Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any 530e owners out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Maddic_Irl

SummerK wrote: »
    Congrats.

Click on the below link and enter UK Reg & mileage. In next page you will see if service pack is included or not.

Thanks SummerK, unfortunately no services packs.

FYI, Just checked to see if there were any open recalls on my VIN after reading an article on InsideEvs.com regarding a BMW recall for PHEVs. Apparently there is a risk of fire if battery is fully charged, may affect PHEVs built between Sept 18 and Jan 20 but does not specify which battery supplier CATL or Samsung SDI. (Sorry cannot post a link due to being a new user).

A recall showed up:

"There is an open technical enhancement on this vehicle. Please go here to find and contact your local retailer for more information. Enhancement code 0061430500"

According to a thread on Bimmerpost.com, this code has to do with the battery issue and/or to replace the charge cables. Again cannot post link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Maddic_Irl wrote: »
    A recall showed up:

"There is an open technical enhancement on this vehicle. Please go here to find and contact your local retailer for more information. Enhancement code 0061430500"

That's not a recall, it's an enhancement :pac:.

It's probably the supplied cable/EVSE & entailed putting a sticker on it until they eventually replace the plugs, during routine service most likely.

xbDJwOv.jpg

If it was the battery issue, it would pop up on the car's info screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Kramer wrote: »
    That's not a recall, it's an enhancement :pac:.

It's probably the supplied cable/EVSE & entailed putting a sticker on it until they eventually replace the plugs, during routine service most likely.

xbDJwOv.jpg

If it was the battery issue, it would pop up on the car's info screen.

I brought mine (uk import) into BMW Galway last week to get the break fluid done and they replaced the charging cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

What's the consumption like running solely on petrol?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

Picked up a 181 530e today. Upgraded from an 04 Avensis, so I'm both terrified driving it (auto handbrake, what!?! It can't stall, what?!!) and thrilled.

I got it from a dealer here, but it came via the UK. Is there anything I should do with the operating system to register it here/upgrade the software?

Also, it won't let me delete the previous owners phone, any way around this? Should I reset/delete data?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 causewayer

Just imported 530e M-Sport - Mediterranean Blue Metallic,
    Black Dakota Leather with Blue Contrast Stitching, Black Front Grill.
    • Dec 2018
    • C02 = 49g/km (WLTP)
    • 26k miles
    • VRT = €1188
      (earlier 2018 cars with C02=46g/km were tested under NEDC and VRT is higher)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Love Med Blue colour, best of luck with it...

Will be buying soon myself hopefully...Was hoping to go for a 192 model with the updated dashboard but they are still a bit pricey and sterling isnt dropping as expected. Might have to drop back a year to 181. Is there any real differences that are noticeable between 181 and 192 models?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

the corpo wrote: »
    Picked up a 181 530e today. Upgraded from an 04 Avensis, so I'm both terrified driving it (auto handbrake, what!?! It can't stall, what?!!) and thrilled.

I got it from a dealer here, but it came via the UK. Is there anything I should do with the operating system to register it here/upgrade the software?

Also, it won't let me delete the previous owners phone, any way around this? Should I reset/delete data?

If you bought it from a main BMW dealer they can sort it for you. If not, you'll probably need to email bmwconnecteddrive@bmwfin.com asking them to activate you car here here (transfer the connected drive account). They'll probably ask for a copy of your registration cert, etc, but it's fairly straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭donnaille

Cona wrote: »

Will be buying soon myself hopefully...Was hoping to go for a 192 model with the updated dashboard but they are still a bit pricey and sterling isnt dropping as expected. Might have to drop back a year to 181. Is there any real differences that are noticeable between 181 and 192 models?

Worth double checking if any of the 192's got the upgraded battery capacity, I did have a quick look, but couldn't find anything definitive.

• Advertisement

TJJP wrote: »
    If you bought it from a main BMW dealer they can sort it for you. If not, you'll probably need to email bmwconnecteddrive@bmwfin.com asking them to activate you car here here (transfer the connected drive account). They'll probably ask for a copy of your registration cert, etc, but it's fairly straight forward.

Thanks, found a BMW how to vid that makes it seem relatively straightforward. Trying to see if I'll lose any posh features the previous UK owner had first!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

What's the consumption like running solely on petrol?

Mine is 192 and I see approx 6.5L-7L/100KM when doing motorway speeds. Reduce speed to 100kph and I remember seeing 6L/100KM.

Recently did a 1100KM trip and got overall 6L/100KM with 2 full battery charges. FE depends on how heavy your right foot is but I like cruising rather than pushing hard.

There is no need to register operating system but I believe you may have created a connected drive account by now. You may create this account on either UK or Irish website. UK account gives you inbuilt spotify which works off cars data/internet.
    Go through the manual and you should sort deleting phone.

Main difference is upgraded battery pack which is up from 9.2kwh to 12kwh and an upgrade of iDrive from 6 to 7 Lite. Note its a lite version and does not have all features of LCI.
    ID 7 Lite adds Android Auto and few intelligent voice features apart from live cockpit professional. There is no remote software upgrade though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mine is 192 and I see approx 6.5L-7L/100KM when doing motorway speeds. Reduce speed to 100kph and I remember seeing 6L/100KM.

Recently did a 1100KM trip and got overall 6L/100KM with 2 full battery charges. FE depends on how heavy your right foot is but I like cruising rather than pushing hard.

There is no need to register operating system but I believe you may have created a connected drive account by now. You may create this account on either UK or Irish website. UK account gives you inbuilt spotify which works off cars data/internet.

Main difference is upgraded battery pack which is up from 9.2kwh to 12kwh and an upgrade of iDrive from 6 to 7 Lite. Note its a lite version and does not have all features of LCI.
    ID 7 Lite adds Android Auto and few intelligent voice features apart from live cockpit professional. There is no remote software upgrade though.
    47 mpg in old money
    Not great compared to a 530d. Shows the main advantage of these "best of both" is for shorter trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

ELM327 wrote: »
    47 mpg in old money
    Not great compared to a 530d. Shows the main advantage of these "best of both" is for shorter trips.

Of course the shorter the journey, the more electric use but 47 mpg is super for a 250 bhp petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

47 mpg in old money

All comes down to how you drive it. my 530d xdrive averaged about 35mpg over its life before it was stolen, I was not shy of the loud peddle but also did a fair bit of city driving, yes if you are only doing long journeys you might creep up towards 50mpg but your not going to blow 47mpg out of the water.

I have a x5 45e now and its averaged 55mpg, (not doing anywhere near the mileage i used to due to working from home) that also includes about 2 months of just ice pre lock down at the start when i was waiting for my home charger to be installed. i get about 50-60km of electric range out of it and >95% of journeys these days are electric only. put it in sports mode and have a bit of fun and you do see single digits mpg mind you :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

mickdw wrote: »
    Of course the shorter the journey, the more electric use but 47 mpg is super for a 250 bhp petrol.

250bhp isnt exactly amazing anymore though. My diesel e60 535d had more than that 15 years ago in a diesel.

djivide_ wrote: »
    All comes down to how you drive it. my 530d xdrive averaged about 35mpg over its life before it was stolen, I was not shy of the loud peddle but also did a fair bit of city driving, yes if you are only doing long journeys you might creep up towards 50mpg but your not going to blow 47mpg out of the water.

I have a x5 45e now and its averaged 55mpg, (not doing anywhere near the mileage i used to due to working from home) that also includes about 2 months of just ice pre lock down at the start when i was waiting for my home charger to be installed. i get about 50-60km of electric range out of it and >95% of journeys these days are electric only. put it in sports mode and have a bit of fun and you do see single digits mpg mind you :P

The X5 45e is actually a lovely car that's on my list for my next car (current model S owner). The problem I have with the 530e/545e is that they dont have enough battery capacity.

250bhp isnt exactly amazing anymore though. My diesel e60 535d had more than that 15 years ago in a diesel.

The X5 45e is actually a lovely car that's on my list for my next car (current model S owner). The problem I have with the 530e/545e is that they dont have enough battery capacity.

Not amazing but 47 mpg from a 250 bhp large petrol saloon which is also capable of running amazingly good numbers on short runs by just injecting some cheap electricity is quite good imo.

Before reading this, I got giddy and just pressed reset. So deleted the previous owners details and set up the car for Ireland.

But it still has Spotify! Very pleased and not touching it again....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You have to be stopped in P to delete the old phone. The bmw iDrive can be quite finicky with things like this.

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    You have to be stopped in P to delete the old phone. The bmw iDrive can be quite finicky with things like this.

Hah, I've lots to learn. So far the BMW connected app is giving me 2.5/5 for efficient driving!

Anyone plump for a Service Pack from BMW? One payment which covers basic car servicing needs for up to 5 years or 100K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Anyone plump for a Service Pack from BMW? One payment which covers basic car servicing needs for up to 5 years or 100K

Yup, I did. Was ~400euro - paid that at the time of my first service (the cost of the service made it a no brainer).

Yep, it's a no-brainer at €429 & should include 2 services, the brake fluid change & wipers etc.

Here's another newbie question.

So the Connecteddrive app is telling me I have USB maps, BWM online, Intelligent Voice assistant, RTTI, and logging into bmw-connecteddrive.ie I can see, for example the car is subscribed to Onliine Speech processing until 26.07.2021.

But in the actual car, it tells me these services are no longer available for this vehicle. Is it possible to restore these services? Or did I blow when I reset the idrive?

It's mainly apple carplay I'd be keen on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Yep, it's a no-brainer at €429 & should include 2 services, the brake fluid change & wipers etc.

Where do you buy this? Do I need to go to the dealership?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

Valhallapt wrote: »
    from the dealer before the car has its first service

Valhallapt wrote: »
    You can buy BSI at a bmw dealer before first service and I also remember seeing an option on bmw-connecteddrive.ie

Would VRT on a 2019 (192 reg) 530e M-Sport be around 3500 euro? Thats what i am seeing on VRT calculator now, thought it would have been in around 2000-2500?

Would VRT on a 2019 (192 reg) 530e M-Sport be around 3500 euro? Thats what i am seeing on VRT calculator now, thought it would have been in around 2000-2500?

VRT is more if you choose 46g co2 car. Since 192 is 41g co2, vrt should be between 2300 - 2500.

On the VRT calculator instead of selecting the 530e, select a 530, automatic, etc you will be able to select hybrid as the engine option, there are multiple versions available for different CO2's. Note the VRT figure indicated includes the PHEV VRT rebate.

Mine went for VRT assessment last Wednesday but is being sent away for manual assessment, should know within 10 working days. Its a 192 M Sport 41g.

• Advertisement

Went through all the various Msport options and only one of them came in around 2300, that was the 46g Co2 version...

The 41g Co2 comes up with €3190.
    Very confusing...how many different versions are there?

Went through all the various Msport options and only one of them came in around 2300, that was the 46g Co2 version...

The 49g is always cheaper than the 46g so you may have missed that.
    There is 46g version - earlier ones.
    The 49g are the ones tested under the newer system and the 41g is the newer model with bigger battery i think

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭crank_1975

Have to bring mine in as the charging flap is stuck and will not open. Anyone else have this issue? Seems to be a common issue in the i3 based on google searches.

When I vrt’d my car in July this year, there were 2 options on vrt site- 46g and 49g. Mine is 192 MSport 41g but I was charged under 49g emission.

Now I see 5 - 41, 39 & 38 and lower the co2 more the vrt. Looks like if I had vrt’d my car now, I would have paid €3350 incl options which is €900 more than what I paid.

Now I see 5 - 41, 39 & 38 and lower the co2 more the vrt. Looks like if I had vrt’d my car now, I would have paid €3350 incl options which is €900 more than what I paid.

That's crazy Ted!

I think revenue often add another iteration whenever they manually assess a vehicle, rather than check if it matches a previously assessed vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭CathalC2011

Hey all, I've been driving a 418d for the last year, and as much as I love it, I do like to change my cars a lot, and I've recently started eyeing up the 530e.

My commute is 22km round trip into town which works out about 6k km per year, but I nearly triple that annually with pleasure driving, around 16k km per year.

I love the diesel, but I've come to realize that all in all, it hasn't ended up being one bit more efficient than my previous 318i.

With the current VRT prices, I'd like to put around 30k total into a 530e.

I'm wondering though, is there anyone out there with a 330e/530e who never uses the plug-in? I live in an apartment with no charger, so I'd pretty much never charge it aside from the odd few minutes at a shop. I purely want the electric aspect for cheap VRT and the extra bit of torque. Anyone else use it for the same? Is it as good as a 530i without using the charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭donnaille

Hey all, I've been driving a 418d for the last year, and as much as I love it, I do like to change my cars a lot, and I've recently started eyeing up the 530e.

My commute is 22km round trip into town which works out about 6k km per year, but I nearly triple that annually with pleasure driving, around 16k km per year.

I love the diesel, but I've come to realize that all in all, it hasn't ended up being one bit more efficient than my previous 318i.

With the current VRT prices, I'd like to put around 30k total into a 530e.

I'm wondering though, is there anyone out there with a 330e/530e who never uses the plug-in? I live in an apartment with no charger, so I'd pretty much never charge it aside from the odd few minutes at a shop. I purely want the electric aspect for cheap VRT and the extra bit of torque. Anyone else use it for the same? Is it as good as a 530i without using the charger?

It’s a lot heavier and lacks boot space so worth keeping that in mind.

I'm wondering though, is there anyone out there with a 330e/530e who never uses the plug-in?

Probably. Probably quite a few actually.

If you don't have home &/or work charging, a PHEV ain't for you.

Get yourself the 530i you really want :).

Probably. Probably quite a few actually.

If you don't have home &/or work charging, a PHEV ain't for you.

Get yourself the 530i you really want :).

I wouldnt say dont get a 530e. Sure, you miss out on the fuel efficiency benefits of plugging in but its surely a better car all round than a 520i
    and a 530i is going to be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

Is it as good as a 530i without using the charger?

The 530i in this generation is based on the 2L 4 cylinder engine, outputting 250-ish bhp.

The 530e has the same engine, but tuned as 520i (180-ish) bhp and you need the electric motor to give you the extra 70bhp.

If you never charge the 530e, in my view it would be pointless. You'll be hauling around extra 240kg.

The VRT will be cheaper, but your fuel consumption will be higher, my guess if you never charge the 530e you'll be averaging somewhere between 7-9L/100km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Alter_Ego wrote: »
    The 530i in this generation is based on the 2L 4 cylinder engine, outputting 250-ish bhp.

The 530e has the same engine, but tuned as 520i (180-ish) bhp and you need the electric motor to give you the extra 70bhp.

If you never charge the 530e, in my view it would be pointless. You'll be hauling around extra 240kg.

The VRT will be cheaper, but your fuel consumption will be higher, my guess if you never charge the 530e you'll be averaging somewhere between 7-9L/100km.

Can you get 250bhp out of a 520i with a remap I wonder? 530i's are extremely hard to find but 520i's are quite common and cheaper than the 530e - though the VRT is a lot higher

The batteries dont just sit there dead.
    Even if not plugging in, you get the battery powered bhp at all times whether it is from recovered energy or charged via the petrol engine.

The batteries dont just sit there dead.
    Even if not plugging in, you get the battery powered bhp at all times whether it is from recovered energy or charged via the petrol engine.

Sure, but you'll be burning more fuel than 530i that way.

Sure, but you'll be burning more fuel than 530i that way.

Id say it would balance out - heavier car but with much more onboard energy recovery plus if used right even without plugging in, ev running around town which would be a big bonus.

Id say it would balance out - heavier car but with much more onboard energy recovery plus if used right even without plugging in, ev running around town which would be a big bonus.

Not according to this - https://electrek.co/2020/04/16/new-bmw-330e-plug-in-hybrid-ups-ev-range-to-23-miles-but-lowers-mpg/

"The gas efficiency, after the battery is depleted, for the 2021 BMW 330e is 28 mpg combined (25/33 mpg city/highway). The 330e xDrive gets 25 mpg combined (22/30 mpg city/highway)."

That's a 330e, which is lighter than the 530e btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭CathalC2011

Not according to this - https://electrek.co/2020/04/16/new-bmw-330e-plug-in-hybrid-ups-ev-range-to-23-miles-but-lowers-mpg/

"The gas efficiency, after the battery is depleted, for the 2021 BMW 330e is 28 mpg combined (25/33 mpg city/highway). The 330e xDrive gets 25 mpg combined (22/30 mpg city/highway)."

Huh.. Thanks for the link. I was hoping it would be as mickdw said.. heavier for sure, but I thought the energy recovery from braking etc. would somewhat cancel it out.

I think I'm OK with being a bit less efficient. Sadly in a world with a broken tax like VRT, I'm still saving 4-5 grand which will go straight into a higher spec!

Plus while it mightn't be any more powerful than the 530i (because as mentioned by someone earlier, its de-tuned to 20i levels), it's still a full 100hp more than my current 418d.

In terms of energy recovery, is regenerative braking on at all times? Or only in battery control mode?

What point are you trying to make, that is just a reference to 330e v 330e xdrive.
    We were discussing 30e v 30i?
    I said the heavier 30e would likely balance out in energy efficiency versus 530i given its recovery systems on board and the ability to move around on battery alone in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114995144&postcount=563

That post a few pages ago, the poster averaged 6 litre/100 km over 1100km with 2 charges,

I do not put much faith into American reports, also I would like to know what is the mpg of the 530i/520i before I would make a commitment.

Even if its crap mpg, the difference in vrt might make it appealing to go for the phev.

Its not impossible for someone in a apartment to get an charger installed, some here have got them installed, its not as if there is going to be another choice, transport is turning towards electric.

• Advertisement

kanuseeme wrote: »
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114995144&postcount=563

That post a few pages ago, the poster averaged 6 litre/100 km over 1100km with 2 charges,

I do not put much faith into American reports, also I would like to know what is the mpg of the 530i/520i before I would make a commitment.

Even if its crap mpg, the difference in vrt might make it appealing to go for the phev.

Its not impossible for someone in a apartment to get an charger installed, some here have got them installed, its not as if there is going to be another choice, transport is turning towards electric.

Also the american gallon is only 3.8L.
    If you adjust the figures from that article, thats somewhere between 33 and 34 mpg combined if taking a gallon as 4.54 L
    Thats perfectly acceptable. Will a 30i get better mileage - hard to say but i doubt it.

Advertisement