretex breathable etc. Massive pockets up high to stash anything needed for commuting worker..Long tail to keep that dry. Huge pit zips so you can wear this on warm days too or keep cycling when sun comes up.

Large hood which if you want fit's over helmet, massively makes it more snug on torrential days.

There are loads of models, but they are expensive with all those features.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Galibier Tourmalet. A brilliant piece of kit and not too expensive either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Some good recommendations here. Where's the best place to buy these?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... I was looking at investing in a Gore jacket and although expensive it supossingly best for keeping you dry...
    On the east coast it doesn't rain near as much as most people think so I wouldn't worry too much about the type of jacket. Also, unless you have an exceptionally long commute, I wouldn't worry about keeping dry. Just accept that you'll get wet occasionally. I'd say I use a rain jacket on a commute probably less than 10 times per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Agreed WA, I've got a 9km commute, wear a pair of shorts & a rugby jersey during the summer & a light climacool sweater on top & gloves in the winter, never once had a rain jacket & have commuted for the full year. I have a shower when I get home so I don't really mind getting a bit/(or very) wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I recently bought one of these from SpaCycles. Keeps you dry, no issue with breathability, takes 2 seconds to deploy but acts like a sail in strong winds...
    777-2135-full-pro_route_cape-5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Cheers for the replies.

Would be more for the winter weather than the rain and shopping early for it don't want to go over board on prices

What's best out of the below options?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/jackets-cycle?f=2632,4294967078,4294956322&_requestid=407325

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The sportful fiandre light norain is made with voodoo if you ask me. It gets soaked, and you feel wet while wearing it, take it off and youre dry though. More of a Spring/Autumn one though.

Galibier Mistral is good. Think they have a newer version now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/cycling-clothing/jackets-gilets/boardman-mens-reflective-removable-sleeve-cycling-jacket

That one looks like good value. No idea about any of the ones you linked sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/cycling-clothing/jackets-gilets/boardman-mens-reflective-removable-sleeve-cycling-jacket

That one looks like good value. No idea about any of the ones you linked sorry.

Cheers

Only in small and xxl unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Not a jacket query, but how do you keep your bottoms dry? I wore a rain jacket this morning and pullover trousers but my jeans still got wet in places.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Do you have mudguards? If not, get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

veganrun wrote: »
    Not a jacket query, but how do you keep your bottoms dry? I wore a rain jacket this morning and pullover trousers but my jeans still got wet in places.
    Full front and back mudguards will make the most difference to that. You can get pants that go over normal clothes but to be honest i'd worry about how much you would sweat in them. Changing at work probably best idea on the rainiest of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Yeah I have mudguards. It was the jeans around the front sort of in front on the pockets that got wet. Almost made me think the jacket was funnelling water down onto them somehow.

The pullover trousers have openings at the pockets but that's it. I only have a short distance to go (3km each way) but it's easy to get drenched if it's raining a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Okay as the title says.

I currently have a Altura rain jacket i got on bike to work scheme but its on its way out. I was looking at investing in a Gore jacket and although expensive it supossingly best for keeping you dry. Seen some online but any shop in Dublin sell them as seemingly sizes not the best and I'd like to try one on for size.

Cheers

I wouldn't be blasting big money at it. If you're using it for commuting in Dublin, get something bog standard. It doesn't rain enough to justify a massive outlay on a coat. I commute every day on the bike and i have a crappy slazenger golf jacket that does the job if it rains.

I dont get soaked all that often.

I'm from the west of ireland though, so my view on rain may be different to the lily livered folk of Dublin who shudder at a few occasional drops of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

veganrun wrote: »
    Yeah I have mudguards. It was the jeans around the front sort of in front on the pockets that got wet. Almost made me think the jacket was funnelling water down onto them somehow.

The pullover trousers have openings at the pockets but that's it. I only have a short distance to go (3km each way) but it's easy to get drenched if it's raining a lot.

You can wear heavier rain trousers, but the rain gets through to the area around your thighs eventually, I find. It's the bit that's most exposed to the rain, and, I think you're right, the jacket can channel the rain down onto your thighs.

Something like _cdaly showed a few posts back maybe is better from this point of view, as it might channel the water onto the ground around the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hanifanze

Okay as the title says.

Cheers

I have a shower when I get home so I don't really mind getting a bit/(or very) wet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement