Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep emergency

• 07-08-2019 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭

Just after reading this on facebook:
    It’s very common at various times of year for sheep to get stuck on their backs and not be able to get back up again. This may look amusing to some people or perhaps people just don’t understand what is actually happening, but it is often fatal if left.

Sheep can often get cast in this position, it causes them great distress as their bodies cannot function properly in this position. Just last week, while I was at work, I spotted one in the field next to the site that I was working on.

Basically if left in this position they will remain there. This may happen for several reasons, the sheep may be very fat, pregnant or the fleece maybe very long or wet. It may even be just a rut in the ground that they’ve landed in when lying down or may have been resting then tried to scratch an itch, but it certainly won't have got itself into that position on purpose. It’s like their centre of balance goes and it leads to a slow uncomfortable death.

Is this true or sheep****?

Have you done this before and would you recommend members of the public who have probably never gone near a sheep before to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

It's true usually when heavy in lamb or before shearing... Don't get what your asking though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Never heard of this before so was wondering was this a gag - seems a bit mad that they weren't designed better to handle this!!

I wouldn't mind helping out an animal if it's in distress but I wouldn't fancy getting a kick in the chops either.

Is there a safe method to turn the sheep right side up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Go till the side facing away from there feet give them a nudge or lift over. Depending how long they were like that they will be wobbly for a while after and probably fall a couple a times. There stomach shifts aswell so looks like there badly bloated on 1 side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Cheers Lambman!

Advertisement