Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any 530e owners out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

Kramer wrote: »
    The 530e is strange, in that it could suit a shorter ranger driver, or higher mileage drivers, equally. It's entirely dependent on individual usage.

Take someone in a near ideal situation, commuting approx 50km to work & plugging in there too. No chargepoint necessary, just a standard 3 pin socket.

They could conceivably cover their 25,000 km commute, without ever using a drop of petrol. Electricity would cost them just €8 per week :eek:.

They'd have cheaper tolls, cheaper tax, 290hp on tap in a luxury German saloon & that silky smooth torquey ride from the electric/petrol combo. A great proposition - never worry about public chargers, head off across continental €urope (once lockdown ends, in 2024 :eek:), worry free etc.

Conversely, for someone who wouldn't be arsed ever plugging in, belting up & down the motorways several days a week, the 530e isn't for them.

That said, it's actually not that bad on petrol on motorway runs, to be fair. 7l/100km is common enough. Compared to a diesel, at say 5l/100km, the 530e would be 2c/km more expensive.
    A return trip from Dublin to Cork, 500km, would be €10 more in the 530e, but given you could easily save that €10 on the days you're within 50km battery range & given the refinement of the petrol, it's nothing really.
    Oh, you'd save half of it on the reduced tolls anyway!

It's a pity the new 530e is gone so expensive :(.

Certainly has a lot going for it, the major problem with it has to be the tiny boot- it’s too small for a car of this class. It’s a real shame BMW didn’t take a bit longer with the design to find a solution to placing batteries without affecting the boot space - others such as Volvo have managed to do this. The 530e Touring is much more practical but a lot dearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Kramer

Casati wrote: »
    Certainly has a lot going for it, the major problem with it has to be the tiny boot- it’s too small for a car of this class.

I wouldn't say the boot is tiny. It's not a Hyundai Kona :P.

It's just shallow. It's as long as the non PHEVs & I'd recommend getting the folding rear seats. The biggest issue is the fact it's a saloon & the opening/aperture is small.
    Like everything, it's a compromise & might be a good fit for some while entirely unsuitable for others.

We travelled to Switzerland in ours in 2019 for example & the boot was plenty adequate, while I needed to carry a single oven recently (60x60x50cm) & it wasn't possible in the saloon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

I wouldn't say the boot is tiny. It's not a Hyundai Kona :P.

It's just shallow. It's as long as the non PHEVs & I'd recommend getting the folding rear seats. The biggest issue is the fact it's a saloon & the opening/aperture is small.
    Like everything, it's a compromise & might be a good fit for some while entirely unsuitable for others.

We travelled to Switzerland in ours in 2019 for example & the boot was plenty adequate, while I needed to carry a single oven recently (60x60x50cm) & it wasn't possible in the saloon.

Fair enough not tiny in absolute terms but too small for my needs - and a lot smaller than I’d expect in this class of car. The new 330e Touring might suit me better - I haven’t been in one but have heard that interior legroom is v similar to the 5 series now?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Small boot is my only gripe with the 530e too.
    My mams boot is smaller than our 520d.
    They battery bump is quite noticeable especially for those of use with young baby buggies. The height is noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

fitted the black kidney grille this week:
    :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭markobucko

fifth wrote: »
    fitted the black kidney grille this week:
    :cool:

Lovely addition 👌

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Bif

Folks. One for current 530e owners. How reliable has your car been? If you had issues what were they? Would you buy one without a long warranty? Thanks.

Bif wrote: »
    Folks. One for current 530e owners. How reliable has your car been? If you had issues what were they? Would you buy one without a long warranty? Thanks.

No issues. New car in 2019, just had its 1st service so 33k km. There's a full factory warranty for 3 years on the 530e.
    I'd be reluctant to own one with higher mileage/older, without a warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Bif wrote: »

Bought a 172 530e about 6 weeks ago. Delighted with it when it works like it should. Msport with 20" wheels would have usually put me off but very smooth and comfortable (E92 Msport coupe a few years ago would rattle the fillings out of your teeth on poor roads).

Problem with mine is the dash display only works roughly half the time. Coin toss whether I know how fast I'm going or how much petrol or electricity I have. It's back with BMW for the 2nd time at the moment. Previously they did a system update on the suspicion that the car had failed to update over the air.

Now they say the dash display needs to be replaced. Waiting to be updated on the progress of goodwill warranty, seeing as the car is so old!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭eggerb

No issues. New car in 2019, just had its 1st service so 33k km. There's a full factory warranty for 3 years on the 530e.
    I'd be reluctant to own one with higher mileage/older, without a warranty.

I received the attached quote off Allianz for the BMW Insured Warranty that’s offered to owners when the three year BMW warranty expires. Might be worth considering for anybody who’s interested in a second hand 530e or a 530e where the BMW warranty is about to expire. What do folks here reckon? Worthwhile? I’m thinking the €335 excess.

www.bmw-warranty.ie

Full extended warranty details attached. Roadside assistance seemed a pricey addition at first but if you tell your own insurance at renewal you do not want their rescue add on and consider a couple of days car rental is included, it is probably not the worst value. Accommodation also included if you’re away from home. With the 530e, I am reckoning the only real level worth considering is the comprehensive cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I think getting that warranty would be money well spent. It's not overly expensive for what you get and it would give you great peace of mind for the next 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

eggerb wrote: »
    I received the attached quote off Allianz for the BMW Insured Warranty that’s offered to owners when the three year BMW warranty expires. Might be worth considering for anybody who’s interested in a second hand 530e or a 530e where the BMW warranty is about to expire. What do folks here reckon? Worthwhile? I’m thinking the €335 excess.

www.bmw-warranty.ie

I took the same approach and went for comp with 335 excess. Just some peace of mind if things go very wrong.

eggerb wrote: »
    I received the attached quote off Allianz for the BMW Insured Warranty that’s offered to owners when the three year BMW warranty expires. .........What do folks here reckon? Worthwhile? I’m thinking the €335 excess. .....

It's probably well worth the tenner per week.
    Look at it this way - €1,500 from brand new, for 5 years servicing & full warranty (3 years free from factory, 2 years additional warranty & €429 for the service pack).

Put that way, it'd be a no brainer at purchase time, given how expensive BMWs can be when they go wrong.

I likely won't be needing additional warranty but it's good info to be able to pass on to the new owner, when the time comes.

milltown wrote: »
    Bought a 172 530e about 6 weeks ago. Delighted with it when it works like it should.

Now they say the dash display needs to be replaced. Waiting to be updated on the progress of goodwill warranty, seeing as the car is so old!

I take it you didn't buy from a BMW main dealer? Or any dealer?
    As far as I know, you've a come back against the seller, provided it was a dealer/trader.
    6 weeks - sounds like the issue was there when you bought it to be honest.

Hope they sort it for you FOC anyway :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

It's probably well worth the tenner per week.
    Look at it this way - €1,500 from brand new, for 5 years servicing & full warranty (3 years free from factory, 2 years additional warranty & €429 for the service pack).

Put that way, it'd be a no brainer at purchase time, given how expensive BMWs can be when they go wrong.

I likely won't be needing additional warranty but it's good info to be able to pass on to the new owner, when the time comes.

I presume you can buy this anytime during the first three years? Will it cover you to the same extent as the manufacturers warranty e.g. where anything that goes wrong is covered (wear items excepted)?

Not sure where the tenner a week came from?

I presume you can buy this anytime during the first three years? Will it cover you to the same extent as the manufacturers warranty e.g. where anything that goes wrong is covered (wear items excepted)?

The cost of the cover is 500+ with the higher excess.
    52 weeks of 10 euro ..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Seems expensive to me, its 574 euro for something that might go, then if it does, its 900 euro you would have paid that year.

BMW are not selling this insurance to make a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Overall they're up alright. I wouldn't buy it, I'd take my chances but that's just me. For others, it makes sense.
    Question to 530e owners from a very interested purchaser....have you purchased the warranty or interested in the extended warranty because it's a PHEV with knew and possibly unproven battery tech or would you be just as interested if you were buying an ICE?

What year was the introduction of the newer improved battery ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

markobucko wrote: »
    What year was the introduction of the newer improved battery ?

Should be from 192 reg onwards but you could still have older batteries on cars registered later

Going to install a home charge point for the 530e but want to future proof if possible. Was looking at a BMW i Wallbox but BMW are no longer selling these from January 2021.

Was going for the iWallbox because I thought it looked the part more than anything else.. but looking for a suitable alternative.
    Something that will charge this car and any potential full EV I buy after this (and also look nice on the outside of the house).

Any recommendations? Do charge points include the required Type 2 to Type 2 cable or is this an additional expense?

edit: looks like tethered vs untethered with untethered meaning you supply your own cable?

Going to install a home charge point for the 530e but want to future proof if possible. Was looking at a BMW i Wallbox but BMW are no longer selling these from January 2021.

Was going for the iWallbox because I thought it looked the part more than anything else.. but looking for a suitable alternative.
    Something that will charge this car and any potential full EV I buy after this (and also look nice on the outside of the house).

Any recommendations? Do charge points include the required Type 2 to Type 2 cable or is this an additional expense?

edit: looks like tethered vs untethered with untethered meaning you supply your own cable?

Future proof?

Get a zappi or similar that can load balance and take solar PV surplus.

I had the bmw wall box. Sold it. Big nuisance of a thing sitting there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Seems expensive to me, its 574 euro for something that might go, then if it does, its 900 euro you would have paid that year.

BMW are not selling this insurance to make a loss.

And if you dont have it and the car starts throwing difficult to diagnose electrical faults - it could be 9000 as opposed to 900 you are looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lobbylad

Anyone ever have any problems with the charging flap sensor? I keep getting "Charging Flap Open", tried opening/closing it a few times but still getting the warning?

Gumbo wrote: »
    Future proof?

Get a zappi or similar that can load balance and take solar PV surplus.

I had the bmw wall box. Sold it. Big nuisance of a thing sitting there.

By future proof I meant, I should probably get a 22kw charger

That BMW box looks the business (beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;) )

If I can't get one from my local dealership and ordered one from here would I have any issues with installing that here?

By future proof I meant, I should probably get a 22kw charger

That BMW box looks the business (beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;) )

If I can't get one from my local dealership and ordered one from here would I have any issues with installing that here?

Can you ever get 22kw at home? That requires 3 phase connection.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Can you ever get 22kw at home? That requires 3 phase connection.

:confused: Not sure really.

Is it possible to buy a charge point with a lower max kw rating? Or, is there any point in doing that as it'll only use what it has available from the house?

:confused: Not sure really.

Is it possible to buy a charge point with a lower max kw rating? Or, is there any point in doing that as it'll only use what it has available from the house?

It will only use what the house can supply. Currently that’s 7kw from 99% of single phase dwellings assuming the correct wiring and RCBO fitted.

I take it you didn't buy from a BMW main dealer? Or any dealer?
    As far as I know, you've a come back against the seller, provided it was a dealer/trader.
    6 weeks - sounds like the issue was there when you bought it to be honest.

Hope they sort it for you FOC anyway :).

Bought from a non BMW dealer, who has been A1 all the way and will do what it takes to sort the car either way.

I'd like to think BMW would offer goodwill on it though.

It doesn't make sense to me that a TV or laptop is expected to last 5 years per the sale of goods act, but a car manufacturer can say hard luck on a car that cost €70k, if it's a few months outside warranty.

• Advertisement

milltown wrote: »
    Bought from a non BMW dealer, who has been A1 all the way and will do what it takes to sort the car either way.

I'd like to think BMW would offer goodwill on it though.

The problem, as I see it, is BMW main dealers sell "pre approved" or "dealer certified" used BMWs. They inspect these, likely service them & consequently offer them with a year or two warranty.

Obviously, you pay a premium for buying from the main dealer but do get that extra warranty & peace of mind.

That would be worthless if independent dealers simply took cars back to BMW & expected good will repairs.

Nothing against independents & it sounds like you've a good relationship with the seller of your 530e, but if you had bought from the main dealer, you'd have either had a BMW used warranty or more likely to receive good will.

But paid more...........

Hope it's sorted soon anyway :).

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Question to 530e owners from a very interested purchaser....have you purchased the warranty or interested in the extended warranty because it's a PHEV with knew and possibly unproven battery tech or would you be just as interested if you were buying an ICE?

I'd buy the extended warranty because of the likely expense, should something major go wrong. It's a high value & new car so would necessitate genuine BMW parts. I would question independents capacity to tackle a gearbox/motor issue, given the nature of the drivetrain too & their lack of experience with it.

BMW can charge upwards of €200 per hour for labour :eek:.
    Heck, a wheel alignment costs that, or more from a BMW main dealer!

Now, if an ECU failed, or part of the transmission, you'd be facing thousands & 100% have to go through BMW.

I'd have no issue owning an older ICE BMW, sans warranty, but I think the 530e is too new to risk a costly repair. At 5 or 6 years, I'd be less wary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Lad in work is thinking of getting a new 530e. He says it comes with a 12kw battery and he wants to know the charge time and real world range. He's asked me as I have 2 ev's..
    I'm having a tough finding any specs on it?
    Any help?
    Cheers in advance.

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Lad in work is thinking of getting a new 530e. He says it comes with a 12kw battery and he wants to know the charge time and real world range. He's asked me as I have 2 ev's..
    Any help?
    Cheers in advance.

12 kWh battery.
    3.6 kw OBC

12/3.6 = 3.5 hours give or take at home using an EVSE.
    Granny cable longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭IdHidden

lobbylad wrote: »
    Anyone ever have any problems with the charging flap sensor? I keep getting "Charging Flap Open", tried opening/closing it a few times but still getting the warning?

Yes I had the same issue, had to bring the car to the dealership and get it replaced.

The problem, as I see it, is BMW main dealers sell "pre approved" or "dealer certified" used BMWs. They inspect these, likely service them & consequently offer them with a year or two warranty.

Obviously, you pay a premium for buying from the main dealer but do get that extra warranty & peace of mind.

That would be worthless if independent dealers simply took cars back to BMW & expected good will repairs.

Nothing against independents & it sounds like you've a good relationship with the seller of your 530e, but if you had bought from the main dealer, you'd have either had a BMW used warranty or more likely to receive good will.

But paid more...........

Hope it's sorted soon anyway :).

Got word today they'll replace the dash clocks under warranty with €300 from my dealer towards labour. Decent result.

Parts not due in until middle of next week though.

It looks to be very similar covered. It’s possible to buy it even 3.5 years in but anything pre-existing wouldn’t be covered. Best to aim for no break in cover, I’d reckon to avoid discussion down the line.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Overall they're up alright. I wouldn't buy it, I'd take my chances but that's just me. For others, it makes sense.

For similar value ICEs, I probably wouldn’t be considering it but even in the 520d, a problem with your iDrive could be costing you a few euro. I agree it’s pricey ... it’ll be more than I pay to Aviva for fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Any help?
    Cheers in advance.

Charge time is roughly 4.5 hours using granny cable (3 pin) and roughly 3.5 hours when using 3.7kw cable.

In winters with pre-heating & air conditioning, I am getting 30-35km and its usually over 40km in the summer time with the best being 48.5km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

You can buy it anytime during first 3 years and if you buy the zero excess comprehensive policy then its similar to manufacturers warranty. AFAIK a short break in cover will not void a claim.

There's a website https://www.bmw-warranty.ie/ which is supposed to quote you but I have never seen it working, as it keeps saying call warranty services. An email to Allianz team will get you quotes but it looks like the website has been designed to quote you once the factory warranty expires (I may be wrong though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

SummerK wrote: »

There's a website https://www.bmw-warranty.ie/ which is supposed to quote you but I have never seen it working, as it keeps saying call warranty services. An email to Allianz team will get you quotes but it looks like the website has been designed to quote you once the factory warranty expires (I may be wrong though).

You'll get a web quote from a month before the factory warranty expires until the day it expires.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Sorry for what might be a noob question but can the EV house chargers be purchased separately from the deals that supply the installation process aswell.??
    My father is an electrician and I’d rather have him fit it than some brut punching holes to the fuse board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Wow... I'm the OP on this thread. It just popped up on my home page.

Surprised to see it's still running. Looks like lots of 530e owners around!

markobucko wrote: »
    Sorry for what might be a noob question but can the EV house chargers be purchased separately from the deals that supply the installation process aswell.??
    My father is an electrician and I’d rather have him fit it than some brut punching holes to the fuse board

Yes. See the home chargepoint thread for more.

If he’s registered you can still avail of the grant too.

Does anybody have any feedback on their experience of consumption to date?
    HonestJohn.co.uk puts it at an average of 47.1mpg or 6 litres per 100 km

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/bmw/5-series-2017/530e

I’ve done my own calculations but I’m reckoning my high petrol consumption figure is incorrect because I’ve overestimated electric only drive based on the edrive total since last trip reset. That electric figure includes recuperated kilowatts and not kilowatts from my granny cable. If so, those recuperated kilowatts would need to be attributed to the petrol consumption as the energy that powered them came from the petrol and not my house supply/granny cable. Any thoughts appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am getting 6.4l per 100k. About 75% of my driving is motorway driving.

Lots of detail in some of my previous posts.
    This is with a 2019, 9.2kWh car.

I'd take a picture of the consumption occasionally.
    Results were:

1.9l/100km over 1047km
    3.9l/100km over 2465km
    4.9l/100km over 3642km
    7.4l/100km over 3177km

The lowest was on a regular daily commute of 50km approx, for a month. Charged every night. 1.9l.
    Highest was a 3,200km trip to Switzerland, lots of high speed/autobahn at 200km+ :eek:.
    It was only charged twice on that trip - 7.4l.

Everything else was in between, but without checking, I'd reckon my average consumption has been just under 5l/100km, or 60mpg, for coming up on 40,000km soon.
    It's a cheap enough car to run, but it'll vary for everyone.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/ireland/article/detail/T0270077EN/the-bmw-530e-iperformance?language=en

YolB06L.jpg

For all the naysayers who said this was just marketing w@nk - yesterday, in my 530e...........
    1047km at an average of 41.8km/h.
    Electrical consumption - 17.7kWh/100km.

cNP19tA.jpg
    eEXYbnt.jpg

808/1047 electric/petrol - charged once every day for 20 days (4 weeks, Mon- Friday), short commute, few motorway runs too.
    There's no secret - it's how you drive it. The nature of the roads, urban/rural with low(ish) average speeds, eco mode, a light right foot, coasting etc. You won't see 40km on a motorway etc. but you're using 40kWh/100km+ if getting just 20kms. That's crazy high consumption.

Mine averages 20kWh/100km - it's displayed on your dash as you drive along - the instant use & average, in blue. 20kWh/100km with an 8kWh battery = 40km, average.

From last month - I averaged just 14.2kWh/100km at an average speed of 60km/h for a 19km trip, before I recharged to 100%. That consumption would yield 56km range on an 8kWh usable battery.
    For comparison, an efficient BEV (Ioniq) could do that with half that consumption again, 7 or 8kWh/100km.

At 20km, you're up at 40+ :eek:.

ORRX7Cy.jpg

I'll get less in winter with wet roads, more heating etc., probably in the 30/35km range.

If you're trying to remove rubber from your rear tyres, fair enough - but that will seriously reduce your electric only range :).
    Some fuel consumption figures since last summer I had meant to post.
    BMW include the battery energy consumed in these figures too so actual l/100km of petrol is lower. Significantly lower depending on the ratio of petrol to electricity used.

CCHrUaS.jpg
    YKcY7xw.jpg
    HbhAP9F.jpg
    eTABmjr.jpg

Interesting comparison here on expected (total) range with a full tank (46l), one after mostly petrol running & the other after largely battery running.

MICxLzt.jpg
    ikstTxQ.jpg

Without checking, I think it's averaging approx. 5l/100km (almost 60mpg).

Very happy with it :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Lots of detail in some of my previous posts.
    This is with a 2019, 9.2kWh car.

I'd take a picture of the consumption occasionally.
    Results were:

1.9l/100km over 1047km
    3.9l/100km over 2465km
    4.9l/100km over 3642km
    7.4l/100km over 3177km

The lowest was on a regular daily commute of 50km approx, for a month. Charged every night. 1.9l.
    Highest was a 3,200km trip to Switzerland, lots of high speed/autobahn at 200km+ :eek:.
    It was only charged twice on that trip - 7.4l.

Everything else was in between, but without checking, I'd reckon my average consumption has been just under 5l/100km, or 60mpg, for coming up on 40,000km soon.
    It's a cheap enough car to run, but it'll vary for everyone.

How did you reset all your stats on the Connected app to get them working? While the main details on mine are always correct for me (e-range / hybrid range), I can't reset the All trips avg combined consumption on mine.

Also, 17.7kWh/100km :eek::eek::eek: Mine is at 28kWh/100km????

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Is everyone using a proper EV charger for their 530e or is anyone using just a granny charger? More than likely going to pick up a 530e myself in the next week or 2, the 2 I've looked at so far only have granny cables. Is it worth having a charger installed, I already have a 3 pin socket outside my house, and we won't have another EV in the household anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭the corpo

I've just been using the granny charger overnight. Getting a proper EV charger isn't worth the hassle for me at the moment (old house, wiring issues) and it's not been bothering me.

If these restrictions ever ease and I'm doing more miles it may become irritating, but really, once you're charging over night, the time it takes doesn't really matter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement