Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any 530e owners out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭eggerb

Gumbo wrote: »
    The dealer will just tell you to bring the key into the so they can read what’s required.

Brake fluid change deffo due. That will be your first orange light on the service screen :D

The iDrive will also tell you when it needs pads, it should list it by mileage.
    The brake fluid is usually 2year intervals so if it’s saying it was due in December 2020, then the car should be a December 2018 car? But if registered in March, someone may have reset the interval at some stage?

When you check the service history on the iDrive, you can actually click one more step into the system, and it tells you what was carried out at that service.

Cheers -thanks again.
    Yeah, I see now I could have clicked further! I think I was a bit excited to be left clicking away on the iDrive! I suppose, it’ll be clear to anybody looking at it was just the brake fluid. There seemed to be a message about the battery (Teleservice Battery Guard performed) and charger as well.. I’m not reading these as too serious .. but maybe I shouldn’t assume anything knowing nothing about these things !! .. pics attached

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wcooba

eggerb wrote: »
    I suppose, it’ll be clear to anybody looking at it was just the brake fluid. There seemed to be a message about the battery (Teleservice Battery Guard performed) and charger as well.. I’m not reading these as too serious .. but maybe I shouldn’t assume anything knowing nothing about these things !! .. pics attached

First brake fluid change is after 3 years and then every two years.
    I think the charging cable message is just a recall information - there was some faulty batch.
    And the battery message seems like info that diagnostic data was sent to the “mothership”. Again there was some recall - so possibly they gather those reports to identify faulty ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Chrispb

Just after reading this whole thread- very informative ( over a few days ) I am picking up a 2018 530e msport next week in Mediterranean blue . It has with some nice extras - HUD , heated steering wheel , technology pack , comfort access , display key . But one thing it doesn’t have it a reverse camera . Which is a pity but I couldn’t pass on a what it otherwise exactly what I have been looking for with super low mileage.

Has anyone gone done the route of retrofitting a reverse camera or installing an aftermarket one that works with the Integrated screen ?

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Chrispb wrote: »
    Just after reading this whole thread- very informative ( over a few days ) I am picking up a 2018 530e msport next week in Mediterranean blue . It has with some nice extras - HUD , heated steering wheel , technology pack , comfort access , display key . But one thing it doesn’t have it a reverse camera . Which is a pity but I couldn’t pass on a what it otherwise exactly what I have been looking for with super low mileage.

Has anyone gone done the route of retrofitting a reverse camera or installing an aftermarket one that works with the Integrated screen ?

Thanks

Yes. Simple enough once you know what your doing. I don’t. But this guy does :

€630 supplied and fitted using all OEM parts.

https://www.facebook.com/108286540593952/posts/430734298349173/?d=n

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Chrispb

Yes. Simple enough once you know what your doing. I don’t. But this guy does :

€630 supplied and fitted using all OEM parts.

https://www.facebook.com/108286540593952/posts/430734298349173/?d=n

Thank you- that’s ideal , I have read the instructions for OEM Installation and decided it definitely was not a job I would like to start , don’t want to break !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Meant to post a pic earlier but have been too busy enjoying this since I got it. Pic 1: the day I collected it, Pic 2: sitting in the miserable weather ..

Pity about the restrictions as I'd like to take it for a spin. I like how different the Carbon black looks in different lighting. I wasn't sold on it at first but in person I think I prefer it than the straight up black sapphire, it's got a nice shimmer in sunlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

fifth wrote: »
    Meant to post a pic earlier but have been too busy enjoying this since I got it.

Well wear.

Now, get that chrome front grille replaced with a black one. Generic costs €30/40, clips on in seconds & really updates the front of the car.

Kramer wrote: »
    Well wear.

Now, get that chrome front grille replaced with a black one. Generic costs €30/40, clips on in seconds & really updates the front of the car.

Cheers!

Re: the grill surround.. You're the second person to say that to me this past week :P, I hadn't really thought about it! Anywhere you'd recommend to pick one up?

Re: the grill surround.. You're the second person to say that to me this past week :P,

I can't remember where I sourced mine - Ebay from the UK IIRC. I was surprised at how good it was - very high quality, unlike the usual Chinese cheap junk. I'll see if it's still in my history.

