Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving birth abroad - maternity pay, registering birth

Options
  • 08-08-2019 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction as I'm very confused right now!

I am due my first child in late February.

I've been living here for almost 12 years, originally from the UK.
    I really wanted to go home for the birth so my Mum and Sister could be present and also spend most of my maternity leave at home.

However if this were to happen, I would need to register the birth in England.
    Would this affect my maternity pay here?

I am full time employed, my employer pays my full wages (minus SW) so I obviously don't want to lose out on this.

Does anyone have any insight into this?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Maternity pay is paid here from up to 20 weeks before due date, in most cases starting about 2 weeks before due date. Registering birth doesn't affect it although it may affect children's allowance. Maternity pay is paid in full, for example, in the case of a stillbirth. So the social welfare payment will be unaffected.
    If the baby is not registered here, then children's allowance would be affected until you did that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I don't see it affecting your maternity pay but I think it would affect your children's allowance payment.

It wouldn't be a big deal I don't think, just a bureaucratic nuisance through the child's life, with passports and forms and the like.Your child gets a PPSN when it is born and registered here, it may be a more cumbersome procedure if they are born in the UK (particularly if Brexit happens before the birth) and the PPSN feeds into getting children's allowance, GP card etc.Since you do have an option on it, could you give birth here then head to the UK for your leave?If you are likely to stay in Ireland for the child's life, then it might be easier for them to be born here.Although I don't think it is a massive problem by any means.

It might depend on Brexit and whether there's a deal and what's included in it. The rule is you can spend up to 6 weeks outside of the EU/EEA while still receiving maternity benefit from social welfare, more than that and you can be disqualified. You could try talking to Citizen's Information about it - I always find them very helpful.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think you'd be better off if you got your mother and sister over for the birth rather than you go over heavily pregnant, give birth in a different health care system etc then come home to a paperwork headache.

Brexit is a consideration in where your baby is born in terms of future citizenship so it's worth looking into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

My husband was born abroad to Irish parents. There's a bit of additional hassle in terms of paperwork on occasion. Plus going abroad in very late pregnancy to give birth in a different system wouldn't be for me. What if there's complications?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I think they only allow one birthing partner in most Irish hospitals, but many UK ones allow 2....is that it OP?
    I have a friend who arrived at an Irish hospital 35 weeks pregnant (she was living abroad) and said the staff got an awful fright when they realised they were seeing her for the first time in her pregnancy.I don't know if showing up at the door of a maternity hospital late in pregnancy is the best idea OP, you would also be creating the hassle of having to bring your records with you etc, the hospital would probably like to know of any issues in your pregnancy.You would also have to be ok with getting the ferry over as your doctor would have to sign you off for air travel in late pregnancy, and some doctors/airlines just won't allow for it.

Sorry.I know we sound like we are throwing lots of barriers up.None of them are insurmountable to be fair, but in the longterm, the maternity pay is the least of your issues really.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

Thanks all.
    My reasons for giving birth at home are quite personal and I don’t really want to go into it here.
    I am aware of the difficulties surrounding it but obviously health permitting/being able to travel, my decision is made.

I’ll give the citizens advice a call however I’ll probably be told that I’ll need to wait and see what happens with Brexit.

Thanks for all the replies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

Best of luck with it. I live abroad and am considering coming home to Ireland for the birth and so I know where you are coming from somewhat!

To note on travel arrangements - some of the ferry companies have more restrictive policies than airlines on traveling late in pregnancy so it is worth doing some research before you book. For airlines, Air France seem to be quite flexible and so Cityjet might be an option for you to the UK.

Advertisement