Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any 530e owners out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭GPoint

BMW seem to only care about iPhone, CarPlay works flawlessly in fairness and it’s wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Thats one thing i need to activate is CarPlay and find out if i have the wifi antenna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think there is a software update available from dealers to enable android auto on G3x models build from July 2019 onwards with iDrive 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

I got my 192 530e M Sport(bigger battery from 192 on) before xmas. Range has been about 32km with the recent temps. Was up at 42km today when temps rose to 11 degrees. Very happy with the car. I moved from a 520d M Sport and find im saving about 25% on fuel costs when i take electricity prices on board. No night rate or anything.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I got it activated and bought an antenna and installed it myself. A little scary to pop everything out and back in but it was pretty easy and various good YouTubes etc. 100% use CarPlay for everything now. Out of interest I have a 520d and half considering a 22 model and keen on a 530e, partly because of the number of them around thanks to the import deals for garages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Have you done any longer trips? I’ve done a few test drives but can’t really get a feel for consumption on those. The electric only mode is impressive though.

Any options that people think are must haves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Head Up Display and upgraded Harman Kardon sound system are must have's for me. The adaptive headlights are very useful if you do a lot of rural night driving. Comfort seats are a nice upgrade too but can be rare enough to find.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have the higher Bowers & Wilkins sound in mine. The speakers actually light up to match the ambient lighting! Really nice.

Adaptive LED headlights are great. They light up pedestrians or cyclists in dark spots of the road when driving. Nice feature.

Also have the comfort massage memory seats in the front.

still suffered from the normal bmw steering wheel degradation, I got it retrimmed last year and it’s made a huge difference. They added “love” handles to the wheel when retrimming it.

Post edited by Gumbo on

So a little info that to long term drives of the 530e maybe redundant but to newer drivers might be useful.

My Commute - Ashbourne to Parkwest - 34km in total, N2 onto M50, off at Redcow and drive into Parkwest via normal route.

Overnight charge set to kick in at 11pm and is done just after 3am to 100%, Range on entering car at 6am is 28km. Drove on electric from house, through village to Pillo Hotel and onto N2, i have set to switch to petrol from 85kw/h so that happens and i get to near the M50 where the speed drops again and electric kicks in. I am a relaxed driver so onto M50 i just sit on the inside lane to the red cow. for the majority of this its about 85 or just below so mostly on electric. From redcow to office its electric only.

STATS

Time 27 Mins

Distance 34km

Avg Speed 72km/h

3.2 l/100km

Charge left 45%

Delighted with this as i will recharge at office, same return journey so i think when temp rises will be better still and could maybe increase the kick in from 86km/h to 90 or 100 and get an even better return

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I have a similar journey length to my office ( Don't go in every day). 34/35kms

My journey is rural roads for the 1st 5 or 6 km then motorway/dual carriageway until the last km or so.

I set my car to "Max eDrive" (which covers full motorway speeds) and I can make the entire journey fully electric on the vast majority of trips - On very cold days where I end up needing to have the heating running all the time to keep the windows clear , I sometimes run out a few kms before the destination , but only rarely.

I can then charge fully in the office and do the return journey fully electric as well.

I'm still getting 34 in this weather in my 2018, I'm wondering is there any chance is has the bigger battery.

Is there a way to manually check what KW the battery is? My car was first registered half way through the month December 2018 so it's basically a 2019 car

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Woodie40

My partner has bought a new 330e, she had a full ev, but didn’t suit her.

The new 5 series hybrid is an interesting proposition, must get a test drive in it.

She loves the heads up display as well, Car Play (an absolute essential for her) and just the level of comfort in it.

interesting, once i get my charge cable for the office i may try this approach. I am wondering what the best overall drive setting is and trying to work out what gets me best miles on electric

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Look in the app under "charging History" and see how many Kw/h are used to charge the car from empty.

The bigger battery came with the slightly facelifted car , which I think only came out around July/August of 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭PaoloGotti

Hi, thanks for this. Couple of questions:

How much kWh goes into charging? This is important to add to consumption cost. I often see PHEV L/100km quoted which is not the complete cost.

Also, why the 45% charge left? Especially if you can recharge at the office. Wouldn’t it be cheaper to use practically all the charge?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

The bigger battery version has the newer style of virtual cockpit/digital dash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Bigger battery models would have the updated instrument cluster like this one;

Are you actually getting 34km or is that what’s displayed at 100%?

Our 100% will show 42km but don’t get that. But she drives in auto mode so not strictly trying to extract every last EV mile.

Look for the newer digital dash. Mine is the older digital dash.

I have my car set to default to "Max eDrive" on start as it suits my typical driving pattern.

Most of my typical "round trip" journeys are usually doable fully electric -I live in the countryside and the round trip to the nearest town for shopping etc. is about 25km for example.

If I know I'm doing a longer trip I'll switch over to Auto.

Yeah I have the older style dash. I do get 34km but I am in slow moving traffic , mine seems to be very accurate because the computer must be accustomed to basically doing the same trip twice a week every week, my routine doesn't change.

If I turn on heating forget that range though

• Advertisement

Still figuring out the best way of driving in so i will be increasing the speed at which the engine kicks in at to use most battery possible when arriving in office or back home

Ours is a lot of short distance range. But we drive it like any other car. AC on and hot temp, 22,23 etc

thanks for the recommendation on options! it’s hard to find a car with them all!

What do people make of xdrive on the 530e? Not sure it’s the best option based on the extra weight and complexity, it’s already a heavy car.

I’ve actually never drove an XDrive 5 series.

I have one, but as I've never really driven a regular RWD 5 Series I don't really have a point of reference to compare the two.

I like how it drives and it still has a decent amount of rear wheel bias so it still feels like a RWD most of the time.

You feel the 4WD on an "enthusiastic" launch in that it doesn't fishtail and largely just gets traction down and gets going , but in the corners most of the drive is coming from the rear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Xdrive 4WD improves traction in dangerous driving conditions, such as snow, ice, rocks, and other scenarios that can make control difficult. Ireland rarely gets snow and ice so deffo not worth the extra cost and weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Mine is X Drive, it makes a massive difference when we have snow and frost as we did last week,

my previous rear wheel drive cars were unusable in those conditions.

Would not agree that there is little use for xDrive in Ireland. Any junction uphill on a wet day where you need to pull out from quickly is where xDrive comes in very handy. No wheel spin and risk of skidding, just floor it and it pulls like train even in the wet. On the icy surface it also helps greatly. So if there was xDrive on the car you find don’t dismiss it, you will appreciate it!

Interesting on the xdrive feedback - I’ll try and test drive both and see if I can feel any difference. I don’t see it being a dealbreaker on a particular car either way tbh.

I used to just have a set of all season 16” winter wheels for my E39! Much better solution if you have the space for them.

Winter tyres will trump the AWD in Ireland IMO too, particularly in an urban environment. There may be outlier cases though that AWD is required.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Advertisement

My 2021 530e msport doesn't have xdrive and i never once noticed any loss of traction and i often pull away fast in the wet.

Agreed on tyres but if the car you find has an xDrive it will be a nice bonus. Just after you get used to it you may find that you are spinning wheels sometimes if you drive other car, that happens to me when I jump into a fwd car.

I am comparing f30 3 series rear wheel drive to a g30 5 series xDrive. Had to be careful with f30 in few places but never had issues with 5 series but this is very rare we don’t have black ice every day in winter here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭WacoKid

Don't have xDrive and in bad conditions may have a minor slip here and there pulling off but the traction control kicks in very quickly. Cold tyres contribute also. Any slip is done and dusted in a second.

Currently sitting at 26/28 for a full charge in my 2018. Think that will rise when a ittle warmer. Quick question. Is it normal to drive from home to point A and then have say 15km left, park up and return to the car say 5 hrs later and there be a little drain in that time? so the range drops from 15 down to say 13km?

Due to my geeky nature and Analytics background I am tracking all usage in a PowerBI dashboard. Everything from unit price per kWh charge, time charge, range, fuel cost, even dropped in a prediction model so i can adjust electric per unit price on a sliding percentage scale and see the imapact on future cost...... i have way to much time on my hand 😂

Yes,

The estimated range is based on the current driving profile.

So when you arrive home, the estimation is based on a warm battery and however you have been driving in the preceeding journey on the assumption that you keep driving like that.

When you get back in to the car the next time, the estimate is factoring in that the battery is now cold etc. so will show a lower range projection

ahhhh ha, makes sense, everyday a learning day

Put a deposit on a 222 Touring today with the following options:

Panoramic Sunroof

Adaptive suspension

Harmon kardon sound system 

Full Electric comfort seats 

Adaptive LED lights shadowline

Heated steering wheel 

Heads up display 

Comfort Keyless access

Non XDrive

thanks a for all the advice and options chat, really helpful.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

• Advertisement

Congratulations.

Sounds like you got the technology pack. Has it got wireless charging for phone?

Yep, although it’s a tight fit with a pro max!

I had a s21 ultra when i got my 2021 msport g30, had to get rid and get a s23 non ultra to fit.

I have the tech pack, its great. The HK speaker system sounds great.

Didn’t get a chance to try the gesture controls but the auto parking parking feature was very impressive although a little fast for my liking 😬

I rarely use the gesture control but its good if you can remember and master the gestures. Can end calls with it too. I gesticulate sometimes when talking so its a nuisance for me as i sometimes unintentionally mute or skip stations or songs on spotify.

• Advertisement

The dealer said you can set a finger movement that turns all the screens off and puts it into a night mode with the heads up on for night driving.

Not uncommon for the range to say 1km left when finishing a journey for example, and then come back the next time and it says 3km!

Can vouch for the comfort seats, heated steering wheel, and heads up display. I'd always look to spec these again in the future. Comfort access is a nice feature too.

Use it now and then but it doesn't add a lot tbh. Kids like to play around with it!

Have to say i am chuffed to bits, Friday 20th i filled the car and the range was 451km. Just filled it today for 65euro, range now 658km, for the last 200km i am on a 2.2L/100km return, from 20th i did 344km on electric but only this week charging from office and home so i expect that new tank of fuel to last a lot longer. Charged today in office and had 28km range and that got me the 33km home all bar the last 2km or less. Delighted

• Advertisement
Advertisement