No real decent picture of the black - this one from the summer shows it, slightly.
    It's a few seconds to change anyway & easy revert back to the chrome.

xgg3y5G.jpg

Ah yeah, very tidy looking. On the hunt for one now. Spotted one on ebay germany for 59e delivered.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, very tidy looking. On the hunt for one now.

This was the seller I bought from, but looks like they don't ship to Ireland now. It's likely it's the same grille from all sellers, from the same mould from the same factory.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grille-For-BMW-5-Series-G30-G31-2017-2018-Front-Kidney-Double-Slat-Gloss-Black-/163070309021?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Maddic_Irl

This is where I got my Kidney grills, they run promotions every now and then if you not in a rush. Based in Germany.

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-g30-sedan-530eb48x-20190900/catn-ol?q=kidney

Cheers folks, ordered a set. Looking forward to fitting them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

If anyone is looking for a 530e, this is the guy in dublin i got my 330e msport off, found him very good to deal with and has some.
    http://www.gtmotorsdublin.com/used-cars.php?make_id=10&model_id=87&xModelID=&search_submit=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭markobucko

Meant to post a pic earlier but have been too busy enjoying this since I got it. Pic 1: the day I collected it, Pic 2: sitting in the miserable weather ..

Pity about the restrictions as I'd like to take it for a spin. I like how different the Carbon black looks in different lighting. I wasn't sold on it at first but in person I think I prefer it than the straight up black sapphire, it's got a nice shimmer in sunlight.

Beautiful car mate
    Wow!!
    I’m in the market for one myself

phill106 wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for a 530e, this is the guy in dublin i got my 330e msport off, found him very good to deal with and has some.
    http://www.gtmotorsdublin.com/used-cars.php?make_id=10&model_id=87&xModelID=&search_submit=

Graham the chap you dealt with??
    Has a few beauties up there but I have a trade in which he didn’t really want so have to try private sell and do a cash deal with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

markobucko wrote: »
    Has a few beauties up there but I have a trade in which he didn’t really want so have to try private sell and do a cash deal with him

Any room for movement on his prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Read his spiel about trade ins on top of every ad...you won't be going there and getting good price for anything you have
    Was offered 6k less there last year than anywhere else. And it wasn't on anything well priced, although it was a lovely car. I just couldn't do it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mickdw wrote: »

Not at the moment. His prices are currently non negotiable.
    No haggling based on the cost to bring one in.

Trade ins considered at rock bottom trade prices.

Not at the moment. His prices are currently non negotiable.
    No haggling based on the cost to bring one in.

Trade ins considered at rock bottom trade prices.

I see he says that but was wondering had anyone dealt with them on a straight sale recently.

• Advertisement

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110916800&postcount=3

Mine will likely be up for grabs in a few months - if anyone is in the market then, I'll post it up here. It's just had its first service.

6th0vnT.jpg

Never really spoke about it as the usual jargon is we are working on tight margins and all that

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110916800&postcount=3

Mine will likely be up for grabs in a few months - if anyone is in the market then, I'll post it up here. It's just had its first service.

6th0vnT.jpg

Beautiful mate
    Any particular reason for selling up ??

Beautiful mate
    Any particular reason for selling up ??

We've always tended to change cars regularly.

I'm hyper critical as regulars here might know but the 530e has been probably the best, all around car I've owned. It had terribly poor speakers in base spec (I upgraded) & no one ever refused more power, but for refinement, looks, comfort, economy, running costs etc., it's hard to beat.

I'll be likely updating to the 545e or possibly, X5 45e - for more cylinders :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

We've always tended to change cars regularly.

I'm hyper critical as regulars here might know but the 530e has been probably the best, all around car I've owned. It had terribly poor speakers in base spec (I upgraded) & no one ever refused more power, but for refinement, looks, comfort, economy, running costs etc., it's hard to beat.

I'll be likely updating to the 545e or possibly, X5 45e - for more cylinders :pac:.

How did you upgrade the speakers? I only as as I did it on my BMW with Eton speakers which are excellent.

Bob Flavia has a new 530e video on YouTube. He loves it.

maddness wrote: »
    How did you upgrade the speakers?.....Eton speakers which are excellent.

Yep, the Etons are an easy, drop in replacement & a big improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Ricey3509

Yep, the Etons are an easy, drop in replacement & a big improvement.

I’m considering an upgrade myself, is it a DIY job or did you get someone to do the installation?

Ricey3509 wrote: »
    I’m considering an upgrade myself, is it a DIY job or did you get someone to do the installation?

It depends. I'd class it as a handy enough DIY job, but you will break a few retaining clips, so have some handy. There are some videos on Youtube so you'd have an idea what it entails.

A competent mechanic shouldn't charge too much anyway - it's a half an hour job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Ricey3509

It depends. I'd class it as a handy enough DIY job, but you will break a few retaining clips, so have some handy. There are some videos on Youtube so you'd have an idea what it entails.

A competent mechanic shouldn't charge too much anyway - it's a half an hour job.

Great, thanks. Which model did you install and where did you buy from?

Ricey3509 wrote: »
    Great, thanks. Which model did you install and where did you buy from?

www.amazon.de - Eton B100w.

It was a German seller at the time, even pre brexit, that was the best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Buddy Bubs wrote: »

https://youtu.be/1vbo4QUzUi4

I'm not a big bmw fan but do like this car and the philosophy and design intent behind it. The economics of phev are redundant in this case given its a 5 series. The bigger battery in the new model seems a good improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Lantus wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/1vbo4QUzUi4

I'm not a big bmw fan but do like this car and the philosophy and design intent behind it. The economics of phev are redundant in this case given its a 5 series. The bigger battery in the new model seems a good improvement.

Why are the PHEV economics redundant?

Casati wrote: »

I guess savings on running costs (petrol) pale in significance when compared to depreciation/finance costs etc.

Saving €1,000 on petrol per year, on an €80k car, likely wouldn't be a big consideration for a potential buyer.

If you're getting a luxury German car regardless, it's a far better proposition than a new, tractor like 520d - diesel :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

I guess savings on running costs (petrol) pale in significance when compared to depreciation/finance costs etc.

Saving €1,000 on petrol per year, on an €80k car, likely wouldn't be a big consideration for a potential buyer.

If you're getting a luxury German car regardless, it's a far better proposition than a new, tractor like 520d - diesel :pac:.

That's it really, the appeal of the hybrid in a luxury car isn't necessarily about the total running cost, but the smooth torquey power delivery and quiet running costs around town.

But on the cost side, if you're a commuters with charging facilities at work, it has great potential. Noone buys a 530e over a bus ticket because they want to save money, but they do buy the 530e over a 520d because they want to save money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

did he ever figure out how to use a charger?
    I stopped watching his videos a couple of years ago when he pretended not to know how to use a charger, which was all the fashion with reporters a few years ago....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

did he ever figure out how to use a charger?
    I stopped watching his videos a couple of years ago when he pretended not to know how to use a charger, which was all the fashion with reporters a few years ago....

I can’t watch his stuff, he’s brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Yep that was him!
    Cars going grand, no issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Because it's an expensive luxury car. Someone purchasing a new 5 series hardly needs to save money and the extra expenses of phev in the first place is likely not an issue compared to the many other luxury options on offer.

Compared to say the kona soft hybrid where the hybrid is 4k more than the petrol offering terrible economics for a buyer at the lower end of the market.

Skoda superb phev is also shockingly expensive.

Lantus wrote: »
    Because it's an expensive luxury car. Someone purchasing a new 5 series hardly needs to save money and the extra expenses of phev in the first place is likely not an issue compared to the many other luxury options on offer.

Compared to say the kona soft hybrid where the hybrid is 4k more than the petrol offering terrible economics for a buyer at the lower end of the market.

Skoda superb phev is also shockingly expensive.

Not sure all PHEV’s are a bad economic purchase - the Superb is v dear but the new PHEV Leon looks great value at 31k before dealer discounts - not bad for a 204bhp car. The Megane isn’t bad value at around 28k. The Sorento PHEV is one I’ll look at v closely for 50k - it’s over 10k cheaper than the AWD Diesel and is fully loaded

I didn’t realise the 530e was over 80k now, that one that Bob Flavin? had was 85k which really is daft money for a 2.0 petrol turbo, the 520d is probably more economical for most drivers. Price and running costs are a consideration for most 5 series / E class buyers - hence the number of 2.0 diesels out there

• Advertisement

Not sure all PHEV’s are a bad economic purchase - the Superb is v dear but the new PHEV Leon looks great value at 31k before dealer discounts - not bad for a 204bhp car. The Megane isn’t bad value at around 28k. The Sorento PHEV is one I’ll look at v closely for 50k - it’s over 10k cheaper than the AWD Diesel and is fully loaded

I didn’t realise the 530e was over 80k now, that one that Bob Flavin? had was 85k which really is daft money for a 2.0 petrol turbo, the 520d is probably more economical for most drivers. Price and running costs are a consideration for most 5 series / E class buyers - hence the number of 2.0 diesels out there

That must have been loaded with some amount of kit. Saw the price myself on screen, but wasn't too shocked as I've seen 520ds in showrooms on more than 1 occasion for over 80k too.

That must have been loaded with some amount of kit. Saw the price myself on screen, but wasn't too shocked as I've seen 520ds in showrooms on more than 1 occasion for over 80k too.

He said in the video it didn’t even have adaptive cruise!

What are peoples thoughts on the 530i? Does it drink petrol?

Starting to see a few appearing up north at not crazy money but wonder would a 520d be a better bet?

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series/fpa/202101198137282?journey=Search

Theres a 530e for under 55k, although it's an SE

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series/fpa/202101288447426?journey=Search

And a nice looking 545e msport for under 80k

Starting to see a few appearing up north at not crazy money but wonder would a 520d be a better bet?

You dont buy a 530i if you think a 520d will be a better bet.
    There is no crossover imo between the 2. For example, if you do the mileage, you need diesel and a 530i even though its a 2.0 turbo will be severe.
    If you dont do diesel mileage, why even consider a 20d.
    The 530i looks quite rare - itself and the 530e are very close on performance. Ive a feeling the 530i would be a depreciation disaster once plug in becomes more main stream.
    For a low mileage user who plans to keep for a long time, the 530i would be lovely.

There is no crossover imo between the 2. For example, if you do the mileage, you need diesel and a 530i even though its a 2.0 turbo will be severe.
    If you dont do diesel mileage, why even consider a 20d.
    The 530i looks quite rare - itself and the 530e are very close on performance. Ive a feeling the 530i would be a depreciation disaster once plug in becomes more main stream.
    For a low mileage user who plans to keep for a long time, the 530i would be lovely.

Mileage dropped off a bit but at least 30k and potentially 40k with a lot of 600km day’s. Would a 530i do 8 litres per 100km average mixed driving?

Mileage dropped off a bit but at least 30k and potentially 40k with a lot of 600km day’s. Would a 530i do 8 litres per 100km average mixed driving?

Have to go diesel on that mileage

You would be mad to go for 530i with that mileage.
    A 530d surely you need.

The 530e is strange, in that it could suit a shorter ranger driver, or higher mileage drivers, equally. It's entirely dependent on individual usage.

Take someone in a near ideal situation, commuting approx 50km to work & plugging in there too. No chargepoint necessary, just a standard 3 pin socket.

They could conceivably cover their 25,000 km commute, without ever using a drop of petrol. Electricity would cost them just €8 per week :eek:.

They'd have cheaper tolls, cheaper tax, 290hp on tap in a luxury German saloon & that silky smooth torquey ride from the electric/petrol combo. A great proposition - never worry about public chargers, head off across continental €urope (once lockdown ends, in 2024 :eek:), worry free etc.

Conversely, for someone who wouldn't be arsed ever plugging in, belting up & down the motorways several days a week, the 530e isn't for them.

That said, it's actually not that bad on petrol on motorway runs, to be fair. 7l/100km is common enough. Compared to a diesel, at say 5l/100km, the 530e would be 2c/km more expensive.
    A return trip from Dublin to Cork, 500km, would be €10 more in the 530e, but given you could easily save that €10 on the days you're within 50km battery range & given the refinement of the petrol, it's nothing really.
    Oh, you'd save half of it on the reduced tolls anyway!

It's a pity the new 530e is gone so expensive :(.

Yep, clear diesel territory there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement