Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any 530e owners out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

Casati wrote: »
    Can you get 250bhp out of a 520i with a remap I wonder? 530i's are extremely hard to find but 520i's are quite common and cheaper than the 530e - though the VRT is a lot higher

Yes, You can remap a 520i to get 250hp but that would void warranty and also puts more stress on engine components as I remember reading that some parts are different in 530i (I may be wrong though). 520i are cheaper to buy from UK but landed cost of 530e is more or less same as 520i which makes 530e more attractive even if you can charge occasionally.
    Alter_Ego wrote: »
    Not according to this -
    "The gas efficiency, after the battery is depleted, for the 2021 BMW 330e is 28 mpg combined (25/33 mpg city/highway). The 330e xDrive gets 25 mpg combined (22/30 mpg city/highway)."

That's US mpg and corresponding UK would be around 34 mpg which is not bad for a heavy car with 250 hp.
    Plus while it mightn't be any more powerful than the 530i (because as mentioned by someone earlier, its de-tuned to 20i levels), it's still a full 100hp more than my current 418d.
    Check out 0-150+ kmph comparison of 530e/530i/530d and you would be surprised.

530e is almost as quick as 530i/530d and is in fact faster than 530d to reach 200kmph in the below video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RLUeqLM8eI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwCFQlGgnSQ

the corpo wrote: »
    In terms of energy recovery, is regenerative braking on at all times? Or only in battery control mode?
    Regenerative braking is on whenever you are either coasting or braking. Comfort mode has got more regen compared to Eco Pro mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I know most on here have imported used 530s, I’m actually thinking about buying a new one in February, it would be the LCI facelifted version, to my own spec.

I’ve always bought brand new, any thoughts on the sense or otherwise if going new in this case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

AidenL wrote: »
    I know most on here have imported used 530s, I’m actually thinking about buying a new one in February, it would be the LCI facelifted version, to my own spec.

I’ve always bought brand new, any thoughts on the sense or otherwise if going new in this case?

If you can handle the depreciation then why not. But it will lose value, and lose it hard and quick. There's a small number of 2017 models into the
    25k bracket now and 2018 for just over 30k. They're dealer asking prices too, not trade in values. Same as 520d in fairness but I'd be surprised if there isn't another increased range model coming in next year or 2 which pushes price of older ones down.
    But nice car, I like the idea of a PHEV myself and 530e is the one I'd buy. But I'd buy used.

If you can handle the depreciation then why not. But it will lose value, and lose it hard and quick. There's a small number of 2017 models into the
    25k bracket now and 2018 for just over 30k. They're dealer asking prices too, not trade in values. Same as 520d in fairness but I'd be surprised if there isn't another increased range model coming in next year or 2 which pushes price of older ones down.
    But nice car, I like the idea of a PHEV myself and 530e is the one I'd buy. But I'd buy used.

I suppose everything depreciates, it’s just a mattter of, as you say, funding the depreciation on any new car we buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 farl

SummerK wrote: »
    Mine is 192 and I see approx 6.5L-7L/100KM when doing motorway speeds. Reduce speed to 100kph and I remember seeing 6L/100KM.

Recently did a 1100KM trip and got overall 6L/100KM with 2 full battery charges. FE depends on how heavy your right foot is but I like cruising rather than pushing hard.

There is no need to register operating system but I believe you may have created a connected drive account by now. You may create this account on either UK or Irish website. UK account gives you inbuilt spotify which works off cars data/internet.
    Go through the manual and you should sort deleting phone.

Main difference is upgraded battery pack which is up from 9.2kwh to 12kwh and an upgrade of iDrive from 6 to 7 Lite. Note its a lite version and does not have all features of LCI.
    ID 7 Lite adds Android Auto and few intelligent voice features apart from live cockpit professional. There is no remote software upgrade though.
    192 530e (Reg late Nov 2019). It has ID7 (I presume Lite) - has Apple Carplay but no Android Auto. Obviously no RSU. Do I need to go to a dealer to get a a software update? Anyone know if they'll charge for it?

• Advertisement

farl wrote: »
    192 530e (Reg late Nov 2019). It has ID7 (I presume Lite) - has Apple Carplay but no Android Auto. Obviously no RSU. Do I need to go to a dealer to get a a software update? Anyone know if they'll charge for it?
    Pre-LCI have ID7 Lite. Just tell dealership you've got intermittent reverse camera issues and they will upgrade software for free. Looks like we will never get RSU for Pre-LCI cars.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You’ve always bought brand new so your aware of the biggest pitfall. Devaluation.
    As long as your happy with that then I’d buy new every chance I got.

Just got a recall message on Bmw connected app. BMW will be replacing 3 pin charging cable for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Kramer

Just got a recall message on Bmw connected app. BMW will be replacing 3 pin charging cable for free.

Mine has never been used but they did add a sticker to it, advising me they were to replace it, I suppose almost a year ago now?

I guess more PHEV owners would tend to use these included "granny" cables as they wouldn't have existing Type 2 charge points already installed or, indeed, even bother getting proper charge points installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Mine was in yesterday getting a new centre dash speaker installed (there is a know fault with them).

They told me that they were going to replace my charger. Better double check with them that they did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Guys,
    Have a deposit on a late 2019 model with Car Supermarket. Anything I need to be concerned about. Any particular questions I need to ask? Car has not had its first service yet as expected.

Can someone do a sanity check for me please?

Next steps:
    - Transfer the balance using Revolut account (once date and time collection agreed)
    - arrange UK tax on the car (possibly dealer with help with??)
    - arrange Irish insurance to cover me driving the car in the UK
    - Get the Full V5C document from dealer
    - Get car to Ireland, register for VRT inspection etc

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Cona wrote: »
    Guys,
    Have a deposit on a late 2019 model with Car Supermarket. Anything I need to be concerned about. Any particular questions I need to ask? Car has not had its first service yet as expected.

Can someone do a sanity check for me please?

Next steps:
    - Transfer the balance using Revolut account (once date and time collection agreed)
    - arrange Irish insurance to cover me driving the car in the UK
    - Get the Full V5C document from dealer
    - Get car to Ireland, register for VRT inspection etc

Make sure you get all the paperwork, invoice, ferry ticket, also charge cable and locknut.😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Small issue of getting over there and back and quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Maddic_Irl

As other have said, paperwork, etc. Ensure you have the invoice before you pay in full. Two keys, charge cables and video walk around. Car is under warranty so software updates should be FOC, consider the service plan before first service €429 for up to 100k or 5 years.

Have the car collected though, cheaper and no Quarantine issues.

Thanks lads...am looking into getting a delivery service so I need to be sure of the car as obviously I won’t see it beforehand. Never done this so am a bit nervous. So that’s: all paper work inc V5C, invoice, 2 keys, lock nut and a full video walk around to ensure no surprises.

Cheers for the advice

Next steps:

No need to tax the car (UK) if it's being collected & trailered out of the UK for permanent export.
    I thought I had read somewhere Carsupermarket or someone similar, wouldn't sell UK cars for export?

Well wear anyway :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

If the car is being permanently exported from the UK, then UK VAT can be reclaimed yeah? Don't think many factor this in.

And to the poster above, no need to pay UK tax. Get your full invoice and get the full log book. You book it in at the NCT centre and it's a quick inspection. The last car I imported I brought a bank draft with me that was in the ballpark of what was due, and I paid the rest via card. There and then I was given the Irish reg number and the pin to pay for my tax online. I went and got my reg plates, and I got my Irish log book in the post automatically.

myshirt wrote: »
    If the car is being permanently exported from the UK, then UK VAT can be reclaimed yeah? Don't think many factor this in.

There is vat qualifying and vat margin (which differs per car), not 100% sure on the difference but friend of mine in the trade has said its more hassle than its worth as you have to pay it and claim it back afaik. Also VAT registration will most likely be a requirement.
    myshirt wrote: »

And to the poster above, no need to pay UK tax. Get your full invoice and get the full log book. You book it in at the NCT centre and it's a quick inspection. The last car I imported I brought a bank draft with me that was in the ballpark of what was due, and I paid the rest via card. There and then I was given the Irish reg number and the pin to pay for my tax online. I went and got my reg plates, and I got my Irish log book in the post automatically.

VRT'd my 192 530e last week, it was sent away for manual assessment (due to being relatively new I was told by the inspector) and took them 3 weeks for them to give a figure. VRT'd cars before and it was on the spot as you said.

This particular 530e is the 41g Co2 model. Which bizarrely has a higher rate of VRT even though it’s more efficient than the 49g model!!??!?

41g model is coming in at around 3300€ without the extras addons

This particular 530e is the 41g Co2 model. Which bizarrely has a higher rate of VRT even though it’s more efficient than the 49g model!!??!?

41g model is coming in at around 3300€ without the extras addons

Few months ago I paid €2400 for 41g model. It appears that VRT has been increased after adding 41g, 38g & 36g model on the revenue system and you would pay around €3500 for 38/36g model. Lower the co2, more the VRT. Thanks Green Party.

• Advertisement

Paid just under €2,300 last week for 192 41g M Sport, when I went to pay the road tax it was classified as 49g.

It appears that VRT has been increased after adding 41g, 38g & 36g model on the revenue system and you would pay around €3500 for 38/36g model. Lower the co2, more the VRT. Thanks Green Party.

I assume they are attributing a higher OMSP to the lower CO2 rated models - they are newer in fairness.
    Then again, revenue & OMSPs = black magic/voodoo :pac:.

I've seen a doppelganger of my 530e a few times recently, identical right down to the reg - only the last 2 digits are different :eek:.

Ok guys.
    Just back from driving a 172 530e MSport with every single extra available. €91k new it would have been here!

Anyway, it’s for my parents. They do very little mileage. They won’t go full EV yet even though their case allows.

Current 132 520d has 27k km on it from new!

Does the €600 charger grant extend to PHEV too?
    What’s the average MPG in auto mode for normal driving?

The big fear is the swap back to petrol following the government’s forced push towards diesel back in 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

Gumbo wrote: »
    Ok guys.

Current 132 520d has 27k km on it from new!

What’s the average MPG in auto mode for normal driving?

Not being smart but does MPG really matter when the previous car had less than 4k km per year. The cost of petrol is nothing compared to price and depreciation

djivide_ wrote: »
    Not being smart but does MPG really matter when the previous car had less than 4k km per year. The cost of petrol is nothing compared to price and depreciation

No it probably doesn’t. I just want to be armed with the info as I know they will ask me. Better to have it then be looking for it.

Depreciation won’t be considered as such, I told them to keep the current car but he fancies a change after 7 years.

No it probably doesn’t. I just want to be armed with the info as I know they will ask me. Better to have it then be looking for it.

Depreciation won’t be considered as such, I told them to keep the current car but he fancies a change after 7 years.

All fair enough. I cant say much about depreciation I have a new x5 45e gathering dust in the drive. I have gone from doing ~25k km per year to having just under 6k on the new one.

What mode do you guys have set on the car?
    I’m trying to work out what’s best to leave it on for the parents.

90% of journeys are local with a mixture of 50 and 60kmph roads.

Max eDrive or Auto eDrive?
    These PHEV are fierce complicated......I’ll stick with my EV any day :)

Thanks.

What mode do you guys have set on the car?
    I’m trying to work out what’s best to leave it on for the parents.

90% of journeys are local with a mixture of 50 and 60kmph roads.

Max eDrive or Auto eDrive?
    These PHEV are fierce complicated......I’ll stick with my EV any day :)

Thanks.

I set it to Auto eDrive. Car will try to run on battery power as much as possible and will start ICE if required- like when climbing steep hills or when you floor pedal. It's not complicated if you spend 5 minutes to read manual.

Quick summary of drive modes:
    Auto eDrive - Car will decide whether to run on battery or ICE with battery being higher priority
    Max eDrive - Car will use battery until it is almost depleted and then will activate Auto eDrive
    Battery Control - When BC is activated car will use ICE to charge battery thus burning more fuel. I have never used it as I see it pointless in my use case.

Edit: Did you parents pick Bluestone Msport plus from GT Motors?

• Advertisement

I set it to Auto eDrive. Car will try to run on battery power as much as possible and will start ICE if required- like when climbing steep hills or when you floor pedal. It's not complicated if you spend 5 minutes to read manual.

Quick summary of drive modes:
    Auto eDrive - Car will decide whether to run on battery or ICE with battery being higher priority
    Max eDrive - Car will use battery until it is almost depleted and then will activate Auto eDrive
    Battery Control - When BC is activated car will use ICE to charge battery thus burning more fuel. I have never used it as I see it pointless in my use case.

Edit: Did you parents pick Bluestone Msport plus from GT Motors?

