Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitkat and the Irish police - accurate representation? lol

Options
  • 08-08-2019 8:35am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

There was some aggravation amongst the police force, years and years ago, when this ad was released;

Over the bank holiday weekend just gone, myself and my girlfriend went down to the riverside hotel for a drink, and after, because it was a fine afternoon, decided to take a walk down the doorly park walkway by the river.

When we came out of the riverside and were passing the small dock for boats, just across from where the walkway up to the school is - we heard this *splosh*.

I looked over the wall, to see one man - his eyeballs floating on alcohol - had actually pushed another man into the river.
    The man he pushed then climbed out - it was also apparent that he too was grotesquely intoxicated, so much so that he was slurring his words - and they proceeded to yell at one another.

We walked on, not wanting to draw their attention.

There was actually a group of them, men, I would say 35 to 45 years old or so, maybe more - all sat about drinking cans of beer, completely drunk, in a completely public place.

About ten meters further along, I looked over the wall again, and the man that was pushed into the water, was now physically engaged with the man who pushed him, yelling, cursing etc.
    One of them then yelled at another couple coming behind us, something to the effect of, "f**k off, this is my area, get the f**k outta here".

It might sound funny, but I was so disgusted I thought, best thing I can do is just call in this in, and get this trash cleaned up off the street.

So - I belled Sligo garda station to their front desk (not through the emergency number), was given some blasé response about they'd try and get a unit down there - the guy honestly sounded like he couldn't have cared less.

In good faith I left all the details, and assumed you know - they'd at least check it out.

An hour later, we're coming back from the walk - all the guys, still yelling, drunk, being disorderly and aggressive to passers by, loud and intimidating, not a police unit in sight.

On our way home, we happened to drive by the garda station.

Simply couldn't help but notice, there were I think, 4 garda just out front, one leaning against a garda car, the others stood facing him, all chatting and smiling, enjoying the sunshine - happy as clams, not a care in the world.

I hate to say this but the thought that entered my mind was - "you look like the type of guys that, if you weren't on duty, you'd probably be down by the river getting sh1tfaced in public" - because, honestly, that's just what they looked like.

Rednecks, no professionalism, no decorum - and not a whisper of concern for maintaining an image of integrity around the town they're stationed in.

I'm not saying every police force is perfect but, I spent a few weeks in Amsterdam last summer - Amsterdam, party central for Europe, it's like Disneyland for college students - and what I can tell you is, if there was even a glimpse of this type of public behavior, a group of men drunk in a public place, being aggressive to passers by, I can assure you the Dutch police wouldn't tolerate it for a hot minute.

I'm just saying, I know the Kitkat ad was meant to be a satire but, I mean, somtimes comedy can convey the most accurate truth - and as to that particular topic, I truly believe it is, in and of itself, an accurate characterization of what's keeping our cities and country clean (or not, as the case may be).

Does that sound overly cynical?

Am I just basing that on one less positive experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

What you have written is not surprising, what is surprising it's that you are surprised by it. All they are interested in doing if the only local rags are any indicator is bushting young fellas (schumbags in Guard parlance( for 5e of nnnnnndrrrruggs.

Obvious that area would be wino central when it was proposed, it breaches all the architectural rules for the design of public space.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

What you have written is not surprising, what is surprising it's that you are surprised by it. All they are interested in doing if the only local rags are any indicator is bushting young fellas (schumbags in Guard parlance( for 5e of nnnnnndrrrruggs.

Obvious that area would be wino central when it was proposed, it breaches all the architectural rules for the design of public space.

That latter sentence maybe true but, it's to me, probably one of the most beautiful spots in Sligo at the moment.

Having them drunkards hanging out there with impunity - it's like - a turd in the punchbowl.

I was musing on this the other day - and I must again draw the comparison to Amsterdam.

For ya'll that've been, you know that - it's an exceptionally beautiful city.

Part of what makes it so beautiful is, the canals.

Venice of the north.

Flowing water, bridges, lovely cobble stone and brick streets - and of course its welcoming and safe atmosphere.

The area around the garavogue, where the outdoor restaurants are, and for some ungodly reason there's a bookies there also but - it's like, "little Amsterdam".

It's like a cross street taken out of Amsterdam and transplanted into this little hick town in the west of Ireland.

Now I notice Sligo CoCo are doing more with their back streets and lanes, like outside the fast food restaurant at the top of the main street - and I hope that continues - cause it gives beautiful character to a spot that may otherwise look like a run down seclusion.

Point being - that boat dock by the riverside - I don't know about architectural violations but, it's simply gorgeous.

But that area, including the far side of the river, and sometimes they even climb over the bridge and sit on the embankments - long since known to be frequented by these drooling inbreeders.

Would it be too much to ask to include that area as part of a regular police beat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Yes, it would be too much. They'd have to park their cars and walk for more than 20 yards.

If they're not in the centre of town they arent going to be bothered about 2 winos dunking eachother in the river.

Drugs and cars with no tax are all they care about.

Yes, it would be too much. They'd have to park their cars and walk for more than 20 yards.

If they're not in the centre of town they arent going to be bothered about 2 winos dunking eachother in the river.

Drugs and cars with no tax are all they care about.

2?

Pffff.

Any time I've seen them, there's been at least 10 of those crawlers.

They must have a whatsapp group or something;

"We're getting sh1t faced by the river from 11 am today onwards - the usual spot".

2 I can handle.

2 I could laugh at.

But a large ass group like that?
    Requires police intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Kitkat and the Irish police - accurate representation? YES

They could actually go on along the river & keep an eye in the doorly park area as well at the same time...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057997149

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Point being - that boat dock by the riverside - I don't know about architectural violations but, it's simply gorgeous.

It's a very nice area but unfortunately it's beauty will be ruined when they build the new bridge across the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

marvin80 wrote: »
    It's a very nice area but unfortunately it's beauty will be ruined when they build the new bridge across the river.

Yup, the only really nice part of Sligo and they are obliged to cover it with the MAXIMUM amount of concrete possible.

2?

Pffff.

Any time I've seen them, there's been at least 10 of those crawlers.

They must have a whatsapp group or something;

"We're getting sh1t faced by the river from 11 am today onwards - the usual spot".

2 I can handle.

2 I could laugh at.

But a large ass group like that?
    Requires police intervention.

Must have gotten worse in the 3 years since I left there, I lived right near there and walked my dogs there every day, never saw a big group, only ever had one problem, 2 old winos with a pair of dogs off leash and they attacked my dog, one was a big black lab and was on top of mine biting him, the 2 guys did nothing but laugh I went and pulled the dog off he had my guy by the ear but no real damage done, but only for I have a lot of animal handling experience and knew how to safely break it up. And I have heard of roving packs of scrotes there harassing smaller kids etc.

The cops won't bother unless they think there's a drug bust to be had. They get gold stars and promotions for that, it's easy to prove, and a cannabis smoker isn't going to give you the hassle and violent reaction of a drunk. So if you want to get the cops down there tell them someone is sitting on a bench quietly smoking a spliff looking at the water.

I'm unsure of where exactly that new bridge is planned for?

They're hardly gonna put it directly beside the current foot bridge?

Although, if it goes any farther down - that'd be one hella of a bridge.

I'm unsure of where exactly that new bridge is planned for?

They're hardly gonna put it directly beside the current foot bridge?

Although, if it goes any farther down - that'd be one hella of a bridge.

Think its meant to be down at the entrance to Doorly Park, gonna ruin the nicest natural spot near town.

• Advertisement

Think its meant to be down at the entrance to Doorly Park, gonna ruin the nicest natural spot near town.

Around where that new temporary dock is I assume?
    Just across from the entrance to that big council house estate;

Well, provided they don't turn it into an industrial mecha/concrete jungle.

Just being an advocate of Dutch architecture, I'm typically in favour of melding human design with nature.

That area has become more popular since they built the kids park and football pitch etc but, even on the sunniest days, really you only get the occasional passer by there, some dude walking his dogs, or some chick out jogging etc.

I guess locals don't like change but, yeah - if it's designed well, I'll remain optimistic.

Even down at the lake where the other dock is, think there's a boat house there also I mean - sunny days, it should be a hot spot; swimming, sun bathing, working out, socializing etc.

But really it tends to be pretty quiet apart from the occasional kayak meeting or odd few people mincing out.

A little more access to the university side to town may not be the worst thing.

Advertisement