Cheers.

Battery Control mode is similar to REX in i3 I think.

No, didn’t buy from GT. They seem to have a few. Got an Alpine White with Cognac Interior from Mark Templeton Cars in Malahide. They’ve been buying off him since 2004 when he was DG Opel, then BMW.

Cheers.

Battery Control mode is similar to REX in i3 I think.

No, didn’t buy from GT. They seem to have a few. Got an Alpine White with Cognac Interior from Mark Templeton Cars in Malahide. They’ve been buying off him since 2004 when he was DG Opel, then BMW.

Awesome. If its the one with around 55k odo then the spec looks yummy (with B&W speaker?) with pretty much all options ticked. Not sure how these guys source such a high spec car as it is very rare to see similar 530e in BMK UK forecourts.

I wanted 530e with Harmon Kardon & 19" wheels but could not find a single one in a months time search. Finally settled for base audio system as all HK one's were with 20" wheels.

Awesome. If its the one with around 55k odo then the spec looks yummy (with B&W speaker?) with pretty much all options ticked. Not sure how these guys source such a high spec car as it is very rare to see similar 530e in BMK UK forecourts.

I wanted 530e with Harmon Kardon & 19" wheels but could not find a single one in a months time search. Finally settled for base audio system as all HK one's were with 20" wheels.

Yes that’s it.
    Mark himself was one of the top bmw sales men in his prime. He has obviously kept alot of contacts in the trade. He’s very selective of what he brings in and retails.

It was priced at €91k if bought here seemly!

I have the HK system in my F10 and had it in my old i3. It’s a good system. You should have jumped on the ones with the 20” wheels. You would have sold them all day long. I know 2 people currently looking for the 20” for their 530e’s. Also, I have 19” on the F10 and 21” on the Tesla, the 20” on the G30 do t feel any different to either of the other 2.

534849.jpeg

Yes that’s it.

Well wear to them - nice car.

Quick & cheap aesthetic improvement - change out the chrome grill surround for black. Takes seconds & would look well on the white too IMO.

Kramer wrote: »
    Well wear to them - nice car.

Quick & cheap aesthetic improvement - change out the chrome grill surround for black. Takes seconds & would look well on the white too IMO.

Yeah have that done on the F10. I’ll run it by the parents first.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HughMann

Hi, just upgraded to a 530e. Been scanning the thread and getting some great info. It's surely been answered before but can someone recommend a charging cable. I'm new to all this so trying to find my way. I have the supplied 3 pin plug cable which is fine for home charging for the moment but I need a cable to charge at the facilities at work. I've registered to use the work chargers but I'll need a type 2 to type 2 charging cable. From looking a 172 530e can charge at a max of 7kw, is this correct? Could anyone recommend a cable and/or resellers please. Is this any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAX-GREEN-Electric-Charging-Cable/dp/B07P786L2F/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks.

• Advertisement

HughMann wrote: »
    Hi, just upgraded to a 530e.

Well wear :).

It maxes at 3.7kW charging speed but I'd still suggest you get a 32a Type 2 cable - you'll likely get a full EV or faster charging PHEV at some point in the future so best to future proof with the cable.

To be honest, you'll rarely publically charge the 530e, it's just not worth it. Work is different though & make hay while the sun shines as they say.

That cable looks expensive to me, try the for sale thread here or a search - some can recommend companies they've used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Hi knowledgeable EV guys, what's the range on an early 530e? Approx real life commuting range, mixed driving.

Are the ones on sale now the same car as the 2017s or has there been improvements and upgrades since then?

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Hi knowledgeable EV guys, what's the range on an early 530e? Approx real life commuting range, mixed driving.

Are the ones on sale now the same car as the 2017s or has there been improvements and upgrades since then?

Original cars to mid 2019 came with a 9.2kWh battery. 192 reg onwards upgraded to 12kWh capacity (gross). Slight changes to the dash cluster then too, BMW's new all digital display & latest software - v7 I think.

Range anywhere from 25km to 50km. In a 2019, 9.2kWh version, I achieved 50km in summer, deliberately hypermiling. I usually get 35km.

It's as cheap to fuel as any diesel & worth it for the refinement/power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Original cars to mid 2019 came with a 9.2kWh battery. 192 reg onwards upgraded to 12kWh capacity (gross). Slight changes to the dash cluster then too, BMW's new all digital display & latest software - v7 I think.

Range anywhere from 25km to 50km. In a 2019, 9.2kWh version, I achieved 50km in summer, deliberately hypermiling. I usually get 35km.

It's as cheap to fuel as any diesel & worth it for the refinement/power.

Thanks, if it does 35-40 kms that's good enough for me. My car is fully paid for this month and I've had it 3 years now so fancy a change. Don't expect to have zero petrol costs but most days I wouldn't exceed 30 kms or so, I do about 1000 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HughMann

Well wear :).

It maxes at 3.7kW charging speed but I'd still suggest you get a 32a Type 2 cable - you'll likely get a full EV or faster charging PHEV at some point in the future so best to future proof with the cable.

To be honest, you'll rarely publically charge the 530e, it's just not worth it. Work is different though & make hay while the sun shines as they say.

That cable looks expensive to me, try the for sale thread here or a search - some can recommend companies they've used.

Great info. Cheers, I'll have a look on the for sale thread.

• Advertisement

HughMann wrote: »
    Great info. Cheers, I'll have a look on the for sale thread.

Few on adverts for sale currently.

Also check here - https://thirdrockenergy.co.uk/

I bought my 3 phase 32a cable here in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

Wondering if anyone has any experience of A1Autos in Kildare ? They have several 530e's for sale at the moment.

Ron Scott wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone has any experience of A1Autos in Kildare ? They have several 530e's for sale at the moment.

All of them appear to have that m performance kit.
    I personally think its overkill and cars with it appear to be priced slighly under normal m sport in alot of cases.

Am I correct in saying the 530e only charges at 3.7 kw, so is it pointless having a dedicated charge point?

Would the granny cable option not charge as fast?

Am I correct in saying the 530e only charges at 3.7 kw, so is it pointless having a dedicated charge point?

I think the granny cable is marginally slower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Yes, a dedicated charger is limited to 16 amps, so 3.7kw.

However the granny cable (mine anyway) is limited to 10 amps so only 2.2kw. But my plug was getting so hot at 10 amps that I changed the setting to 6 amps so only 1.3kw. That works fine for me as I charge overnight.

Main advantage of dedicated charger is most of cost covered by grant and you have it future-proofed if your next car charges at 32 amp.

Yes, a dedicated charger is limited to 16 amps, so 3.7kw.

However the granny cable (mine anyway) is limited to 10 amps so only 2.2kw. But my plug was getting so hot at 10 amps that I changed the setting to 6 amps so only 1.3kw. That works fine for me as I charge overnight.

Main advantage of dedicated charger is most of cost covered by grant and you have it future-proofed if your next car charges at 32 amp.

Yep, I guess I may as well get it so. Will go with a Zappi and get the benefit from the PV solar panels in summer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

All fair enough. I cant say much about depreciation I have a new x5 45e gathering dust in the drive. I have gone from doing ~25k km per year to having just under 6k on the new one.

How are you finding the X5 45e?

digiman wrote: »
    How are you finding the X5 45e?

Love it, just pitty i am doing so few miles in it. my commute used to be ~65km round trip before working from home and before first lock down i was getting about 60km on electric only mode, have only been back to the office once since the first lock down.

having gone from a couple of 520d to a 530d (which was stolen, signal boost the key on my drive) to this the power and 0-60 is about the same as the 530d but it is a heavier vehicle and you do notice the weight in the bends but still lovely car when you throw it into sports mode. Electric only mode is fine for around town but can feel a little sluggish after 60-80 kmph but plenty in reserve once the engine kicks in and very smooth transition.

it can get expensive as you start ticking the options but sure you only live once, but compared to the m50d its still a hell of alot cheaper, uncle of mine has the 50d and you don't really notice that it is 200 odd kg lighter, neither are light suvs but can be fun to drive, but at the same time comfortable and quiet when cruising. Did one trip to the west over the summer and did mid 30's mpg on that trip. its nearly all electric only at the moment, take it for a spin now and again to keep the engine from sitting idle too long.

Love it, just pitty i am doing so few miles in it...............before first lock down i was getting about 60km on electric only mode

How did BMW address the order to stop charging? Did they do a software update at the dealership or an OTA update or a hardware mod?

Well wear - I'm eyeing up an X5 45e next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement